Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rapha kit - Fall & Winter clothing / accessory recommendations
Quote | Reply
I have been dissatisfied with the lack of longevity in my fall and winter cycling clothing from Castelli. Logos peeling off, excessive stretching, etc. I got a pair of booties that split open on the first use and the merchant wouldn't take them back. Anyways, I am planning to slowly transition my fall and winter cycling clothes from Castelli to Rapha, because the few items I have from Rapha have held up great, fit well, and the customer service has been outstanding and painless to deal with.

So what are the best items for fall and winter from Rapha? I guess I would be looking for these staples

-Knickers (50-70 degrees)
-Tights (35-50 degrees)
-Heavy tights (25-35 degrees)
-Gloves (60+ degrees)
-Gloves (45-60 degrees)
-Gloves (30-45 degrees)
-Booties
-Jacket (40-60 degrees) a la Gabba/Perfetto
-Jacket (25-40 degrees) a la Elemento
-Wool base layers
-Rain jacket

Not looking for the top of line stuff is the lower end Rapha stuff does just fine. With Castelli the bottom of the line stuff is crap, whereas with Rapha it may be just fine. Not trying to break the bank to show off or anything
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha kit - Fall & Winter clothing / accessory recommendations [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the merino base layer with the high collar.. I love the quality and feel, but on several hilly rides - even in freezing conditions - I've gotten hot enough that I've wished I'd gotten the version with the lower collar paired with a neck gaiter instead for versatility.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha kit - Fall & Winter clothing / accessory recommendations [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tights and nickers are good.
Gloves..(40-50) only had use for the neoprene .. gets wet/sweaty inside a little but for my norcal climate it is enough
Booties . only used the overshoes (not waterproof) warm enough
Baselayers.. merino is pretty warm to me.. I also have a proteam winter which I don't even see on the site.. it's like neoprene/softsheel material and is super warm. I would not wear it unless it was below 35. Climbed Mt Hamilton in the winter with snow at the summit and I was fine...This was the one case the neoprene gloves where not enough (on the descent anyways)
Jacket - I have the RCC Race cape.. it has to be pretty cold for me to use it.
Vest - RCC again... same material as cape.. again has to be pretty cold for me to use it.

I'm a big Rapha fanboy... but honestly with stuff like knee warmers, leg warmers and nick nacks.. I buy Pearl Izumi.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Sep 3, 17 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Not trying to break the bank to show off or anything

Then I don't think you are Rapha's target customer.

I almost purchased my first Rapha item this week. I was wanting a vest for rainy races that doesn't have mesh in the back. The Rapha insulated brevet vest looked cool and it was on sale. Then I saw that they had an RCC Rain vest that fit my criteria even better. I was ready to purchase, and then saw that I had to pay to be in some sort of extra club just to pay even more to buy this vest. No thanks. I'm not Rapha's target customer either, apparently. I'll get a Castelli Perfetto instead.

FWIW, I've never had gloves I liked more than SealSkinz. They are insanely awesome. I've tried lots of other brands, but nothing comes close for me. I haven't tried and Rapha gloves, so what do i know....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long term Rapha fan, customer service is excellent. Only thing I would say is that their sizing has got very variable of late. My favourite Rapha pieces;
- shadow line - the jersey fit for me was gruel horrible so it went back but the leg warmers, bibs and arm warmers have all been great. Its proven more waterproof than my race gear
- race cape - great race jacket, they also do a waterproof gillet that is same material
- pro team or classic bibs - both are great, I prefer the pro team 2nd gen but both are brilliant
- deep winter gloves, the warmest gloves I've tried. Great for me as I feel the cold. I use the pro team soft shell ones in autumn, they are great
- brevet gillet - it's a hug in gillet form, absolutely fantastic piece of kit. Manages to be warm yet you don't over heat
Pro team winter longs, are also great for winter
In deep winter I use the merino winter base layer as well, comes with a collar
Merino arm and knee warmers are also my go to for spring and autumn
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha kit - Fall & Winter clothing / accessory recommendations [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
Gloves..(40-50) only had use for the neoprene .. gets wet/sweaty inside a little but for my norcal climate it is enough

I'm a big Rapha fanboy... but honestly with stuff like knee warmers, leg warmers and nick nacks.. I buy Pearl Izumi.

FWIW neoprene gloves are typically used in wet weather with the theory that yes, they get wet, however that thin layer of wetness stays warm instead of cold.

I'm glad you like the PI warmers. This fall our line-up included a new permanent water repellant treatment on the individual fibers. Very nice for those days when you aren't quite sure what's going to happen.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jacket 25-40:
Classic jacket is the way to go. Form fitting, good pockets, pit zips and the cool offset collar. Pair with long sleeve merino mesh base layer from 40 till freezing, then add as necessary as it gets colder.

The other jacket:
Brevet windblock jersey (plus merino mesh base layer if needed). I assume you want this item for wind protection in cooler weather. It's basically a jersey with a windproof front face that won't flap around.

Gloves:. They all suck. Sorry to say that. Gore-tex snowsport gloves like from Arc'teryx or Salomon generally have better dexterity, breathability and water resistance.

Rain jacket:
Your preferred jersey, Pro team rain vest plus Shadow arm warmers. Rain protection, heat management and modularity.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapha kit - Fall & Winter clothing / accessory recommendations [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
spntrxi wrote:

FWIW neoprene gloves are typically used in wet weather with the theory that yes, they get wet, however that thin layer of wetness stays warm instead of cold.

I'm glad you like the PI warmers. This fall our line-up included a new permanent water repellant treatment on the individual fibers. Very nice for those days when you aren't quite sure what's going to happen.

I get yeah.. the neoprene gloves were only an issue on the descent... going 30+mph w/wet gloves in 30 degree temps will get you. If I had a liner I probably would have been fine.

Good to know about the PI line... I actually love their stuff.. arm warmers, leg warmers, head covers, waterproof shoe covers.. etc. If I'm not wearing Rapha RCC stuff it's PI well usually both.
Quote Reply