Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing with Power Meter and Heart Rate Monitor
Quote | Reply
Sort of silly question but curious to hear the experience from others. Will be racing a 70.3 next week for the first time with a power meter (powertap P1 pedals) and heart rate monitor (standard garmin). When do you calibrate the power meter / pedals? Would I need to do it at the start of the bike (annoying because you have to be unclipped from the pedals to calibrate)? Or can you calibrate early in the morning before the swim (I am one of the last waves so it will be a considerable amount of time until I get back to transition, and probably a big rise in temperature).
And for the HRM, do people swim with the strap on underneath your tri suit and wetsuit and then just snap on the piece with the battery once you get to T1? Thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Power Meter and Heart Rate Monitor [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wahoowatri wrote:
Sort of silly question but curious to hear the experience from others. Will be racing a 70.3 next week for the first time with a power meter (powertap P1 pedals) and heart rate monitor (standard garmin). When do you calibrate the power meter / pedals? Would I need to do it at the start of the bike (annoying because you have to be unclipped from the pedals to calibrate)? Or can you calibrate early in the morning before the swim (I am one of the last waves so it will be a considerable amount of time until I get back to transition, and probably a big rise in temperature).
And for the HRM, do people swim with the strap on underneath your tri suit and wetsuit and then just snap on the piece with the battery once you get to T1? Thanks everyone!

I always zero my power meter before heading to the swim start. Whatever happens that might change it, well, it's just going to have to be that way.

As for the HRM, I don't know what you use, but my Garmin HRM is "waterproof" and I just wear the whole thing through the swim. There is no reason to remove the part with the transmitter.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Power Meter and Heart Rate Monitor [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have the standard garmin HRM (https://buy.garmin.com/...nitor/prod10996.html)
Did not realize it was waterproof. I knew it doesn't transmit heart rate data while swimming, but didn't know if it was actually waterproof. Makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Power Meter and Heart Rate Monitor [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, as mentioned, calibrate power before swim start and wear garmin HR monitor the whole race.

Just another bit of advice since you're new to power & HR, be prepared for your HR to be through the roof when you get on the bike. Don't let this freak you out. Just start hitting your targeted PWR and your HR will slowly drop throughout the ride. At first you probably won't think it will, but it will I promise. This is one of the big advantages of racing with power and not HR.

Here's my data from last Sunday's 70.3. There were a couple of short sporty climbs right at the start so that's why it jumps around there.

Last edited by: jet black: Jun 29, 16 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Power Meter and Heart Rate Monitor [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice, thank you. Appreciate sharing your data. Nice split.
Quote Reply