Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ramseur Lake Triathlon Review
Quote | Reply
Thought I would post a quick review about this race, because when I was trying to research it on here I couldn't find anything. This was my first Olympic tri, a warm up for me for Beach 2 Battleship Half at the end of October. I signed up in June or July knowing very little about the race. Heading into the race the biggest question I had was what the water temperature would be on race day. I tried emailing and tweeting the organizers but heard nothing until we received a mass email early last week. I think they said they water temperature was 74 or 75, either way good for me since I don't own a wetsuit.

Race Morning:
Left for Ramseur from Raleigh around 5AM, pretty easy drive out there, no real way to get lost. Parked at the "old mill off Patterson Grove Road" since it seemed easiest. I was actually the first car in the parking lot so I was hoping I was in the right spot. Unloaded everything and hiked over to transition/registration. Line was about 2 people long for packet pick up so no issues there either. Walked to transition and heard it was "open racking" another first for me, I just found and open spot and threw my bike up. I also realized that this would be the smallest race I've ever done. At the pre race "meeting" RD mentioned that there were about 70 people doing the triathlon. He gave us an updated water temperature of 72 degrees. I looked around and I would say about half the people were in wetsuits so I felt ok.

Swim:
The water felt great, two laps around the course, a little cluster to start even with only 70 people but that cleared up pretty quickly obviously. Definitely kept the HR up, running up the boat ramp to transition. Came in slower than expected but no good explanation other than I'm not as fast as I think I am.

Bike:
Rolling hills through the course, which was basically an out and back. Clean course, well marked. Didn't see many other people most of the ride, which again didn't come as a surprise. Intersections well staffed and no issues with cars or traffic. It was a nice ride.

Run:
A pretty basic two loop run course, a section on a shaded greenway type trail, was a little more populated that the swim or the bike course (shared with duathletes as well)

Post Race:
Plenty of food and drink after the race. We hung out by the lake for a bit before heading back to Raleigh. Only small issue was posting the results, which didn't affect me much since I am a MOP but I was curious to see how I wound up.

Overall good race that I hope gets bigger (though probably not much) and definitely worth checking out!
Quote Reply