Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
can you use any stem you want to for the specialized tt shiv?

in brief....no.

if you want to use the specialized base bars & cockpit, you need the specialized stem, as the specialized base bar does not have a round bar clamp.

if you are hell-bent on using a different stem, the steerer is 1" (not 1 1/8"). sure, you can use a shim, but most stems these days have stack heights (40+mm) that are greater than the exposed steerer on the shiv TT (~28mm). also, most stems place their bolts toward the back, and because the shiv TT is designed with aerodynamics in mind the gap behind steerer and top tube has been minimized. you might find the bolts interfering with rotation of the bars. additionally, you mess with the incredible aesthetics of the shiv TT. :) (this bike, in my opinion, is the best-/meanest-looking TT/Tri bike i've ever seen in the shiv TT incarnation.)

can you do it? maybe...if you're very motivated.

running most stems (other than something custom) would work against the very aerodynamic benefit that one hopes to achieve by racing this frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats the msrp on the shiv pro osbb frameset in Canada?

D

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wrong. the Shiv is 1 1/8 steertube
tetonrider wrote:
SeasonsChange wrote:

in brief....no.

if you want to use the specialized base bars & cockpit, you need the specialized stem, as the specialized base bar does not have a round bar clamp.

if you are hell-bent on using a different stem, the steerer is 1" (not 1 1/8"). sure, you can use a shim, but most stems these days have stack heights (40+mm) that are greater than the exposed steerer on the shiv TT (~28mm). also, most stems place their bolts toward the back, and because the shiv TT is designed with aerodynamics in mind the gap behind steerer and top tube has been minimized. you might find the bolts interfering with rotation of the bars. additionally, you mess with the incredible aesthetics of the shiv TT. :) (this bike, in my opinion, is the best-/meanest-looking TT/Tri bike i've ever seen in the shiv TT incarnation.)

running most stems (other than something custom) would work against the very aerodynamic benefit that one hopes to achieve by racing this frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [darb85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darb85 wrote:
wrong. the Shiv is 1 1/8 steertube
tetonrider wrote:
SeasonsChange wrote:

in brief....no.

i think you missed a key part of his question. the shiv TT is a 1" steerer. perhaps what you are thinking of -- the shiv (tri) -- is 1 1/8", but i assure you of the shiv TT spec.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what other aerobars ext will work will new S -WORKS Tri Shiv? My bike is PERFECT size M and i have it built at a 16.56lbs i just hate the goofy bend to the ext's and like a more aggressive bend! I feel they should have added another cable port further down so you have the option to cut the bend off making stock bar more versatile. Thanks for the help
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [soybean0422] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See move but I think most of them are a standard size and will work. I am going to use my Vuka's as Mark Cote indicated they'll work in a post above.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for you on fitting the Shiv...

You've shown what goes behind the stem with the control tower fairing, but my question is what goes under the stem? Or is the stem always slammed to the headtube and any extra stack that is needed is made up for in the aerobar extensions being raise ala the old nosecone Shiv? If that's the case, what are the fairings used for?

Sorry to be obtuse on this one...

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [wpg_wild_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wpg_wild_cat wrote:
Whats the msrp on the shiv pro osbb frameset in Canada?

D

anyone?

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [wpg_wild_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any chance that Specialized will create a bottle specifically design for the new Shiv (as the Virtue bottle was for the Transition)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think Ultegra Di2 will be compatible with the frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [realtalk411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the frame is compatible with Ultegra Di2 road shifters and wiring so it should be compatible if Shimano releases an Ultegra Di2 TT shifter.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark,

I sent you a pm with some specific questions about a 2012 SHIV TT a while bike. I was awaiting your answer to make a purchase decision. I still haven't pulled the trigger and I'd like to hear from you. Would you check your messages. It was back on Jan. 8.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this might have already been asked, but anyone have experience with running cables on the new frames? How difficult of a job is it for a non-bike mechanic?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLUF: Not hard...think outside the box.

I built an S-Works Shiv. Running the cables was not much trouble at all. It will take some time as the housing length will depend on what spacers you use on the cockpit. I ran the rear derailleur cable starting in the middle and running out the back the working up the down tube. In the end I built the bike twice. Once with every spacer I could bolt on, with cables routed and derailleurs adjusted. Did the fit. Then tore it down to cut proper cable length. Bike built with SRAM Red and SRM. Only problem was the SRAM break levers did not fit correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I do all of my research and go into my LBS (a top level Specialized dealer) in early December 2011 and order the new Shiv Comp Rival. He puts it in the computer and they say it will arrive mid Feb. I don't really want to wait, but I do, very excited about the new bike.

Several good offers on other bikes float by as the new year rolls around, but I trust Specialized will come through on their promise and I pass on the other offers.

I call the LBS every few weeks to make sure there are no delays, and they tell me no problem.

I call the LBS today and they say that Specialized has decided to ship the Shiv Expert which is $1000 more than the Comp Rival. The Comp Rival won't be in for another month (how the hell am I to believe this?). They try to upsell me, but I am a very unhappy customer right now.

What kind of game is Specialized playing here? Bait and Switch? hoping I'll drop another $1K. Not likely.

How do I get Specialized to live up to their promise and get the bike I ordered over 2 months ago delivered to my LBS ASAP?

C'mon Specialized, you're better than this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [iGadget] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The upsell part is really odd and crappy. As for missing the promised delivery date of an all new model ... gee, that never happens (pink).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jesse@thr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2008 I waited nearly 5 months for a Transition Pro. The ETA kept getting pushed back.

Not much you can do but keep checking with your LBS and wait in line with the rest of us...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [shohen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shohen wrote:
In 2008 I waited nearly 5 months for a Transition Pro. The ETA kept getting pushed back.

Not much you can do but keep checking with your LBS and wait in line with the rest of us...

Hmm, maybe time to start considering another brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
As for missing the promised delivery date of an all new model ... gee, that never happens (pink).

Yeah, maybe my expectations where out of whack. Why bother giving you a date if you can't deliver on that date? Or is it really just a matter of building up the bike with higher end components?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i thought the original ship date for the comp was end of feb / early march. as far as i know, no comps have been shipped yet (there would be pics on ST of one if they were arriving in shops). plenty of elites, pros now though. comps were last to be shipped.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [rural] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is mine if you missed my initial post. Still needs some tweaking,race wheels and other small things.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Spokesman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spokesman wrote:
Here is mine if you missed my initial post. Still needs some tweaking,race wheels and other small things.

That's a beauty - which Shiv model is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
odin99 wrote:
i thought the original ship date for the comp was end of feb / early march. as far as i know, no comps have been shipped yet (there would be pics on ST of one if they were arriving in shops). plenty of elites, pros now though. comps were last to be shipped.

Good to know - where did you hear those dates? Wondering why my LBS is out of the loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from my LBS - and from various posts about the new shiv around here that's what i've gathered. as far as i know specialized hasn't changed any shipping dates (but i don't work for specialized) - the sworks and pros have arrived on or near on time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke with a Specialized rep last Thursday. He said the first Comps should arrive this week (Specifically, Feb 6th or 7th).

However, today's the 8th and I'm still waiting for a call from the bike shop.
Quote Reply

Prev Next