Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [warrenpp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the picture, looks nice.

PS. Please tell me those are not your race tires...
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markg wrote:
eki1 wrote:
... The brakes are a nice engineering execution and I understand the approach, but are they really necessary, especially on a timed bike. You should not be touching the brakes!!! You need hydraulic brakes for a turnaround? And on that note, Tri athletes in general can't go that fast anyways to need powerful brakes. In reality, not that practical and as a mechanic in a shop, hydraulic is a pain to service...air bubbles and all. For the majority of people who are not mechanically inclined, the shops will love to make service money on this one.

I take it you have never raced on a technical course? Yes I know many triathletes that won't go over 25 mph even on a downhill, but those of us that DO appreciate being able to have good brakes when we get to that sharp turn at the bottom of the hill!!

As a mechanical engineer by training, I think thy hydraulics are a BIG win maintenance-wise. No more cable stretch, crap getting into the housings, having to change cables and hard-to-route housings every year.

I am counting down to the first wreck because some engineer thought it was a good idea to over complicate a bicycle because they can't deal with cable stretch, lol. However, I have to admit that this makes for a great episode of The Mentalist, when the wife drains her husband's p5 brakes and causes him to careen off a cliff so she can continue to bang the pool boy unencumbered.

I completely agree that brakes on a tt bike aren't even important and I've done several races without any operational brakes to prove it, unless you count Fred flintsoning it as "brakes".
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have been on most of the tri super bikes, you will know that the brakes suck on almost of them (both from a functional ability and a serviceability). Magura's are bomb proof and work nearly as well as disc brakes. These will become the standard.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:

Yes they are. They are tubbies. The rest of my wheels are clinches. If I ever have to buy new wheels they will be tubbies. Definitely less punches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warrenpp wrote:
MTM wrote:

Yes they are. They are tubbies. The rest of my wheels are clinches. If I ever have to buy new wheels they will be tubbies. Definitely less punches.

I´m afraid that is not the point. GS (clincher or tubular) demands much more power to maintain the speed than a Conti 4000 GS, in example.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
If you have been on most of the tri super bikes, you will know that the brakes suck on almost of them (both from a functional ability and a serviceability). Magura's are bomb proof and work nearly as well as disc brakes. These will become the standard.

Jack

They might become standard if companies think they can market them to suckers, like $12k carbon fiber. But it's not because they are necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after looking at all the pictures of the satin paint, I have to agree the gloss seat post and bars do not look right, they need to match the frame. I hope this comes about before my bike comes in
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - the handlebars would probably be fine ...but the seat post needs to match. Should be an easy fix...Hope Cervelo does it
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [smaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bars on the P5-3 would be OK. But the 3T Auduro (sp?) bars in all gloss on an otherwise matte bike (P5-6) would not look good in my opinion.

Especially since those two components were specially designed to integrate with one another.

Again, can't stress enough that the bike needs to look matched up. Not a FrankenVelo.... ;-)

Quote | Reply
I agree. My bike is supesed to come in October. I hope cervelo will menage to offer the seatpost and the bars in matt till then.
Last edited by: Johnek: Sep 1, 12 1:13
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David I have a p5 six on order and I do like the satin. A friend of mine just took delieverly on a bmc time machine and everything is done in satin and looks really good.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [danielblois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having been close up with both versions, I actually like that satin / matte P5 better. Good things come to those who wait I guess. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a weekend with my P5. The bike is phenomenal. My only concern is the brakes. I am admittedly not a good bike handler. However I found the brakes dangerous. You cannot feather them like a normal brake and they seem to lock with little provocation. I nearly came short a few times. Would be interested to here other opinions. Maybe I just need to get used to them.

The bike is super stiff and the ride is firm. It climbs better than my road bile(cervelo R3).

I think that anyone buying the P5-3 should rather get a frame set. I think the standard TT bars could be better. I prefer bars with intergrated extensions. What to other riders think of the bars ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warrenpp wrote:
I have had a weekend with my P5. The bike is phenomenal. My only concern is the brakes. I am admittedly not a good bike handler. However I found the brakes dangerous. You cannot feather them like a normal brake and they seem to lock with little provocation.

That's odd. I find them very easy to modulate. Yes if you grab them hard they will lock, but I didn't have any trouble modulating them.

Maybe open the brakes a bit more so they don't grab quite as early?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My P5 three...love the matte finish!!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [awor31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awor31 wrote:
My P5 three...love the matte finish!!

Um... I'll be in my bunk.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Epic-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Epic,

Just got back from a very nice EuroBike show. A little rainy outside, but very busy for us inside!

For your info, there is no measurable difference in aero performance with either gloss or satin finish.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Sam,

When installed and adjusted properly the Magura RT TT hydraulic rim brakes have more power and modulation, not less. Sounds like yours are missing some of the modulation.

In my experience this can be due to several factors. The most likely and easiest to fix is braking surface contamination. It's not unusual to get some hydraulic oil (mineral oil) on the rim or brake pads, which can change the local coefficient of friction. To remove the residue, clean the rims and brake pads with rubbing alcohol on a clean white paper towel. Scrub the braking surfaces of the rim and brake pad. Repeat until the towel comes away clean.

A second possibility is the pad and rim don't mate well yet, same as is possible with any mechanical brake. Just like a mechanical brake, some, but not all, of this surface shape mismatch can be minimized by adjusting the shoe using the spherical washers. The last matching up occurs by wearing in the pads during braking, same as a mechanical brake.

Let me know if these possibilities don't yield better modulation.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These Magura brakes have great modulation actually, and it sounds to me like they might not be set properly. You may also just squeeze too hard. Play with them a bit to get more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
after looking at all the pictures of the satin paint, I have to agree the gloss seat post and bars do not look right, they need to match the frame. I hope this comes about before my bike comes in

Sure, that matching is nice, but if it doesn't happen on the bike you order, it is very easy to get the seatpost finish to match the matte frame finish. Just wet sand it with some super fine sandpaper for a few minutes. Don't overdo the pressure and it will probably even get the seatpost to hold better in the frame when clamped in. FYI, this is not official cervelo advice, but it should work perfectly fine.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [awor31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What seat angle are you getting with your seatpost that far forward?

Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

any feedback from your product manager regarding the switch to mat finish on seatpost and the bars?

Best,
Andreas
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Johnek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Johnek,

I asked him this morning. I'm sorry to report it, but we already have a lot of glossy handle bars and even more glossy seat posts. Looks like it'll probably be a long time before we change the finish on those parts. I haven't reached out to Hot Tubes yet, but I suspect Toby could spray a satin clear coat on request.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply

Prev Next