Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes
Quote | Reply
Have ya ever thought you lived in an area where the motorists hate cyclists? Be thankful this radio station isnt in your town.....read on

http://www.trianglemtb.com/index.html#g105sucks
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I encourage all to blast the station. I have not lived in that area for a while, but generally considered it a more cycle friendly area (especially Chapel Hill, Duke and Cary) than much of the rest of our state. FYI-it is also the home of Inside Out Sports. Truly disgusting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately (because of this incident), I do live in this town. I did not personally hear the broadcasts, but they were aired on the 9/22-9/23 broadcasts of the Bob and Madison Showgram on G105 (105.1FM). Allegedly, the Showgram personalities and multiple on-air callers encouraged harrassment and physical assault of cyclists by motorists and pedestrians. G105 is a ClearChannel station and I also understand that 2 other clear channel (in Texas and Ohio or Illinois) affiliates have had similar troubles with airing anti-cyclist sentiments. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area in the G105 broadcast area has a lot of cycling activity and the town of Cary was even named a Bicycle-Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists. I was excited to hear that news, and now disheartened to hear this latest. Has anyone heard how other cities have dealt with this kind of irresponsible and harmful publicity? We already have members of the North Carolina Coalition for Bicycle Driving and North Carolina Bicycle Club looking in to matters. Hopefully that will do some good.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [carchaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in California and what we do here is something called "Critical Mass." It's were you get all, and I mean ALL, of your cycling friends and acquaintances to bring their bikes and converge somewhere in town where it's very busy during evening rush hour and bring the traffic to a standstill while riding their bikes. The problems occur when the cyclists go from being civil disobedients to uncivil combatants. Then the whole thing loses meaning, but if you can keep it civil you will have a platform to state your case to the media when they show because of your press release.

Let us know what happens.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: I'm in California and what we do here is something called "Critical Mass."

----------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how "citical mass" is in cities other than San Francisco, but I think that in the SF bay area critical mass is a big reason why drivers HATE cyclists. The original intent was probably good and all, but this event has turned into a massive public niusance and is generally very bad PR for cyclists. "Hey, let's bring visibility to the cause of cyclists' rights by clogging traffic, being rude to drivers, littering, vandalizing, disobeying traffic laws and police, and just generally acting exactly like those drivers we're protesting against." Yeah, that makes sense. I think cyclists' rights would be much better served if critical mass would go away- at least in San Francisco. In general, though, I have to admit that riding in the SF bay area sounds like it's much safer than other areas of the country.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [carchaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the Triangle area as well, and aside from not listening to the station and not supporting its advertisers I, and others, have written to our congressmen to encourage them to oppose the movement to allow Clear Channel to own more stations in a given market. This is one forum were we can make an impact on a multi million dollar company. I encourage anyone to write to their congressman and pass on their feelings.

On another front the broadcast may have been bad enough to leave them open to legal action if, god forbid, someone does get hit.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [Richard R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I find this unbelievable. I can't believe that if these guys were actually encouraging people to injure cyclists, that they haven't been charged with at least a misdemeanor crime. Surely there's a tape of the show somewhere that the authorities could use as evidence. Speaking of which, I would love to hear exactly what was said on this show. Anyone know of the existence of a RealMedia or WindowsMedia copy available on the Internet?

Steve

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed the sponsors and they tried to sell me a car.
Should I buy?. I could then use it to run motorists off the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [grumpyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you buy the largest pick-up truck you can get (bonus points if it's a dually (pronounced dooley, for those of you not from the south. FYI, a dually has the double tires on the back)), hang a Confederate flag from the back window, add a gun rack, and a bumper sticker that says "The South shall rise again!" Then, you;ll have your bike-rammin' machine properly outfitted ready to "whup some ayass!"

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should I get a snow plow as well?. I could push a lot o' sheet metal with that!.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [grumpyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea. Hadn't thought of that. We don't get much snow in Texas.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to email the FCC Commissioners:

Chairman Michael K. Powell: mpowell@fcc.gov
Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy: kabernat@fcc.gov
Commissioner Michael J. Copps: mcopps@fcc.gov
Commissioner Kevin J. Martin: kjmweb@fcc.gov
Commissioner Jonathan S. Adelstein: jadelste@fcc.gov

to lodge a complaint with the FCC's Investigations and Hearing Divsion

FCC attn: Investigations and Hearing Divsion
445 12th Street South West
Washington DC 20554
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm in California and what we do here is something called "Critical Mass." It's were you get all, and I mean ALL, of your cycling friends and acquaintances to bring their bikes and converge somewhere in town where it's very busy during evening rush hour and bring the traffic to a standstill while riding their bikes. The problems occur when the cyclists go from being civil disobedients to uncivil combatants. Then the whole thing loses meaning, but if you can keep it civil you will have a platform to state your case to the media when they show because of your press release.

Let us know what happens.
Critical Mass is a bunch of idiots who do NOTHING good for cycling...that is the same mentality as the idiots out there who like to riot and burn down their own neighborhoods....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, according to the FCC website, obscenity is illegal:

Obscene speech is not protected by the First Amendment and cannot be broadcast at any time. To be obscene, material must meet a three-prong test: (1) an average person, applying contemporary community standards, must find that the material, as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest; (2) the material must depict or describe, in a patently offensive way, sexual conduct specifically defined by applicable law; and (3) the material, taken as a whole, must lack serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. See Miller v. California, 413 U.S. 15 (1973).

Propogating a hoax is illegal:

The Commission's prohibition against the broadcast of hoaxes is set forth at Section 73.1217 of the Commission's rules, 47 C.F.R. § 73.1217.

This rule prohibits broadcast licensees or permittees from broadcasting false information concerning a crime or a catastrophe if: (1) the licensee knows this information is false; (2) it is foreseeable that broadcast of the information will cause substantial public harm; and (3) broadcast of the information does in fact directly cause substantial public harm.

Any programming accompanied by a disclaimer will be presumed not to pose foreseeable harm if the disclaimer clearly characterizes the program as a fiction and is presented in a way that is reasonable under the circumstances.

For purposes of this rule, ``public harm'' must begin immediately, and cause direct and actual damage to property or to the health or safety of the general public, or diversion of law enforcement or other public health and safety authorities from their duties.

The public harm will be deemed foreseeable if the licensee could expect with a significant degree of certainty that public harm would occur.

A ``crime'' is any act or omission that makes the offender subject to criminal punishment by law.

A ``catastrophe'' is a disaster or imminent disaster involving a violent or sudden event affecting the public.

Complaints alleging violation of this rule should be sent to the Federal Communications Commission, Enforcement Bureau, Investigations & Hearings Division, 445 12th Street, SW, Washington, D.C. 20554. Complaints should include the call sign and community of license of the station, the date and time of the broadcast(s) in question, and a detailed description of the public harm caused as a result of the broadcast. In addition, if possible, complaints should include a transcript or recording of the broadcast in question.

But for some reason, there is no provision against advocating bodily harm against others. Amazing that in a country where you can't say "bomb" in an airport, where you can't "joke" about terrorism, where 3rd graders are expelled for sexual harassment, and in some states where you can't talk on a cell phone while driving, that advocating killing or maiming people for riding bikes is allowed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This does illustrate one of the biggest problems in Media today and one of the biggest threats to a free society - that is Media ownership. Clear Channel Communications now owns something like 1200 radio stations. Further proposed media derugulation will make this even worse. You really can't "hurt" them by a few calls, etc. The number of "portals" of "free media" is becoming low in number and therefore has greater control over society. Now, that is scarey!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RE: Critical Mass.

I've never participated in a "Critical Mass" event, but I understand the reasoning behind it. They are pissed about lack of respect by drivers as are the people who've responded to this post. I agree that they have an opposite effect. So that being said in regard to those who think Critical Mass is a bunch of Idiots, what do you propose??? Between Critical Mass and Bicycle Advocacy(the wheels of justice turn SLOWLY) what do we have left/available that can help us? If the cops don't care, what do we have other than being able to rant on slowtwitch? Come on people, let's figure this out. We need a strong cycling lobby and/or political action committee(PAC) that can propose legislation to get laws on the books to prosecute these motor vechicle offenders. Who's got connections? anybody?

We could start our own if we just took some of that ugrade money and donated it. I'm not offering to head/run it. I'm the idea guy. someone else can run the show.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think advocating violence is against federal and state law which clearly supercede the rules of the FCC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Critical Mass does little to nothing in terms of promoting cycling issues, and more likely, the opposite. I commute via bike into the city 3-4 days a week and have encountered my share of motorist not familiar with the concept of sharing the road. I have also been stuck in the middle of a critical mess and thanks to the many idiots in the mix have wanted to drive my bike rack equiped Tahoe-bound SUV over the top of some of them. And I'm a cyclist Think of your non-cycling motorist just trying to get home on a Friday night. To stand in front of a car and taunt them does not get the driver thinking they should vote for a more bike friendly city. Rather they are probably thinking need more cops to keep the roads clear and maybe an abulance to peel this jerk off the windshield.

Give your time and money to the SF Bicycle Coalition, they are a group of people doing great work in advancing the cause for cyclist in San Francisco.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[snip]

This same thing happened in houston recently. from roadbikerider.com, here is the outcome:

"Within days, Clear Channel execs promised to donate air time, money and other support to local cycling causes. Company reps even attended a ribbon-cutting ceremony to open a Cleveland bike path.

"The DJs were ordered to apologize publicly. Too bad they weren't made to ride to work for a month.

"UPDATE: Within a week of complaints by Frank Karbarz and other Houston cyclists, Clear Channel issued an apology and made a donation to the city's bike advocacy programs. The DJs were reprimanded and they apologized on air. The program’s producer was fired."

i have every reason to assume that clear channel will handle the cleveland and raleigh situations in a similar fashion. i've spoken to the assistant of the CFO earlier today and am expecting a call back to see what's going to happen in these two cities, and obviously with respect to the DJs in the other 1200-odd stations they own (it's apparent clear channel needs to preempt any future funny morning shows of this sort).

i'll report back.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [Richard R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did a quick search through North Carolina's state criminal law, and couldn't find anything clearly on point. There are provisions agains inciting a riot... but that requires three or more people to actually get together and cause violence. Nothing in the assault or battery laws seems to cover this.

Too bad. I'll bet these stupid deejays would think twice about making such stupid remarks just to get laughs from a (mostly) ignorant public if they knew there might be severe consequences for doing so.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steveperx: Regarding NC law, I just received a copy of the following, written by a highway patrolman.

>-----Original Message-----

>From: Kevin Bray [mailto:krbray@hotmail.com]

>Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 1:08 AM

>To: chrisshebel@clearchannel.com; chrisedge@g105.com;

>Chase@clearchannel.com; ericsmith@clearchannel.com;

>towen@triangleradio.com

>Cc: dinges@mindspring.com; Dinges, Sean F

>Subject: The Bob and Madison Morning Show

>Dear Sirs:

>It has come to my attention that employees of your radio station are airing

>comments that encourage motorists to intentionally run cyclists off the

>road. I find this especially disturbing, both as a cyclist and a North

>Carolina State Trooper. Highway safety issues are foremost in my mind,

>especially when I am riding my bicycle on the road.

>

>I think you should know that your employees are using the airwaves to

>instruct the motoring public to commit, at the least, a Class E felony by

>violating North Carolina General Statute 14-32, Assault with a Deadly Weapon

>Inflicting Serious Injury. A car can be considered a deadly weapon in a

>situation where a person/motorist has intentionally struck a cyclist, as

>suggested on "The Bob and Madison Morning Show". If it can be shown that

>the motorist followed the instructions supplied by your station and did so

>with the intent to kill (a likely result) the offense rises to a Class C

>felony. Should the motorist be killed, the charge would be, at a minimum,

>Manslaughter. For clarification on this issue, perhaps you could contact a

>District Attorney's office in your area.

>

>You should also know that, tomorrow, I will be contacting whichever arm of

>the Federal Communications Commission is responsible for overseeing

>licensees such as your station. I don't know much about radio broadcasting,

>but I have enough sense to know that these acts are either illegal or

>contrary to the code of ethics you should be bound by when the FCC allows

>you to go on the air.

>

>- Kevin R. Bray
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh radio station promotes cars hitting bikes [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I saw that section. Unfortunately, looking at NCGS 14-32, it would appear that nothing can be done to the radio station or deejays unless and until:
  1. someone actually hits a motorist intentionally, and
  2. it can be shown that they were following the instruction of the deejays on the radio show.

At that point, I'd say the deejays and/or station are looking at assault and/or potential manslaughter pr murder charges stemming from being an accessory to the crime.

What irks me is that there appears to be no law (at least no state law in North Carolina) preventing this type of inciteful conduct from occurring.

-->Steve

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm moving to a less populated area of the country...from Charlotte, to Aiken, SC. I got in one bike ride this past week in Aiken at rush hour...had three or four cars pass me on the way through town (speed limit is 20-25), so I was going as fast as the cars anyway, and on a highway with a 55 mph speed limit, I only had 10-15 cars pass me in 30 minutes...EVERY ONE of them slowed, pulled out to go around me. I even had a couple of people wave their hands at me...with ALL 5 digits extended, accompanied by what appeared to be upside-down frowns! It took me a minute to figure out what was going on...they were actually being friendly and courteous, something I wasn't used to seeing. I hope the hyperalertness gained from cycling around Charlotte will serve me well in Aiken, because all it takes is one car to kill you, even if almost all of the drivers are more courteous.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Just did a quick search through North Carolina's state criminal law, and couldn't find anything clearly on point."

maybe they're not doing anything that would result in a prosecution at the moment. but imagine you were a deejay, and knew that IF someone actually DID go out and hit a cyclist on purpose. then you COULD be held responsible criminally. and imagine you're a clear channel executive, you knew about the problems with your deejays, and did not do enough to halt the behavior.

personally, as a former executive of a public company, i shuddered at the thought that something i did or didn't do could result in a criminal prosecution. don't think executives at clear channel haven't thought along those lines. then there's also the civil suits, but that's nothing compared to the criminal suits.

so they're not off the hook because you can't prosecute them now. they've still got the sword of damocles perched above their heads, and don't think they don't know it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next