Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before Triathlete mag, there was Triathon mag, and before that Triathlon News, and Running and Triathlon News.. A few more names, Mike Plant, Jim Curl, Ken SHirk, Carl Thomas, Pat Hines , Sally Edwards, Tom Warren, Harold Johnson, Penny Little, Michel Gilmore, Kathleen McCartney, Ted Pulaski, George and Nancy Hoover, and Dr Ferddy Massimano.

Toe straps
External brake cables
36 cross wheels
changing clothes and tying shoes between events
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, If I recall this correctly my first tri suit was one similar to one you were wearing in a race called "The Mighty Hamptons" (I think). The suit was made by "Forte", not a great suit but it was ok at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kestrel 4000
Grip Shift
QR lycra seat covers
Trimble mono carbon frame
Nishiki Alien NFS
Coke series singlet
the original Niagra Triathlon (with a 50 degree no wetsuit swim) 1986
Ray Browning
Collen Cannon
Lisa Lahti
Kirsten Hansen Ames
Andrew McNaughton
Andrew McMartin
Kevin MacKinnon as a pro
Exceed
Terri Smith Ross
Sue Schlatter
Augie Marmelo
those last few require you to have some Canadian in your blood
....I'm gonna have to go pull out the old Tri mag collection now and one up you guys. Seems one too many car accidents has left my memory failing
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thompson Timeless Transition pedals. Platform pedals for running shoes, created I believe by Joel Thompson of Biathlon fame. Are they still around?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 - Goodie / schwag bags at at races.
- Discounts at pre race expos.
- race day signups.
- Dans Equalizer race in Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Banana Wham

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a picture of me riding in a triathlon with a cycling cap on backwards. I guess not all tris required helmets in the early 80s. I know we only wore them in races because we had to back then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a trithalon publication, but Winning magazine was always good.
Avenir Helmets
The original Bell aero helmets, one of which I still own
Zinca
Sampson Clipless pedals
Last edited by: MLSimpson: May 25, 07 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Aero bars, what are those?
2. Dolphin running shorts
3. ERG
4. Bud Light at the end of races
5. Wet suit, you mean like for surfing?
6. Nike, the best running shoe.

Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leon's Tri? I am right now wearing that shirt from 1991. It has three bicyclists at the bottom, orange, lime green, yellow, violet, and more. It says Leon's Tri-Fed.

rtk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I ride indoors I wear my biking shorts saying rst, made for anyone who was around that newsgroup, all arranged by Slowtwitch. I think I had a shirt too and I think both were made by DeSoto.

rtk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driving to the Wildflower triathlon and parking in the lot that is the current transition area and walking a few short yards to transition. Shuttle busses??
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolphin shorts, yea. Remember when the young cuties started wearing them like all the time? Most probably weren't even runners but they looked fine in those shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [MLSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved Winning magazine!

A few more:

Colleen Cannon
Joanne Ernst
Julianne White
Julie and Bill Leach

I still have a pair of the Scott DH bars and those Oakleys.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winning was the best. I still have a copy from 1992 with Big Mig on the cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
16. A piece of elastic sewn together as your race belt
17. No such thing as trail shoes
18. Mt. Bikes with no shocks
19. Run, Bike, Swim Triathlons
20. Sam Posey doing color for ABC Ironman coverage
21. Liz Downing
22. "No public nudity" signs in transition
23. Running magazine
24. Spenco Frost Guard
25. Nice Triathlon
26. Bill Rogers running gear
27. Frank Shorter running gear
28. Tinley wear
Last edited by: pdxjohn: May 26, 07 7:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $350 Centurion RS with a lycra seat cover (1987 model - first year of Shimano index shifting, I think)
Vetta helmets & seats
Shimano 600 components
Bio-pace chain rings
Exceed
The Big Four
Tinley clothing
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a picture somewhere of Rob Mackle leading on the bike at the Orlando Worlds in... 91? And he was riding a Profile frame.

Man, so many of these "do you remember" things I've actually USED! There was a Nishiki Beta NFS on ebay a few weeks back. And an Alien MTB just last week or so.

ERG, DH bars, Uni-Disc covers, Scott clip-ons (without pads)... Those were the days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob Barrel...you know what they say, "if you aint' Dutch...you ain't much"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$30 to race an OD and $60 to race a Half Ironman...
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 This list is for the IMC 25th Anniversary
13:Finishers drinking beer instead of Gagtorade at the awards for IMC.
14:The pros were the drunkest people at the IMC awards after-party.
15:IM finishers actually turned up at the IMC after-party.
16:The 2am naked run from the IMC after-party down main street to the lake for a skinny dip.
17:Lothar drunk at the after-party
18:Brendon Downey drunk at the after party
19:Tinley drunk at the after-party
20:Ray Browning drunk after the Carbo-load
21:Ray drunk again three days later at the after-party
22:Chuckie V drunk podium dancing without his shirt on at the after-party
23:The Hogman Dash.
24:Tom Price winning IMC wearing those Aqua sock/waffle sole things

How times have changed!
Don't even get me started on IMOZ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Fed
The original Specialized Transition
Tinley brand clothes (pre-Reebok?)
underwear elastic for a number belt
Kenny Souza with bigger hair than Twisted Sister
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....when men wore speedos and women considered that sexy.

....and women wore V leg bottoms and men considered that sexy. Wait, men still do!!!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And a smaller speedo than most thongs!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: You've been around the sport a long time when you remember.............. [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oooh...almost forgot..Bullfrog sunscreen and
coloured zinc oxide (from the 80s lifeguard scene in Oz)
Quote Reply

Prev Next