Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There will be no torque measuring devices...

Why not? Wouldn't that definitively confirm or (gasp!) disprove your claims? Sounds to me like you're afraid of something...

Also, can I ask what the relation of your saddle is to the BB? Using the UCI method of measurement, what's your "saddle setback"? It's just that after trying to decode your descriptions of "toes down" pedaling and the "linear style", I keep thinking that, if taken to the extreme, your setup looks something like this:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Nov 11, 07 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
There will be no torque measuring devices...[/reply]
Why not? Wouldn't that definitively confirm or (gasp!) disprove your claims? Sounds to me like you're afraid of something...
Also, can I ask what the relation of your saddle is to the BB? Using the UCI method of measurement, what's your "saddle setback"? It's just that after trying to decode your descriptions of "toes down" pedaling and the "linear style", I keep thinking that, if taken to the extreme, your setup looks something like this:
[img]http://www.me.mtu.edu/news/HPV_2004-02a.jpg[/img][/reply]

Because I know exactly where I am applying the power and those who see how it's done and experience the basic techniques for themselves will also understand how and where the power is being applied. The saddle setting is 2 cm behind BB, it does not comply with the UCI rules but that's due to their ignorance on pedaling. That rule was only introduced to prevent G. Obree from ending up with a position as in your picture. The reason you and others find my descriptions so hard to understand is because ye have all failed to use your cleats for best advantage in the same way as ye rest on the arms during TT's instead of using them. The body position and appearance setup used with this technique at full power output will be identical to that of Anquetil in the footage of his successful hour record attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any news on Joaquin's daughter?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply][reply]
There will be no torque measuring devices...[/reply]
[img]http://www.me.mtu.edu/news/HPV_2004-02a.jpg[/img][/reply]

Because I know exactly where I am applying the power and those who see how it's done and experience the basic techniques for themselves will also understand how and where the power is being applied. The saddle setting is 2 cm behind BB, it does not comply with the UCI rules but that's due to their ignorance on pedaling. That rule was only introduced to prevent G. Obree from ending up with a position as in your picture. The reason you and others find my descriptions so hard to understand is because ye have all failed to use your cleats for best advantage in the same way as ye rest on the arms during TT's instead of using them. The body position and appearance setup used with this technique at full power output will be identical to that of Anquetil in the footage of his successful hour record attempt.

OK...so now we're finally getting somewhere (I think). So, you advocate a setup rotated forward about the bottom bracket as compared to a typical road position. Naturally, that will result in the "toes down" position appearance you describe if the orientation of the legs and feet are consistent relative to the BB. I myself have a TT position close to this and coupled with a Flandis-style bar position, I find that I can use my arms to aid in short term power "spikes". Also, it does feel as if the power application is in more of a fore and aft direction. But, to say that this "eliminates the dead spot" is simply ludicrous.

Why do you never post side shots of Mr. Anquetil to help demonstrate your supposed "point"? For example, you describe footage of his hour record attempt. It's pretty simple to grab a screenshot, isn't it?

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any news on Joaquin's daughter?

Given the misfortune that seems to follow everyone who tries to validate Frank's claims, I think we've proven one thing...

PC's are bad luck.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

OK...so now we're [i]finally[/i] getting somewhere (I think). So, you advocate a setup rotated forward about the bottom bracket as compared to a typical road position. Naturally, that will result in the "toes down" position appearance you describe if the orientation of the legs and feet are consistent relative to the BB. I myself have a TT position close to this and coupled with a Flandis-style bar position, I find that I can use my arms to aid in short term power "spikes". Also, it does [i]feel[/i] as if the power application is in more of a fore and aft direction. But, to say that this "eliminates the dead spot" is simply ludicrous.

Why do you never post side shots of Mr. Anquetil to help demonstrate your supposed "point"? For example, you describe footage of his hour record attempt. It's pretty simple to grab a screenshot, isn't it? [/reply]

Sorry to have to say this, you are getting nowhere. To begin, you can't use Landis aero type clip on bars. For this technique special "Scott Rake" type bars are a necessity, set the same distance apart as the balls of feet on pedals. I am using a normal road bike position. Saddle set back from BB has nothing to do with a rider's position on bike because he could be seated on nose of saddle or well back to the rear of the saddle as I do. The "toes down" pedaling style is overdone, the direction that the shoes are pointing is the direction through which the power is being directed from hip to pedal. J Bobet a pro rider still alive today rode with Anquetil and later as a journalist studied his technique from a car as he followed him in time trials. He was the only person to make a correct analysis of where Anquetil's success lay, when asked he replied," I think it was to do with his pedaling style, his muscles and the smooth constant way that they delivered power to his bike, Anquetil was perfection at continuous motion, his system was totally adapted to it." This is a clear reference to the ability to be able to apply max power at all times even when the pedals were travelling through the dead spot area. So while you can't do it, that does not mean it cannot be done. My knowledge of computers is very limited, it came too late in life, I hate it and never had the patience to do any study on their uses, I only did what was necessry for work before I retired almost a year ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Sorry to have to say this, you are getting nowhere. To begin, you can't use Landis aero type clip on bars. For this technique special "Scott Rake" type bars are a necessity, set the same distance apart as the balls of feet on pedals. I am using a normal road bike position. Saddle set back from BB has nothing to do with a rider's position on bike because he could be seated on nose of saddle or well back to the rear of the saddle as I do. The "toes down" pedaling style is overdone, the direction that the shoes are pointing is the direction through which the power is being directed from hip to pedal. J Bobet a pro rider still alive today rode with Anquetil and later as a journalist studied his technique from a car as he followed him in time trials. He was the only person to make a correct analysis of where Anquetil's success lay, when asked he replied," I think it was to do with his pedaling style, his muscles and the smooth constant way that they delivered power to his bike, Anquetil was perfection at continuous motion, his system was totally adapted to it." This is a clear reference to the ability to be able to apply max power at all times even when the pedals were travelling through the dead spot area. So while you can't do it, that does not mean it cannot be done. My knowledge of computers is very limited, it came too late in life, I hate it and never had the patience to do any study on their uses, I only did what was necessry for work before I retired almost a year ago.

Well, GOOD LORD, MAN, you'd better get this "mysterious technique" documented somehow before it's lost forever to the sands of time! I'm not saying it'll happen anytime soon, but you aren't getting any younger, are you?

BTW, have you ever successfully taught this "technique" to an actual person? Just hoping we might have another resource to tap into to try to figure what in the heck you keep doddering on about...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11th post down.

Does it look familiar

http://www.cyclingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-233514-p-11.html

"Only when the leg power application and arm resistance lines are parallel can most effective use be made of the arms. This cannot happen with aerobars or with the natural pedalling style. You need "Scott Rake" type bars and a very different pedalling style."

And I am guessing the Fday is Frank day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]

BTW, have you ever successfully taught this "technique" to an actual person? Just hoping we might have another resource to tap into to try to figure what in the heck you keep doddering on about...[/reply]

Now you can understand why I can't take the risk of breaking records, this is a very powerful style and there is the danger of blowing a gasket. That's why I would like to pass it on to scientists before I return to some serious time trial riding. If I don't, changes in equipment in recent years have now made it impossible for anyone else to discover this technique. No I have not passed it on to anyone, riders around here are not interested in the science of pedaling, dead spots etc, like Dr Coggan all they are interested in is stomping on their pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You say no one wants to learn it??

What a load of CRAP!!!!!!!!

I will state here and now I will come to WHERE EVER you are and have you teach me your technique and use it EXCLUSIVELY.

Put up or SHUT UP, N CROWLEY!

Here you are spewing the same garbage back in Nov 2001

This one is from Nov 2001.

http://archive.roadbikereview.com/04/0EEE7F77.php

Second post from the bottom.

Brainwashed into believing that the round pedaling method of
pedaling is the only way to pedal. Riders are spending their
hard earned cash on over expensive equipment in order to save seconds in a tt, while countless riders throughout the
world are forced to suffer lower back pain or else give up
the sport. By using Anquetil's combined arm/leg power way
of pedaling, minutes could be saved and all cycling related
lower back pain eliminated, and all for free, if the experts
swallowed their pride and accepted the fact that they were wrong and there was a more efficient and safer way to
power the pedals. Saying Anquetil was genetically a freak
of nature with an enlarged heart etc was an easy escape for
the experts from having to admit that all his success was
due to his mysterious pedaling.
The proof of the effect that Anquetil's technique had on
the back can be found in the recently released video on
Anquetil's racing career, in the statement of his teams
masseur " When lying face down on the massage table, the
backs of all the riders were curved downwards but there was
no curve on Anquetil's back, it was flat and felt very
powerful". The difference was such that it left the masseur
still believing that Anquetil's mysterious power came from
his back. In reality that difference was due to the effect
of the years of continuous strain which round pedalling
puts on the back. Anquetil's technique puts all that strain
safely in the hips and strengthens the back.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You say no one wants to learn it??
What a load of CRAP!!!!!!!!
I will state here and now I will come to WHERE EVER you are and have you teach me your technique and use it EXCLUSIVELY.
Put up or SHUT UP, N CROWLEY!

.[/reply]

You will have to agree it is consistent which means it's genuine.
Yes I am about to put up very soon but sorry unlike Frank Day, you are not a scientist. I hope you have got good value from your Powercranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply.

I am not sure if you think I have power cranks or not. To tell you the truth I don't even know exactly what power cranks are.

What I am interested in is going faster. If you would like to show me how I am more than willing to fly to where you are or fly you here so you can show me.

As I say I just want to go faster and am willing to learn from anyone.

Just send me a PM to set it up. You say no one around you wants to learn so now you have no more excuses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You will have to agree it is consistent which means it's genuine.

It only means that you genuinely believe it to be true...not that is true. There's a difference.

In Reply To:
Yes I am about to put up very soon but sorry unlike Frank Day, you are not a scientist. I hope you have got good value from your Powercranks.

If Mr. Day fits your definition of a "scientist", well...then that just makes the potential pool of qualified observers wide open, now doesn't it? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen the file yet?

I don't want to be inconsiderate about Joaquin's daughter, I'm not sure how she's doing. Just curious about the file in question.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think we're going to hear from Joaquim again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I don't want to be inconsiderate about Joaquin's daughter, I'm not sure how she's doing. Just curious about the file in question.
I am sure he will forward it when he gets a chance. I understand he travel's A LOT. We will get it when we get it.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I am sure he will forward it when he gets a chance. I understand he travel's A LOT. We will get it when we get it"

I'm sure you're right. But, if it were me and a bunch of random guys from a forum were talking about me, I'd spend the 45 seconds it takes to FTP the file to someone and be done with it. But, that's just me. He seems convinced of his power numbers, and a few seconds to upload a file sounds like time well spent to get some people off my back.

Then again, if he's traveling he might not have internet access....the internet isn't everywhere! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Thank you for the reply.

I am not sure if you think I have power cranks or not. To tell you the truth I don't even know exactly what power cranks are.

What I am interested in is going faster.

. [/reply]

What pedaling style do you use ? This technique will make you faster but I am not a coach and when I give this demonstration it is only for demonstrating the basic biomechanics of this completely different method of pedaling, in order to confirm that max power can be applied through that normally neutral area around 12 o'c, that max arm resistance and leg power can be combined and that the lower back can be completely removed from all the stress and strains of sustained powerful high gear power output in time trials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What pedaling style do you use ? This technique will make you faster but I am not a coach and when I give this demonstration it is only for demonstrating the basic biomechanics of this completely different method of pedaling, in order to confirm that max power can be applied through that normally neutral area around 12 o'c, that max arm resistance and leg power can be combined and that the lower back can be completely removed from all the stress and strains of sustained powerful high gear power output in time trials.
Do you mean you have to lay on the floor and pedal upwards at the bike? I would agree that you could reduce back strain that way and eliminate the dead spot, but it seems to be a questionable way to go faster. Well, it's no wonder you're the only one who has perfected it (much less thought of it). I'm just glad you finally cleared up what you were talking about.

Cheers,

Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try different ways of peddaling from higher cadence trying the round circles of 95 to 100 and also mashing at 85 RPM>

And I am suffering back aches from it. I have done TTs, road races and tris and am desperately seeking something for more power and less back stress.

I am VERY open to trying alternatives.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [bjbest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]

Do you mean you have to lay on the floor and pedal upwards at the bike? I would agree that you could reduce back strain that way and eliminate the dead spot, but it seems to be a questionable way to go faster. Well, it's no wonder you're the only one who has perfected it (much less thought of it). I'm just glad you finally cleared up what you were talking about.
Cheers,
Brad[/reply]

Engineers are still trying in vain to eliminate that notorious dead area, I don't eliminate it, I make maximum use of the opportunity it offers to apply additional max power where nobody else can. Like yourself the mistake all riders make is in believing that pedal power can only be applied by using the gym leg press machine type technique and this is the limiting factor and root cause of all pedaling's unsolved problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Just got it.

I'm kinda busy at the moment but I'll try to look more deeply at the file either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks go to Joaquin for sharing the file. Hope his daughter is better.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Just got it.

I'm kinda busy at the moment but I'll try to look more deeply at the file either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks go to Joaquin for sharing the file. Hope his daughter is better.
I did hear from Joaquin that he thought he had sent this to everyone awhile back. Anyhow, it has apparently gone out to everyone who asked for it now. Looking forward to the evaluations.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be interesting. This is one of those cases where HR is not redundant, as it may say a lot about how maxed out the effort really was (or not, I can't recall right now). Everyone will have plenty of spare time over the holiday weekend to argue about it! Smile

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Should be interesting. This is one of those cases where HR is not redundant, as it may say a lot about how maxed out the effort really was (or not, I can't recall right now). Everyone will have plenty of spare time over the holiday weekend to argue about it! [:)][/reply]

When examination of this file is complete, what is it going to prove about the use of Powercranks that could not be done with normal cranks ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next