Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [ChristyTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was an error on logging date. I am just starting to use the log and accidently entered last Thursday's (Dec 10) runs under this Thurs (Dec 17). Its all fixed now so I am down to 0. Since I slept through this mornings run, I hope to log run 1 later tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: Dec 15th: We're ON 100 Runs in Run Days Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in, logged my lunch run, the plan is 5-6 days per week average. 1 deg C, light fluffy snow in the air, trails were like skating on mud, perfect.

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Logged my first run.

And now I've posted my first message.

This has turned into a big day!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Frank Ferrari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just motivated me to train. I forgot for a moment that I am going from the slow 40-44 age group to the fast 45-49 on Jan 1.....can I slack off for 16 more days?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mmmmhmmmm......

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [meganruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was calling out btmoney and happyfeet. They both confessed to their transgression on Facebook.

I've got a trail run on the schedule tonight. Should be wet and cold. Dark too. Great way to kick off the challenge!

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wasn't there an average pace column last year? Any way to get that included?

I think they took it out and replaced it with the points thing. I didn't really miss it but even if I did, trying to add it back in would make a page which already takes too long to load take all that much longer.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, the page does load VERY slowly.

I know the points thing is Slowman's thing, so it's cool. Just seems totally useless to most and it was cool to track progress over the months seeing your average pace fall.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that the points thing is there to put overall training into perspective. When you look at challenges the cream rises to the top and makes the average joe look pretty ..... well ..... average. But when you consider overall points, a lot of the front runners in the challenge fall to MOP. So, in reality, it's just another one of Slowman's whiney, liberal, 'everybody's a winner' consolation prizes for the losers among us. :)

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, in reality, it's just another one of Slowman's whiney, liberal, 'everybody's a winner' consolation prizes for the losers among us. :)

Damnit Slowman, quit this welfare system and bring back to pace column!

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for this game. I doub't I'll get to 100 runs; 70 may seem more manageable...

Joel | My Blog | Team Rev3 Tri | Twitter @TriMadness
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I did like the average pace column, some days and other days I did not. I found that the average pace column could be a motivators on fast days but worked against me on easy days when I would intrisically start running faster than I should have....and frankly after 40 days your average pace is more or less locked down for the entire challenge....it takes a herculean effort to drop it in the second half by any reasonable amount.

"But when you consider overall points, a lot of the front runners in the challenge fall to MOP."

Actually this is untrue. I have participated in all of the ST challenges this year except for a few of the swim ones (kind of pointless when you swim 0-2x per week). What I have seen is that the front runners in every challenge be they run, bike or total points also happen to be the same guys doing the most overall training (aerobic points). Here is an example: http://training.slowtwitch.com/...allengeType=distance

You can also look at the May bike Challenge or June points challenge (well, that one is obvious) to see who did what.

They also happen to be the guys (relative to others in the challenges) finishing up near the front of actual races. Anyway, it is what it is.

I'm somewhat indifferent about the aerobic points thing. It clearly favours someone like me who happens to inherently train more than most of you guys, but I don't do these challenges to chase positions on a spreadsheet. I just do what I'd normally do to train for events or to enjoy the training aspect of my life and it is interesting to see what friends worldwide are up to, without physically having to be in Tokyo, Sydney, Columbo, Berlin, Rotterdam , DC, Boulder or Seattle on a given day :-).
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 15, 09 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually think the average pace thing is possibly even counter productive for that reason. When the column was up there, I would always notice whenever my average pace dropped a bit due to a slow run or two. I would think about it. I don't think is too helpful because average weekly pace doesn't (in my opinion) mean a damn thing. It's particularly counter-productive if it starts makes you concerned with the pace of your every day runs or -- even worse -- motivating you to run them any faster. That's pointless in running outside of a speed workout.

When I first started training with a Garmin, I very quickly learned to set up a screen that did not show any pace or splits. Just distance, time of day, and possibly heart rate or GPS accuracy or some other such field. This is what I use for my everyday runs. It allows me to relax on a training run and just concentrate on form.

Whenever I used to have the "last lap" split on there, I would invariably start noticing it and pick up the pace without even realizing I was doing it. Perhaps the rest of you are immune to that but I am not.
Last edited by: JoeO: Dec 15, 09 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [TX McLuvin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome to the PARTY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of 45-49 AG, I logged 2 runs today (and swam 2000 yards, which for me is A LOT, and still 2000 yards more than ML has swum since September).

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"....Perhaps the rest of you are immune to that but I am not...."

No they/we are not. You are 100% correct that the only time pace matters is during intervals (split times) or races. The rest of the time, it is meaningless.

Tetsuoni, both my swim speed and swim plan resemble ML's....did you see my pathetic Clearwater swim split?

OK, I ran today. Nice run 48 minutes 10K with some light snow coverage with 4x90 second "not so steep" hills (just took them steady).
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 15, 09 14:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You laid out the trap and I fell into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in and did an easy 6km run this morning after my swim,just as the sun was coming up. There was about 3 inches of fluffy snow on the trail and my dog had a blast. Picture perfect for the first run in the ....

100/100 BIG WHITE SKI RESORT SMACKDOWN!!!!!

CaptainCanada vs Cannonball vs Caphyphen vs T-man

VICTORY SHALL BE MINE!!!!! (Total runs & mileage)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Executed plan 6.1 miles this morning threshold run 4.25 mile recovery run tonight. First mile in 9min 30 sec and next 3.25 IDK had to be around 8 min or 8 fifteen min mile. Average HR was 136 bpm. Came home had a cup of coffee and ice cream cone with kiddies and wife. tommorow @ 5 a.m. 5-6 miles run and 1000 meters in pool then evening run. Anyway having fun if i could keep up for 2-3 weeks as planned will have my first 70 mile run weeks. Looks like I need to stock up on shoes.

Quote | Reply
After I posted, I actually looked back at two of the previous challenges and saw the same trend you pointed out - so I stand corrected. IMO, the pace chart could either be considered harmless or detrimental, but probably not highly beneficial. Once you mix in AR runs, high frequency, and eventually intervals/speedwork - then consider what kind of shape most folks are in at this time of year - the results could appear convoluted, leading some to respond by pushing too hard. For those in good form, it could be a periodic motivator, but probably wouldn't tell you much that you already didn't know from your own progress tracking. And as you said, once you're a few weeks in, the table is set, and it will take a herculian effort to drive the average pace lower.

First run of the challenge tonight ... easy 8:00 pace for 8.5 miles. Felt good and productive, but busted my ass on some black ice coming back into the neighborhood (still wondering why someone would hose down their driveway to clear snow in 20F weather). The slop on the shoulders and sidewalks will warrant the use of my trail runners from now on. Apparently, the slumping economy and dwindling DOT budget aren't conducive to plowing more than once a week. Winter is here, and I've embraced her.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the end of run 1 of 100 tonight I did something to my ankle and now I am limping like crazy. Maybe I'll only have 1 run in 100 days. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run #1 I just ran for 32 mins, nice and easy. Feeling good after Cozumel. Here you go B.

http://chasingtracey.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOW AND STEADY MAN!
I already missed day one. Wtf. doubling up tomorrow so I'm back on track, but shiiiiiit that is not a good way to start the 100in100 challenge. Did you see the icon I made for my website? http://www.endurancemeg.com

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ice, elevate, rest tomorrow then quit whining and get back out there. Wink

I got in my first run tonight. Pouring rain, night run on a local mountain. It was raining so hard I could barely see where I was going and mostly just crossed my fingers I wasn't going to trip over something. My breath was causing the light from my headlamp to bounce back into my face so really, I was running pretty blind for a while there. Managed not to fall though! 5 miles in around an hour. Didn't check my watch.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: 100 runs 100 days Starting Dec 15th [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today has been an awesome day. Stayed up until midnight last night/this morning and started the first run at 12:20 in 10 degree F weather. Then this evening I got in run #2. Haven't run since it got cold last week, and this challenge is just what I needed. One year ago I signed up for this challenge but couldn't make it through the first week. This year 40 pounds lighter I am ready! 2 runs down, 98 to go!
Quote Reply

Prev Next