Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raleigh 70.3 relay question
Quote | Reply
I won't make it this year since it is 04Jun and it's less than a month out, but I'm looking to do the relay next year.

My wife is a runner and I'm a cyclist. She has many options for races throughout the year. My options in any timed event seem to feel much more competitive than I'd like. I'd rather not enter into Cat 4 road races and wreck my bike or something. The fundraisers are just finish/DNF mostly. The bike leg of an Ironman seems ideal.

She can easily do the 1/2 marathon in about 2:10. I've done a few metric centuries locally with more elevation than the 1/2 IM course without TT bars in pretty decent times. I'm already trained to more than the 56mi. I do close to a 50mi or metric century ride weekly.

The question is, what are my chances of finding someone to take on the swim leg? Runners abound, but not swimmers. It seems the swimmers go ahead and go solo the whole thing.

Myself, I don't feel like paying $50+ a month just for pool access. I have a nice and free gym at work with a very nice trainer with powermeter.

I just need to know if it is unrealistic to find only a swimmer, or if I should bite it and get a membership and take on the swim AND the bike myself.

Best regards, FWIW I'm a noob who hasn't done this before. So, be nice. :-)

FWIW, if for IM Raleigh someone wants a cyclist for the relay and aren't super fast or don't care of the pedigree of the rider.....I could do it 04JUN this year if you have a swimmer/runner.

If not, I have an entire year to get ready otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh 70.3 relay question [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't really that hard to find a swimmer. There are a lot of good swimmers out there that want to experience an IM-branded event, but aren't really into the bike or run. Posting into some of the local tri-groups and/or swim groups would likely yield good results. I was actually asked by a swimmer if I could pull together a relay-team for them a couple of years ago.
Quote Reply