Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the price tag on that IA10?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [pagrajeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The red IA 16 hit the floor earlier this week in select sizes. You can see some pics we got here:

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great. Have you received any of the new calpacs yet?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Looks great. Have you received any of the new calpacs yet?
Just the ones that came with the bikes.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you show pictures of what the draft box looks like up close and inside? What all can you store in it?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inside it's pretty the same shape with the slop toward the front of the bike. It's just the top that is different.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think about the bike now with these upgrades? Seems it's an easier sale than a P2/P3?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the weight of this bike being one of the heaviest (I think) for triathlon bikes, how does it fare on up hills?

Also with the down tube being so large, does it pose much of an issue for a lighter rider on crosswinds?
Last edited by: bbqdbanana: Oct 1, 17 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [bbqdbanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode mine last year in Georgia’s Six Gap Century with over 11K feet of climbing. I don’t think the small incremental weight had a material impact on the overall ride.

On the serious side, that is very hard to quantify. Aero trumps weight, so think more of the holistic ride rather than one hill.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I rode mine last year in Georgia’s Six Gap Century with over 11K feet of climbing. I don’t think the small incremental weight had a material impact on the overall ride.

On the serious side, that is very hard to quantify. Aero trumps weight, so think more of the holistic ride rather than one hill.

Dang Dude....that's beast mode :-)

Last time I went up Hog Pen was on sub 15 lb bike with a 30 / 28 gear, hand continually hitting the shifter hoping that I had one more gear and thinking, "Please for mercy sake let me see the crest of the hill soon."

I hope to go look at the IA 16 Black Edition soon and talk sizing. Plus I have been planting my futile seeds of justification to Ms. Felty why the ole B10 (in the shop now) has seen its better days.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Dang Dude....that's beast mode :-)

Last time I went up Hog Pen was on sub 15 lb bike with a 30 / 28 gear, hand continually hitting the shifter hoping that I had one more gear and thinking, "Please for mercy sake let me see the crest of the hill soon."
Haha, yeah, it was pretty awful. I was THE ONLY guy on a tri bike that I saw all day. It was my only option at the time. And, only only had the stock 36/28 gearing on the thing. I have since built a proper 15 lb. road bike that I cannot wait to re-do Six Gap with. I couldn't this year, because it was the same weekend as Augusta 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
What do you think about the bike now with these upgrades? Seems it's an easier sale than a P2/P3?
I feel fortunate that I'm able to sell two of the best value tri bikes on the market.

The upgrades are nice, and the paint on the red bike looks better than I though it would. The P2 paint refreshes also look fantastic, and better in person than in pictures.

Comparatively speaking, the Cervelo has a superior bar spec, superior crank spec, superior shifter spec, a little more fidelity with sizing, and can save a couple hundred at the $2800 price point. The IA offers a faster setup in most conditionsand the calpac and aero box are big value adds. The IA extensions are also often a bit too short to meet the rider's needs.

The IA offers nothing at the $4000 price point, so the P3 Ultegra option kind of sits alone there.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way, and each customer's choice is partially going to depend on where they place value.

If every IA16 came with a Profile Design Aeria AL bar with the metal armrests and T4+ extensions along with Shimano shifters instead of microshift, there'd be nothing that could touch it for the price.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the IA16 come with the draft box or is that an add on price?

The reason I ask is that the Felt webpage does not list it in the details, but does show it in the pictures. And I wonder how much storage space it has compared to the Bontrager draft box, which I have seen on several Felt's looking at Google images. The Felt version looks slightly smaller. I do a lot of longer solo rides/training and carry more items. Currently I have all this stuff crammed into and velcro'd on the rear hydration and top tube pack. I call my Felt, The Mule, because I have so much crap on it for emergencies. I sure would like to clean up some of this on the next bike.

If Felt's version does not come with the bike I think I would rather order the Bontrager version. Random Felt Picture on Slowtwitch.

Edit: Two weekends ago under the "You ain't gonna fix that" category, my SRAM Red rear derailleur spring broke 40 miles from the car in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately I had no problem getting back. It just took a lot longer setting the chain mid cassette and using the front chain rings to have a 2 gear selection. I doubt I will be packing spare rear derailleurs in the draft box. :-)
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Oct 3, 17 3:57
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new IA 16 comes with the draft box.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a picture of a very basic BTA setup I can do with a cage and zip ties or velcro? Need a quick and dirty solution for a OLY this weekend.

Last edited by: Callin': Oct 3, 17 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of a very basic BTA setup I can do with a cage and zip ties or velcro? Need a quick and dirty solution for a OLY this weekend.
That depends hugely on how your cockpit is configured I would think.
Extensions widely or narrowly spaced?
Bridge in use between pedestals?
What sort of bottle cage do you have?

It's just a case of solidly mounting the cage to the cockpit without interfering with the bottle. In the past when I had the pedestals higher and wad using a bridge I found it easy enough to cable tie a Specialized ribcage directly to the bridge at the back and the extensions further forward. If it was a longer term solution I'd probably attach the bottle to a playe and tie that to the extensions. It would stiffen things up and avoid stressing the cage which may or may not have lasted in my configuration. I pnly used it that way for a short while.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. it's narrow set up with a bridge. I don;t have a cage yet but will probably just pick up a specialized one on friday

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
thanks. it's narrow set up with a bridge. I don;t have a cage yet but will probably just pick up a specialized one on friday
Narrow with a bridge should be pretty easy.
I like the Specialized Ribcage. I don't think I've ever ejected a bottle behind the seat using them, they're nice and secure. A little stiff to remove the bottle for BTA perhaps but better too secure than not secure enough!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the new rear box capable of holding 2 tubes, 2 CO2, tire lever and a the CO2 release valve?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [eeclipse2k2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Can anyone help with some fit questions?

I had a Specialized Fit carried out recently (using Retul) and I'm trying to figure out from the data whether the IA(16) would be a good fit for me? If so, what size should I go for? My fitter doesn't carry Felt bikes, so he doesn't seem too keen to answer my questions!

I'm using cee gee pads, so I think my pad reach is 448mm, pad stack 634mm. Seat height is 682mm. I'm 5'6" tall, with a 28" inseam (regular torso, short legs!). Felt IA fit calculator says a 54 frame, which seems a bit big?!

(Crank length is actually 165mm, and it's an E116, not an E118!)
Last edited by: Nicolopolus: Oct 5, 17 3:25
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Nicolopolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicolopolus wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone help with some fit questions?

I had a Specialized Fit carried out recently (using Retul) and I'm trying to figure out from the data whether the IA(16) would be a good fit for me? If so, what size should I go for? My fitter doesn't carry Felt bikes, so he doesn't seem too keen to answer my questions!

I'm using cee gee pads, so I think my pad reach is 448mm, pad stack 634mm. Seat height is 682mm. I'm 5'6" tall, with a 28" inseam (regular torso, short legs!). Felt IA fit calculator says a 54 frame, which seems a bit big?!

(Crank length is actually 165mm, and it's an E116, not an E118!)
A 54 fits, but you are more likely suited for the 51. We don't trust the calculator (but it's close) and our internal measurements indicate the 54 is within the fit coordinates you provides. But the fit coordinates you provided look potentially unorthodox.

You have a 15 mm armpad drop, which unless you are on the heavier side for your height, isn't much at all. Also, the armpad reach is right against the edge of what the 54 on the IA should be set up.

Those two data points indicate that there may be issues with your fit. Would it be possible for you to post a picture or video of you from the side when riding your tri bike in aero?

Your seatpost angle also shows an option for improvement, so it's hard to know whether you are too upright, sitting too aft, not stretched out enough, or all three.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Trent,

Thanks for the reply. The BG fit gave armpad reach from the BB to back of the armrest, so I added 35mm to that, since the fit calculator says to middle of the pad. Did similar for the stack (fit figure is to top of the pad, calc says to top of armrest, so I took off 1.5mm). Was that correct? I'm only 57kg, so definitely on the lighter side for my height. Do the other figures in the screenshot from my first post help at all?

I've uploaded a short clip of me on the turbo - see what you think:

Ideally I'd like ski bend extensions, so we just had to angle the current ones up.

My instinct was that a 51 frame would be right, but although I'd love an IA, I concede that if it won't be a really great fit, then I'll have to look at something else.

Thanks,
Nick
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Nicolopolus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicolopolus wrote:
Hey Trent,

Thanks for the reply. The BG fit gave armpad reach from the BB to back of the armrest, so I added 35mm to that, since the fit calculator says to middle of the pad. Did similar for the stack (fit figure is to top of the pad, calc says to top of armrest, so I took off 1.5mm). Was that correct? I'm only 57kg, so definitely on the lighter side for my height. Do the other figures in the screenshot from my first post help at all?

I've uploaded a short clip of me on the turbo - see what you think:

Ideally I'd like ski bend extensions, so we just had to angle the current ones up.

My instinct was that a 51 frame would be right, but although I'd love an IA, I concede that if it won't be a really great fit, then I'll have to look at something else.

Thanks,
Nick
That video is really helpful. Thanks.

Our internal tool measures to the edge of the armpad just like Retul does. Your fit has room for improvement but isn't terrible at all - saddle can come forward on the IA 1-2 cm and the armpads can be pushed forward 25-35 mm as well (depending on how much you bring the saddle forward). You could probably also drop 1 cm if you chose to.

I'm a bit confused - your Retul fit says pad stack is 649, and you said it was 634. Which is right?

At the end of all that, I'd prefer to put you on the 54 using the Retul fit report. The 54 of the IAx series is definitely on the smallish side, offering a minimum armpad position 11 mm lower than the Felt B14 (which has a -17 stem to boot). If 634 is your actual pad stack, I'd choose the 51.

The larger IA is more aero than the smaller IA, if memory serves, according to Superdave. The larger frame is a better airfoil and that reduces drag a bit, so you'd prefer to have the bigger frame than use armpad pedestals.

For reference the armpad stack minimum (using stock components) is 628 for the 54 and 600 for the 51.

Trent Nix
Last edited by: trentnix: Oct 5, 17 9:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next