Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading the right pedal is the slave pedal. Maybe i will unpair and repair and i will check if i get both readouts while using them on my computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
shaunylw wrote:
Ok, i have one for everyone. I just got a set of p1 pedals. I was using them on trainer road via my iPhone last night. Usually i use my macbook but i left my Ant+ stick at my office. I was doing a workout that has a lot of one leg drills and noticed that my left leg was delivering power, but the right was not. I opened the settings and the left pedal is paired via the trainer road app, no option to pair the right. The pedals are find, i checked the power tap app and did one leg drills on both sides, with power working fine.

Any ideas?

The left pedal pairs with external devices, the right pedal only pairs with the left pedal, sending its data through the left pedal. The fact that it's working through the Powertap app but not the TrainerRoad app is odd.

Over Bluetooth, TrainerRoad doubles the power of the left pedal. Like niccolo mentioned ^, the right pedal power is sent to the left which then connects to external devices like TrainerRoad. Over ANT+ on TR, your right pedal power is sent to the left and then your combined L/R power value is displayed. We'd like to add BT support for L/R measurement down the road, but this is our current implementation for the P1s.

Hope this helps!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Nick Kanwetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Kanwetz wrote:
niccolo wrote:
shaunylw wrote:
Ok, i have one for everyone. I just got a set of p1 pedals. I was using them on trainer road via my iPhone last night. Usually i use my macbook but i left my Ant+ stick at my office. I was doing a workout that has a lot of one leg drills and noticed that my left leg was delivering power, but the right was not. I opened the settings and the left pedal is paired via the trainer road app, no option to pair the right. The pedals are find, i checked the power tap app and did one leg drills on both sides, with power working fine.

Any ideas?

The left pedal pairs with external devices, the right pedal only pairs with the left pedal, sending its data through the left pedal. The fact that it's working through the Powertap app but not the TrainerRoad app is odd.

Over Bluetooth, TrainerRoad doubles the power of the left pedal. Like niccolo mentioned ^, the right pedal power is sent to the left which then connects to external devices like TrainerRoad. Over ANT+ on TR, your right pedal power is sent to the left and then your combined L/R power value is displayed. We'd like to add BT support for L/R measurement down the road, but this is our current implementation for the P1s.

Hope this helps!

That helps a ton, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:

I took the power cap off when I first got it (no other reason other than being nosey) and I seem to recall it having a standard micro USB under there ? I have checked the instructions and they suggest the same ?

In PT instructional video for G3 PowerCap is shown and at time 0:35 - 0:45 I think standard micro-USB type-B connector can be seen. There is a metal frame where cable is pushed. This metal frame is not symmetric so the cable connects only in right position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXeMC-mamQA

I took photo of my PowerCap:

https://drive.google.com/...fQ8xza09iWjY2VDMyZTA

The PowerCap doesn't have metal frame in connector. There is a white, female part in the hub center site of the connector hole. This white part is not centered as in the new type-C USB cables. The connector hole itself looks symmetric but the white connector part makes it not symmetric.

Below is the photo of commonly used USB type cables:

https://drive.google.com/...fQ8xzbnUyY21hMFRZWEk

I have the 1st and 3rd ones from the left that are standard micro-USB and mini-USB type-B connectors. At least they are not compatible with the powercap that I have.

I sent questions to Saris support about the cable connector type and if it is possible to manual-zero the hub using cable via PowerAgent.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [pulmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hhhmmm, that's defo different than mine ... ?

Is your hub new ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Hhhmmm, that's defo different than mine ... ?

Is your hub new ?

At least new for me :-) It was included in wheelset that I ordered from UK recently. I received the wheels last Friday. The shop has good reputation and they have been very helpful.

Polar M450 identifies the hub as powertap hub 10329 F263B8 when pairing is done.

But about my problem with M450 and G3 hub, I think that the problem is solved. I once again carefully browsed and read the posts. The link that you posted provided info how to do calibration of PT P1 with V650:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6083679#p6083679

So I run a short test by using the similar procedure and it seems to work also with G3 and M450. At least after calibration the power values are not over 1500W when easy spinning.

I will go for test ride soon to check that values are reasonable, will report results.

Thanks for the helpful link WD Pro and also for HomerJSimpson !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pretty sure all PT hubs that have the "powercap" were G3 and had a micro-usb connector on them? (I say this mostly thinking about the ANT+ caps, I guess I can't confirm for BLE or the, now standard, combo BLE ANT+ caps).

Directed towards anyone else who may be able to help:

I have 2 power tap wheels with G3 caps -- both were rebuilt from older hubs (one an SL+ and one a Pro). I successfully updated the firmware in one of the caps about a year ago, but the other wheel is new to me as of a week ago and I cannot seem to update the firmware! PowerAgent is telling me no supported device(s) found, even though my PC does show a USB Input Device in device manager.

I have tried to troubleshoot it with several PCs running anything from Windows Vista to 7 and 10, all with basically the same answer. I've tried with the battery in the cap and removed... Eventually I even plugged my cap that was previously updated in to my PC assuming it would tell me it was up-to-date, but it also said no devices found.

Anyway, I'll likely just keep using the existing firmware on the hubs I have (one updated so 0 = "ideal cal", the other older where the 511ish = "ideal cal"), but I figured I'd see if anyone here had any better tips.

FWIW the older hub doesn't show a SN in the Fenix 3 "about" when connected, but the newer firmware did for whatever reason.

Also the PT support e-mail was quite responsive but didn't ultimately offer any solutions after a few communications.

I wouldn't mind buying a combo cap just to have the option of indoor training with my phone, but $149 is crazy high for the replacement cap (especially if I have a functional ANT+ cap).
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [nord0296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P1 issue here hoping someone can help. I've emailed PowerTap, but never got a response. I also called twice without any success in fixing this.
The pedals appear to be functioning fine with measuring power. However I'm stuck on an old firmware version. I'm unable to update as I get an error from the app saying my pedals are in an invalid state. I've tried to recover firmware but either I can't find the button or it never shows up. I've also been instructed to take batteries out of pedals and put back in as well as restart iPhone. Nothing is helping, anyone have ideas?

For anyone interested, the latest app update fixed my problem. I was able to update the pedals to latest firmware.
Last edited by: Calvinbal6: Nov 8, 16 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing to offer sorry other than checking that both your phone and the app are up to date - both got updated fairly recently.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some quick updates from me based on some communications I have been having from a very helpful guy at Powertap (Cody) :-)

My questions related to the GS hub (and therefore I assume my info is also relevant to the G3 and any other variants of hub with the latest dual ANT+ and Bluetooth cap).

The hub comes set with ā€˜auto zeroā€™ function being set to ā€˜onā€™ as default. So for those that canā€™t see this option on their head unit (i.e. me with a Polar V650) there is no need to concern yourselves with this feature, it will just work invisibly for you in the background. The recommendation for the hubs was never to turn this off (possibly why I canā€™t even see the option if I connect through the latest app). Only the pedals ā€˜couldā€™ need this function temporarily disabling.

The torque offset values have changed recently. My ā€˜Offset Raw Torque Valueā€™ after what the app said was a ā€˜successful calibrationā€™ is 2046.97 Nm. This was confirmed as normal and the response was even accompanied with an identical screen shot from the app of a Powertap technician showing a value of 2047.88 Nm.

Hope this helps someone reading this in future :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having a terrible time talking to powertap about my pedals not spinning freely. Is there a way to inject grease into the pedal? Phone calls don't seem to get me anywhere. Anyone know why powertap doesn't respond to postings or emails when contacted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvinbal6 wrote:
I'm having a terrible time talking to powertap about my pedals not spinning freely. Is there a way to inject grease into the pedal? Phone calls don't seem to get me anywhere. Anyone know why powertap doesn't respond to postings or emails when contacted?

I was unable to get a response on email from them. But I easily got a human being on the phone. It's unclear from your post whether you're unable to get a human being or you don't find them helpful on the phone, but I'm guessing the latter. And if that's the case, wouldn't you expect a similar response on email or to postings? Pedals not spinning freely sounds like a no-brainer warranty issue, and I wouldn't try to mess around with lubricating them yourself. Get a human being on the phone, get a return authorization, ship them back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a factual question about my new P1 pedals.

- When I zero offset (i.e. "calibrate" on my Garmin) before each ride, the offset is always 8, 10, or 12. My question is, if I don't zero offset before a given ride, do my pedals stick with the last offset I did, or is there no offsetting at all, i.e. will my power numbers for that ride be off by 8-12 watts (I'm assuming watts are the offset units)?

- Relatedly, since the offset presumably changes a little during the ride as the temperature fluctuates, given how narrow the offset value range I'm getting is, how important is it to to zero offset before each ride?

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess offset is measured in Newton meters, I suppose watts is a unit of force over time whereas a Newton-meter is just instantaneous force. High school physics was a long, long time ago...
Last edited by: niccolo: Nov 11, 16 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [pulmark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pulmark wrote:
WD Pro wrote:

I took the power cap off when I first got it (no other reason other than being nosey) and I seem to recall it having a standard micro USB under there ? I have checked the instructions and they suggest the same ?

In PT instructional video for G3 PowerCap is shown and at time 0:35 - 0:45 I think standard micro-USB type-B connector can be seen. There is a metal frame where cable is pushed. This metal frame is not symmetric so the cable connects only in right position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXeMC-mamQA

I took photo of my PowerCap:

https://drive.google.com/...fQ8xza09iWjY2VDMyZTA

The PowerCap doesn't have metal frame in connector. There is a white, female part in the hub center site of the connector hole. This white part is not centered as in the new type-C USB cables. The connector hole itself looks symmetric but the white connector part makes it not symmetric.

Below is the photo of commonly used USB type cables:

https://drive.google.com/...fQ8xzbnUyY21hMFRZWEk

I have the 1st and 3rd ones from the left that are standard micro-USB and mini-USB type-B connectors. At least they are not compatible with the powercap that I have.

I sent questions to Saris support about the cable connector type and if it is possible to manual-zero the hub using cable via PowerAgent.

I have the exact same problem. New unit. Can't figure out how to update firmware without solving the cable riddle.

Did you have any response from Saris?
Thx
Quote Reply
Joule read inside? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have been using the mobile app while riding inside this winter with no issues. I recently purchased the joule gps+ and can't get it to read power. It won't start recording. The manual says I should be able to select "prompt to record" (or something like that) as opposed to selecting it to record when HR or speed is detected, but that option does not appear on the selection list. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Ed
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of P1 pedals and occasionally when I calibrate I get an error message with an associated number. I have searched for what that number meant as I had assumed it was significant and referred to a specific error message.
Yesterday I had 5 consectuvive failures, all returning different numbers between 3 and 19. I then assumed that might be some sort of offset.
I then fixed the issue (I had replaced the battery without my glasses on and put it in the wrong way around DOH!)

Anyway - my question - do the error codes have any significance, if so where are they documented please.

Supplementary question - On my Garmin 810 I have an option to 'auto calibrate on' or similar. Does that mean I don't have to calibrate my P1s each time I ride?

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently updated my Power Agent software to 7.9.15. Since the update, I can no longer connect to the firmware server. The error message is ā€œError connecting to firmware serverā€.

Anyone else experience this issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IĀ“m having problems with P1-pedals and garmin devices.

It all works perfect when IĀ“m using my Edge 810 computer and P1-pedals. It allso works perfect when I`m using my FR920 and P1-pedals. But when I try to save data to both devices at same time IĀ“m starting to lose data.

If I start the exercise with my 810 the data and cadence values are good and solid, but at the very same moment when I pair my 920 to P1 (or wifes Edge 520) cadence and power drops to 0 on both devices. Power and cadence returns to normal only by shutting down the second device.

Anyone else having the same problem? Any idea how to avoid it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P1 pedals, 2 months old. Red led flashes every 3 seconds on r/h pedal , the slave one.
IOS app only shows master pedal. Firmware on that is up to date.
Fitted and refitted pedals. Put new lithium batteries in, took out batteries completely for 90 minutes.

Are they broken.
Logged a call with Powertap support but no response

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually experiencing both of these above with my P1s

Having both my 810 and my fr735xt record power appears to mess up the data. The same does not occur with heart rate. I have to turn off one to make it okay again.

I also have my slave (right) pedal blinking red and occasionally a green blink. Calibration on either device says it failed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazingly, after four days of the r/h pedal not working on my kickr the pedal suddenly sprung into life.
No Idea of why but it is performing fine now.
Powertap support never got back to me. Not very impressed with them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnybike wrote:
Amazingly, after four days of the r/h pedal not working on my kickr the pedal suddenly sprung into life.
No Idea of why but it is performing fine now.
Powertap support never got back to me. Not very impressed with them.
Your previous post you said "logged a call". Was that a phone call or just email to their support? I had an issue last year where I emailed through the website. Crickets. Had a bigger issue in January this year and called on the phone during their business hours and got a live person, and as a consequence, immediate attention and resolution. It wasn't the first time an email request went unnoticed by them.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I posted an email rather than rang them. However at 0.45p a minute from the UK it could have been an expensive call.

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [PowerTapPM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a problem I'd love to solve before this weekend rides. Powertap P1 pedals, nearly a year old. Recently have been having trouble getting the LEFT pedal to pick up, right one says connected quickly (in the ios app anyway). Changed battery, swapped caps (as suggested by customer service). Then they sent me new caps with the V2 printed on them. I just installed those and tried to pair. Right pedal pairs quickly. Left pedal shows a SOLID RED led light. NOT flashing, but solid red. On the ios app it shows "connecting".

Now I don't know what to do to fix this. Any ideas? Can't find anything online through searching of what my next steps should be.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [PowerTapPM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a question regarding my PT PRO+ hub...I went to calibrate the wheel and the RAW torque number came up 814 and then the offset was 814 as well. seems a bit high and out of the realm of calibration numbers. I have 2 other PT hubs that are usually between 505-512....should i be concerned? is the PRO+ no good any more?
Quote Reply

Prev Next