Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno
Quote | Reply
Scary.. Gianni Mosco's front wheel (Pro?) collapses from under him during the TTT.

Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon wheels are dangerous and should be banned from the pro peleton.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:

If it had been a disc brake wheel too, who knows what carnage might have ensued.
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not entirely sure that I would accept the spare bike at that point.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeouch! He's gonna feel that one tomorrow. I wonder if the wheel was compromised somehow, like he may have previously hit a pot hole or something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geraint Thomas has said on Twitter that 3 of them broke...

Of course the other teams don't seem to have that issue, so I wonder if they used sulfuric acid to clean the rim bed...
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

Of course the other teams don't seem to have that issue, so I wonder if they used sulfuric acid to clean the rim bed...

It is those marginal gains. Shave a little carbon here, shave a little there...

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front wheel drive is still in development for team Sky...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My understanding is despite it being a TTT, he'll need to finish the stage to stay in the race.

He'll lose a HUGE amount of time on the stage, but for the domestiques on the team, they don't really care that much about what their GC time/place is - they are there to help designated team leaders in the GC or in other jersey competitions.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot imagine hitting a pothole would cause such catastrophic failure like that. I have never seen a wheel come apart like that before.
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that normal skinsuit gives much protection, but wow, the mesh on the back of those sky kits really leaves a lot of skin on the road...
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

My understanding is despite it being a TTT, he'll need to finish the stage to stay in the race.

He'll lose a HUGE amount of time on the stage, but for the domestiques on the team, they don't really care that much about what their GC time/place is - they are there to help designated team leaders in the GC or in other jersey competitions.

Sorry, forgot to add /sarcasm. I suppose pink would work as well.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
MTBSully wrote:

If it had been a disc brake wheel too, who knows what carnage might have ensued.

Cheap Chinese carbon wheels will do that. Oh wait!

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

Just saw that on Cycling Weekly.. Shimano rep apparently took all 3 wheels away with him for analysis (and Shimano made the same point about other teams).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day, the original version of the Spinergy wheels used to do that with alarming regularity. I personally saw it happen to two people. 1. an ITU race in Auckland NZ in about 1997 or 1998. A pro turned a 90 deg right turn onto a street and the hub completely disengaged from the multiple flat spokes and the guy crashed heavily. 2. a buddy riding down a long fast straight hill. doing about 80kph the same thing happened as the road flattened out. Carnage!

After that Spinergy added some rivets at the hub/spoke connection and I didn't hear any more about it.

The wheel manufacturer needs to remember that to finish first, you must first finish.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back around '95, I saw one of the old Specialized/Dupont trispokes explode like that for no apparent reason...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:

It is simple really. The wheels were not engineered to withstand the use of motors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he didn't tweet his support for Brailsford vociferously enough, hence the nefarious payback schemes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yup. And now there are people touting idiotic 2-spoke wheels......

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [crocked_knee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crocked_knee wrote:
Maybe he didn't tweet his support for Brailsford vociferously enough, hence the nefarious payback schemes...

If this is the case then Froome's whole bike is going to explode.

I was going to say that this was sort of a good metaphor for the trajectory of Sky's anti-doping credibility of late.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that looks like a while third of the rim between spokes just went into orbit. Joining one of those spokes to what should be a pretty solid rim must really compromise it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flat tyre allowing rim to roll along the ground?

That would cause a carbon rim failure in a short time. Happens on smooth wooden velodromes sometimes.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny thing is that the spare bike had a HED 3 spoke on the front!
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Flat tyre allowing rim to roll along the ground?

That would cause a carbon rim failure in a short time. Happens on smooth wooden velodromes sometimes.

I thought it looked like the tubulars came Off first, but hard to tell.
Quote Reply
Re: Randomly disentegrating wheel at the Tirreno [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it looked like something flew straight left out of the wheel before it collapsed
Quote Reply

Prev Next