Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [techknowgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best part about Lance joining IM is the number of slight used Trek Speed Concept bikes that will be for sale in a few years as the wanna-be's, inspired by his racing live on NBC, realize the dust collecting carbon weight they never ride any more in their spare bedroom is taking up to much space. ;)

If you're not going to win the race, at least make the other guy break the record.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
Ryon wrote:

LAF hasn't funded cancer research in years (according to Outside Magazine http://www.outsideonline.com/...b-Rats.html?page=all). Is he inspiring? Maybe. But the cancer patients I see every day need more than motivation, and I know Lance didn't beat cancer on determination alone.

I hope the implication here is that the only dollars that matter are the ones that go directly toward funding cancer research.

I can tell you - first person - that the research, med, and protocol side of it is surely one large facet of dealing with cancer. But don't bring the argument to ST doorstep that in the absence of granting pure direct research dollars that Livestrong doesn't do good. I can think of a ton of other things Livestrong brings - and that my family has used.

Not the least of which Lance's high-profile advocacy itself probably makes the direct research dollars boat rise, too. There was a flood of new funding at the one cancer center I know directly around the same time Livestrong was at it's hyped best, and Lance was winning tours. I can't point at it and say Livestrong was the causal, but I can't say it wasn't one of many. It sure as hell doesn't hurt.

ETA: didn't mean to drag the post off topic. I'm glad that Lance is doing Tris, and in IM. I think it's fantastic, and that there will be doors that open for many pros, AGers, races, RD's, and industry folk that no one can imagine yet, and will become apparent over time. As Jordan pointed out, Lance is on a different planet economically. At a time when tri as a niche sport doesn't welcome a titan that has the chance to take the entire tri landscape up a notch - I'm not sure why it isn't a good thing.

ETA2: I'd bet that retailers, coaching, and gear manufacturers are expecting some kind of bump. He just brings that many more eyes, and some percentage of them will spend money. It can't hurt, IMO. I'd love to hear coaches, retailers, and manufacturers chime in.

Was it "Ever" about funding cancer research? I was always under the impression that LiveStrong was about cancer awareness.
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:

I hope the implication here is that the only dollars that matter are the ones that go directly toward funding cancer research.

I was not. I hope I did not come across that way. But for some reason everyone I talk to seems to think that LAF is a major financier of cancer research. They are not. The Outside Magazine article does, however present Doug Ullman's argument that their foundation would merely present a drop in the bucket next to the research dollars from the National Institutes of Health.

Rick in the D wrote:

I can tell you - first person - that the research, med, and protocol side of it is surely one large facet of dealing with cancer. But don't bring the argument to ST doorstep that in the absence of granting pure direct research dollars that Livestrong doesn't do good. I can think of a ton of other things Livestrong brings - and that my family has used.

Please, there is no need to create a rhetorical false dichotomy. There might be positive impact from LAF in other areas, but direct research impact has not been one of them.

Rick in the D wrote:

Not the least of which Lance's high-profile advocacy itself probably makes the direct research dollars boat rise, too. There was a flood of new funding at the one cancer center I know directly around the same time Livestrong was at it's hyped best, and Lance was winning tours. I can't point at it and say Livestrong was the causal, but I can't say it wasn't one of many. It sure as hell doesn't hurt.

You said it yourself, without established causation, you cannot give LAF credit.

I agree with you that the Lance factor might bring publicity to the sport and get more people into swimming, running, and cycling. I cannot argue against that. But I do not want people to think that any of $$ from Ironman will get pumped directly into cancer research.

-----------------------
My Science Blog
"The only fair race is the race against the clock" -Anquetil

Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [Ryon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryon wrote:

I agree with you that the Lance factor might bring publicity to the sport and get more people into swimming, running, and cycling. I cannot argue against that. But I do not want people to think that any of $$ from Ironman will get pumped directly into cancer research.

Agreed, all points. The interesting thing is that the chatter (well, the thread title took it there) is all about Lance, and what he'll do for the sport.

I think this is almost as much, if not more, about the WTC. Over the last few years, they've kinda pissed everyone off and been the bull in the China shop. Investing a mullion bucks in a charity? Sounds like buying a bit of goodwill, with an upside.

----> conjecture hat on ---> And the upside could be that WTC is starting to get their investor exit strategy in place. I don't think a WTC sale or IPO would have been feasible without some big-time partners - no goodwill, not scalable. With Lance as a partner, they may be another partner or two away from being scalable. If they're headed that direction. It'd be an interesting IPO with Lance on the investor list.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [Sean F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And will Cervelo finally lose their spot on the Kona count to Trek?
Quote Reply
Re: Rappstar's viewpoint on Lance in IM? [Ryon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Livestrong doesn't fund research...And Lance racing triathon will NOT have any impact on the NIH funding level. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand how things reall work in Washington.

Bob
Quote Reply

Prev Next