Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rapp how bout we make zwift more like a video game!
Quote | Reply
I love zwift, err i love the idea of zwift, I pay for it but I really don't use it that much. I train indoors almost exclusively. When I use it I control my power with traineroad using my coaches workouts, while I watch walking dead or something. I just can't get it to grab my attention. So i propose we get zwift to give us some features that we have to interact with, like you crash if you don't hit the brake button on your phone or tablet, or if you don't use the turn button you crash again and your trainer power goes to zero as punishment.
But really my dream is how cool would it be to have a video game zwift, I'd pay for a controler that hooks to my bike, maybe even shoot stuff??? How about mario kart with bikes??? any ideas out there?? I wish there were as many people that used zwift as there are xbox peeps. FYI zwift i would pay more for more game features in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp how bout we make zwift more like a video game! [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a whole community (well, a few of them) over on Facebook for Zwift. Go nuts with the idea posting there. You'll find a lot of it has been covered already. As for making it more of a game. They did yesterday... and my word did it ruffle some feathers. The new roads are only accessible if you're level 10 (~800km career total kms on Zwift). You can sneak into a bunch/group ride on them. Or 'join a friend' who's already heading that way and jump the gate. I can imagine the outcry if they made it more game like. A lot of people use it as a training tool.... so they're limited of where they can take it in this respect. Nobody wants to be in the middle of a 2x20 block and hooked off the road.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp how bout we make zwift more like a video game! [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely have to have a option not to join in on the game or the whatever, I just really need a little more of a reason to watch my avatar....
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp how bout we make zwift more like a video game! [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In addition to the Zwift Community FB page, we also have the support pages where you can submit - and upvote - Feature Requests: https://support.zwift.com/...935-Feature-Requests

I see every post made in there (as does Jon Mayfield). No shortage of good ideas. Mostly just a shortage of hours in the day to code and test!

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a big part of your problem may be that you are letting the workout control your power. Have you tried doing it manually. Then you need to concentrate and watch the screen. I tried ERG mode. Didn't like it or see any advantage to it. I control my own power and that keeps you engaged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way I could control any video game elements when I'm doing harder stuff on Zwift, trying to follow a decent group ride or doing a structured workout and whatnot. It takes all my concentration just to reach down and hit the navigation cursors whenever I reach a junction.

I personally feel like it is as much of a "game" as it could be, without compromising the training aspect for people doing harder stuff on there. But you could add in some optional stuff for the zone 2 cruisers I guess.

The only gaming feature I'd like is to be able to chase down moped thieves in London and shoot them down GTA style. Those fuckers deserve it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp how bout we make zwift more like a video game! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, when I'm working hard all my concentration is focused on maintaining power output. I gave up trying to watch movies while training long ago for that very reason. I'd be following the movie during my warm-up but once I got into any sort of real work, I'd find I had no idea what had been happening in the movie. I can either work hard or distract myself, I can't do both. Similarly when racing, I'll often be trying to figure out pacing or ETAs. Maybe I saw a friend at a turnaround and I'm trying to calculate how far ahead or behind I am. It could take me a kilometer to figure out a calculation that would normally take 5 seconds, because I'll constantly re-focus on my effort and forget what I'm trying to calculate.

Maybe some people can work hard and play games at the same time, but I doubt it. I certainly couldn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp how bout we make zwift more like a video game! [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We used to set-up VR races in the Tacx software (riding the old fortius trainers), and years ago we used to have a ride with our team leadership once a week, where we didn't disable the steering feature, and could gang up on people and crash them... It was fun and therapeutic, but only when you know that's what the ride is for, rather than doing a specific workout (considering it would amp up the resistance and basically lock up your wheel for a few seconds after crashing...)...

They could create a second mode in Zwift, call it something like Arcade mode, and go super gamified in there, so that the people who want that stuff (or at the times where you want to play with that stuff) can have access to it, but not disrupting the normal riding for those who are using it for more focused training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
braking would be neat to simulate real world riding. maybe something you attach to your brakes that lets swift know you are braking. But I'm like you, I've been paying and rarely use it. Granted I don't have wet mode, but I feel I used TR much much more. will be switching back soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp how bout we make zwift more like a video game! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing that I've kept mentioning is the ability to steer and then ride all over the island like you can when riding a bicycle in GTA. There's an iphone game called "over the bars" that does that, so it's possible. And it's hilarious. You tilt your phone to steer and it picks up your bluetooth power to give you speed. It's on an island sorta like Watopia and you can turn off the road and ride all over the grass, beach, up the side of random hills, every square inch of the place, just like you can in GTA.

Here's a video of it in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUMqvibYoo

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp how bout we make zwift more like a video game! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That is AWESOME! That would keep me watching!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, if Rapp wants to get some bonus points with his new bosses, he should show them this. Zwift already has an iphone app, so this is super easy to do. This 1 guy built it in his spare time just for kicks. If you crash bad enough or get stuck long enough, it respawns you on the road nearby.

Imagine just turning off the road and riding through meadows and finding random bonus prizes, flying airborne off of big bumps and trying to leap over creeks, basically going all Red Bull X Games all over the place, just like in GTA. All you have to do is strap the phone to your handlebars and... turn!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply