Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly the same setup I'm running right now, as a matter of fact. 45mm monospacer, yes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl

I have a 2012 SC, and just starting to get itchy feet and thinking about upgrading to gen2, in part due to just keeping things mechanically perfect and maintaining a top spec bike.
Do you know when the next model is due to be released, ie is there a good reason for me to hold back?

Thanks

Blog: http://www.tomburkinshaw.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tburkinshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom

I know where you're coming from, but that's one of the kinds of questions I can't answer here. Sorry :-(

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience with gen 1 SC 2.5 brakes? I'm thinking of upgrading the whole groupset from apex to force, but I can't find a similar rear brake anywhere. Is it possible to put a normal caliper under the chainstay?
Last edited by: jpanula: Apr 30, 16 5:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jpanula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
howdy

the OE rear brake on a 2.5 is a Tektro R725R, which I believe has long-reach arms. the routing is such that even if a regular-reach side-pull caliper would get your pads near the rim you'd face possible/likely interference issues between the chainrings and the upper brake arm.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tburkinshaw wrote:
Hi Carl

I have a 2012 SC, and just starting to get itchy feet and thinking about upgrading to gen2, in part due to just keeping things mechanically perfect and maintaining a top spec bike.
Do you know when the next model is due to be released, ie is there a good reason for me to hold back?

Thanks

I asked a similar question of my Trek rep recently and was told (in a very roundabout way) not to sell my current Gen2 SC yet. He said he hadn't heard of anything coming but he did however put in the disclaimer that quite often they aren't told about new models till they are close to being released. Having said that he might know but like Carl isn't allowed to say anything!

Here in Australia 7.5s are out of stock in all sizes and 9.9s are very thin on the ground but there's plenty of stock of 7.0s. I suspect the 9.9s are being thinned out to make room for a current 9.9 with new Dura Ace and the 7.5 might have a slightly better parts spec than the current 7.5, a la Madone 9.2 possibly? That's just my (somewhat) educated guess, I could be way off!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tburkinshaw wrote:
Hi Carl

Thanks

My own guess (as a gen 2 owner) is that we'll see a new Shiv in Kona this year and that Trek will show off a new SC sometime in '17. There's also the possibility of of Trek retaining the current SC for UCI sanctioned events and adding a non-uci bike to their line that's tri specific.

While I'm on the prediction train, I'd wager we'll see dual Iso-speed (front and rear like on the new Domane) on Trek's next tri bike along with front hydration integration along the lines of the Rafael design (Scott Plasma/Canyon Speedmax/etc). Hopefully we also get a "reverse" base bar similar to the 3T Revo. I really like that design :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl.
Thanks for all the succinct, timely replies to the questions on this thread. I have an issue with the front brake housing on my 2nd gen SC 7.5. It seems to slap the inside of the aero bar when I go over a bump and makes an annoying noise. I'm sure the housing is the culprit because I can eliminate the noise by pulling on the housing where it enters the bar just behind the brake lever (and because it is now gone after removing the front housing and cable). Would it be better to lengthen the housing or to shorten it to eliminate the noise?

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Run Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim

Run Jim wrote:
Would it be better to lengthen the housing or to shorten it to eliminate the noise?

Yes. ;-)

Since it's the front brake, shortening is probably easier...don't need to worry about restricting your turning radius or activating the brake while turning as could be the case with the rear brake. Just sneak up on it in small amounts.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl-

I have a 2014 SC 9.9 and run zipp 808FC and sometimes a sub9 disk. What's the widest specialized turbo tire I could make work?

thanks,

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [shelgemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve-

Too many unknowns...I'm not familiar with that tire, don't know how it behaves (width-wise) when mounted on your wheels, or what sort of spec tolerance Specialized has on their nominal tire widths.

In general, you should have no issues with 25c tires. 26c probably will work more often than not, but no guarantees. 27c is really starting to push your luck, but you may find one that works.

Good luck!

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Carl-
anyone who has tried this want to chime in?

specialized is having a buy one get one free on turbo tires (not cotton unfortunately but still good)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running 28c tires on my 2015 Speed concept no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brymon68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which tires/wheels? any brake (or pad)modifications necessary? have there been any changes from 2014 that would allow wider tires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 404. No brake modifications 28C conti's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a 26mm turbo cotton will fit on my super 9 and gen 2 sc.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks- I will order 26's then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Note that I only tested a 26mm on the rear. I run a 24 on the front.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the rear is always the stickler but I have a 24 already if it doesn't work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,

is there a trick to routing the front brake cable through the low far stem on a 2014 speed concept? i have printed the manual and it seems that the picture of the stem in the manual has a slot that runs left to right in the bottom portion of the stem and the low far has one that runs front to back.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ddimaline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup...far stems run the cable stop front to back, nears from side to side

bring the front brake housing out through the T-slot in the basebar, a little ways aft of the top of the T. when it all comes together there won't be much "free" housing between the bar and the stop...but you can start with more and just push it back into the bar as you bring things together to bolt them up.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are people finding is the best place to put the Di2 junction box? Strapped to the stem? In the bento box?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Added Di2 and used shimano cable housing which seems thicker than the jagwire that came on it. Anyway how much length should I have in each brake cable housing as I connect under the cap. Anyone have a pic of theirs. I should have taken one before. Don't think I have old housing anymore either.

Thanks

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we designed the stem covers for the di2 box to be ziptied on there...but I've seen folks do the bento thing too...sometimes just personal preference, sometimes because their cockpit setup/fit doesn't allow the stem cover to be used that way. in those cases I recommend finding a place towards the rear of the mono so the wires can at least run back under the cover the way we intended them to.

main issue I see with the bento option is how to get the wires back into the frame. I've seen some try to cram them into the small gap between the stem cover and the frame opening, but that risks eventually wearing through the wires. others have run them in through the slightly larger openings on the sides of the stem cover...which runs into the same problem.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next