Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [ilove2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the mod you're talking about is illustrated on the TriRig site. A video of the mod is or will be posted here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
while not quite as good as that solution, with just smart cable routing and zip ties you can keep the cables out of direct wind (at low yaw anyway)

Jack, that reduces the drag of the cables but increases the drag of the frame. In my opinion you'd be better of with the cables further away from the frame if they can't be completely hidden or shielded.

Also best to have them as close to horizontal as possible even if more cable is exposed.

That is a nice front brake set up :-)

Cheers

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [Steve_Davidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve_Davidson wrote:
Jack, that reduces the drag of the cables but increases the drag of the frame. In my opinion you'd be better of with the cables further away from the frame if they can't be completely hidden or shielded.

Also best to have them as close to horizontal as possible even if more cable is exposed.

Is this a "Ive seen this in the wind tunnel/field test" comment or "I think" comment?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [ilove2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The video is up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RORISzYGxso

Pretty simple & inexpensive. Nice work, Nick!

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes me want to pick up a P2 or P3 as a project bike!

Such a simple yet significant mod.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I run Nokon cables with full liners anyway, so I wouldn't even need to worry about that extra step.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good video. And a simple mod, yes.

But I wonder if having the cable rub on the inside of the frame (even with a liner) is very good solution long term ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon is a different animal (obviously), but, just as a data point...

I've been running Nokons with full liners on my Cervelo Dual (aluminum) since 2007. There is a spot just as the front derailleur cable exits the bottom bracket cable guide and turns up toward the front derailleur that rubs the frame. I noticed it when I removed the original (standard) cables to put the Nokons on. The original cables had only been installed for a few months, and the bare cable had cut through the paint. However, I had the original Nokon liner on there for ~4 years, and not only did the liner not split at this point, but the frame showed no further damage. So, the liner definitely worked in that application.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You you can run I link and just run their liner an extra 12"-18" into the frame. The mini ilinks are smaller overall diameter so I will be using some smaller cables stops for my modifications which means the holes I drill be be about 2/3rd the size of the ones Nick drilled I believe. Just waiting on my parts to arrive.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Steve_Davidson wrote:

The cable drag coefficient will reduce by about 1/3 if it is touching the frame but needs to be at least 1.5 diameters away from the frame to preserve the aerodynamic performance of the down tube.

The down tube drag will increase by a larger amount than the reduction in drag of the cable.

Can be calculated if you have the relevant sections but it's quite difficult. Would be good to see the effect with smoke in a tunnel.

Cheers

Steve

Is this a "Ive seen this in the wind tunnel/field test" comment or "I think" comment?
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [Steve_Davidson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve_Davidson wrote:
The cable drag coefficient will reduce by about 1/3 if it is touching the frame but needs to be at least 1.5 diameters away from the frame to preserve the aerodynamic performance of the down tube.

The down tube drag will increase by a larger amount than the reduction in drag of the cable.

Can be calculated if you have the relevant sections but it's quite difficult. Would be good to see the effect with smoke in a tunnel.

This would be complicated by the fact that this is all happening behind the head tube I would think, at least at low yaw.

Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nick! I can't wait for the Omega brakes to come out!

You said it wasn't Cervelo approved but I can say that its Slowtwitch approved!
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
You you can run I link and just run their liner an extra 12"-18" into the frame. The mini ilinks are smaller overall diameter so I will be using some smaller cables stops for my modifications which means the holes I drill be be about 2/3rd the size of the ones Nick drilled I believe. Just waiting on my parts to arrive.

The smaller holes in the frame is an obvious advantage. I'd be interested to know where you found smaller ferrules/cable stops to use. Care to share?

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will share once I have them. I am not sure they will work and I am not sure if I will have to modify them yet. I am also going to run a more rigid solution past the TT/DT section to never have a rubbing issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX - You will be doing this mod to your planet-x stealth frame correct? Please post details and photos when complete! I've got the same frameset and would love to do the same mod on mine.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will not be doing this to the Stealth frame but will be doing this on my SLC. Stealth frame would be a bad idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think something like this would do the trick

http://compare.ebay.com/...p;_lwgsi=y&cbt=y
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [GREG_n_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those look like what Nick used. I'm curious about smaller ones that would still work with the smaller OD of the I-Link cables.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Mini I-links I will be modifying something which I think will allow for a smaller cleaner look. So basically modifying the modification that Nick did. Is there any other way to go. I have another option that I am thinking but I need to see how much meat there is in this location. If there is enough meat then I might do a counter sunk hole. So drill a 2mm hole all the way through for each cable then do a 3.5mm - 4mm (can not remember the exact diameter of the end connection on the Mini's) countersunk hole to have the end cap just sit in a bit. It would be very trick looking but I am not sure if it can be done. Worst case would be to drill out the holes bigger to like what Nick has done in the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a more rigid insert? Something like a jagwire brake noodle? I know it is for brakes, but it might be better (with a couple of mods-open the angle up and remove the nipple on the bottom) than just cable liner.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: P2/P3 custom cable routing (TriRig.com) [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already looked at that as that was my first thought but I have something close but a little different in mind. Also not looking for 1/2" tall ferrule sticking out the top tube. I have a few of these at home and have already modified them and the overall look was not that great. It would work but I want something better looking for my build. It would allow for a smaller hole and all you would have to do is remove the little barb at the outlet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The small hole and rigid routing are the two big benefits of something like this. I'm not sure why Cervelo does not move to the ICS on the P2/P3 like they did on the S2.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe over time they will depending on what direction they go in. Would be a nice selling feature I feel. Yes I think a rigid type of guide would be nice but there are other options out there the might allow for a better run. I want as small of a connection above the TT as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to see your SLC-SL, I used your advice on the front center pull and it worked like a charm.

I still have an SLC-SL and love it and to get the cables out of the wind would be the icing on the cake.

GOOD LUCK!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
The small hole and rigid routing are the two big benefits of something like this. I'm not sure why Cervelo does not move to the ICS on the P2/P3 like they did on the S2.

funding a pro bike team, funding the s5, funding the p4, funding the p5

all took precedence over redoing the p3 and p2 assembly lines for 5g of drag or so I presume =)

Quote Reply

Prev Next