Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are Quick Links just as strong and secure as the rest of the links?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I can tell, definitely. I've snapped a couple of chains over many years of abuse and it's never been the quicklink links that gave out.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Sep 8, 16 2:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl-

I seemingly remember that there was a recall on the lid for the speed box lid? Was that for the early gen 2 bikes or the gen 1 bikes? I bought mine in 2014 and it always seems to pop open. I'm just now getting back on my bike after an accident 2 years ago and need to get it replaced. I will deal directly with a trek dealer but figured I'd ask before I went into the shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
Carl-

I seemingly remember that there was a recall on the lid for the speed box lid?

No. Never been a recall on any SC or SC part. recall is a special word in this industry.

PeteDin206 wrote:
Was that for the early gen 2 bikes or the gen 1 bikes?

there was an improved lid available under warranty for early gen2 bike owners who had the early lids. you can tell what you have by looking for the tabs on the underside of the lid...this is the improved lid. it is part# 512622.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification. I will check it out.
Quote Reply
Speed Concept Draft Box [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

I have a 2016 Speed Concept and frequently get rained on during rides. The draft box accumulates a lot of water. Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes for this problem so my repair gear in the draft box does not get wet. I have tried putting everything in a large ziplock bag, but that does not seem to help much. My next idea would be to purchase some type of waterproof bag.

Thanks a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Draft Box [chadathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
poke a hole in the bottom of the box small enough to let water out...

Did you try that?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Draft Box [chadathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi chadathlon

IME, not all ziplock bags are created equal...might try going with a heavy-duty version and perhaps wrapping the contents in a small rag/towel to prevent tools etc from puncturing.

Beyond that, the drain hole littlefoot suggests already exists...but may have become blocked by road grit etc...you could also try enlarging it a little.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Flare mount [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
I saw at the Trek tent at IMMoo that you now have a mount that fits on the seat post for the flare tail light. I've browsed around the Trek website but can't find it, can you tell me the part #?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Flare mount [uksoxfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that's the rear reflector mount that comes with every bike...available separately as PN W327560 for the 2014+ models, W306729 for the 2010-2013 bikes.

You simply remove the reflector (if you still have it), and bolt on any Flare-compatible mount in its place. Depending on the model Flare you have, this may mean some disassembly of the Flare mount.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Speed Box [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone use the new speed box on the top tube of a 2011 SC?
Don't like the look of the old one, if it doesn't work anything else work nicely out there?

I'm in south africa where can I order online the part behind the stem that covers the cable?

Lastly is the bontrager bottle on the downtube still the best option for in frame hydration?

Sorry if this has been posted I cant seem to do the search
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Box [Paolo55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paolo55 wrote:

It fits, just not as cleanly as it does on the 2014+ bike.

Paolo55 wrote:
I'm in south africa where can I order online the part behind the stem that covers the cable?

That's a service part, so not likely to find it online anywhere (including trekbikes.com). SA is a tough one...we'll have a presence there soon (so says the "find a retailer" link on trekbikes.com anyway). In the interim you may have to try contacting a Trek dealer in another country...I don't know if there are international trade agreements between SA and any of these countries which would make any particular one a better choice than the others. There's also the contact us form on the international site...might be able to get a quicker answer that way.

Paolo55 wrote:
Lastly is the bontrager bottle on the downtube still the best option for in frame hydration?

Haven't done any recent testing of that bottle (discontinued) against the competition, so can't say definitively...just that if you have to run any bottle inside the triangle it should be an aero bottle. If you can run a standard bottle between your arms or high and tight behind your saddle those are better aero options.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Box [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, as a loyal trek costumer there past 4 years and seeing the new DB and now with rumors of a beam cervlo, do we have anything to look forward to from Trek in the upcoming 6 months?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Box [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not something I would be able to talk about, sorry.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Box [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that carl I will try a Trek dealer and see what I can get its not urgent.

re the top tube box, you say it doesn't fit cleanly. as long as it does not protrude off the edges of the top tube that should be OK, where is it not so "clean"?
I'm assuming there isn't another brand that makes a better for option for this model, like Torhans?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if a Campy EPS V2 or V3 battery will fit in the seattube of a 2014 SC9.9?

If V2, any creative ideas for the charging port? Is there room for it to fit through the hole for the FD cable?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
by not cleanly I mean it doesn't mate up to the toptube profile as closely as it does with the newer bike, and in particular the cable hood (which is an integral part of the frame on the new bike).

don't know if the Torhans is better or worse than the old Bontrager bottle inside the triangle...it's an aero bottle so at least it has that going for it, and if it fits in there then yes it's a better choice than a round bottle.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Not something I would be able to talk about, sorry.

Fair enough.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paolo55 wrote:
Don't like the look of the old one, if it doesn't work anything else work nicely out there?

If you are looking for something different, we make an advanced bento, the Speedpack 483D. It is designed expressly for bikes like the SC. This is a photo of one mounted on a newer SC, but it fits the 2011 SC perfectly as well.

FB image link

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Box [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Highly doubt the V2 would fit...it would have to be <20mm wide to drop in from the top, and <80mm or so in length to sneak into the downtube from the BB (with no bearings installed)...nothing I've seen related to the V2 leads me to believe either dimension is in your favor.

V3 is small enough by itself (16.6mm diameter) to make it in from the top, but the rubber rings to hold the carrier/fastening unit and/or the long rubber grommet might bump the effective diameter out too far. This doc pg13 seems to indicate 19.6mm total for the former...so...maybe OK to get down into the seattube, but I don't know if you'll be able to get those threaded inserts close enough to the inside leading edge of the seat tube for the bolts to catch them...those instructions are based on a 27.2mm round tube...the SC profile is considerably narrower than that at the leading edge. There's also the question of whether or not that magnetic "system shut off" band is long enough to get around the seat tube at whatever height your battery is placed...I'm not finding any specs on that.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question. I'm about to build up a mechanical shifting 2nd gen sc. Can I just run 3 full length cable housings instead of the way the manual states with the ferrules and 2 piece housings? I'm not breaking it down for travel.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Box [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. The double ended ferrules are more of an aid for position tweaks than for travel...they allow you to leave the housing in the frame alone and only re-do the cockpit housing (if necessary).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply Carl! This is the only example I can find of an EPS fully internal in a SC. It must be V2 because the post predates the release of V3. He has the shutoff magnet on but There is no way to tell if he had to do something funky to get it installed or to work.

At the end of the day, I might just sell my EPS system, install something mechanical, & have a good chunk of change left over.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...ewtopic.php?t=128761

As always, I appreciate your help!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, do these new rules make my non-UCI 7.5 as being legal (fork and base bar are wider than 3:1)? So I would only need to replace rear brake cover, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slow_mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not quite...

First of all, it goes into effect in January 2017, so until then all current rules are in place. Then, the only change will be to the rules regarding frame and fork...components will still have the 3:1 restriction in place, and as you note the speed fin on the rear brake cover will still be non-UCI.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next