Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing shoes for large feet
Quote | Reply
Seems like an annual post for me, but I figure the offerings change every year...

I need to replace my Nike Zoom XC racing flat. I wear a size 15, which limits what I can get (no Saucony A6 for example). I found a Zoom Streak XC 3 on Road Runner, but I figured I might ask about a few others. So far searching Road Runner and Running Warehouse I've found the following lightweight flat-ish shoes in 15s:

Nike Zoom Streak XC 3
Nike Zoom Streak LT 2
Nike Zoom Streak 5 (way too much heel for my tastes)
Brooks Mach 16 Spikeless
Asics Gel-DS Racer 10

I race sprints, Olympics, 5ks and the occasional 13.1. Any thoughts on these shoes, suggestions for others or suggestions on other websites to search?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shoes for large feet [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick bump for the day crowd

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Size 15 here also. Just picked up a pair of the Asics DS Racer 10's. Only one 5 mile training run in them thus far, but I sense they're going to do the trick for me. If not, then you gotta love Road Runner Sports and their no questions asked return policy.

What I'm trying to find is a Hoka like shoe that comes in a 15 (Hoka stops at size 14), for all the long training runs. If you have any suggestions there let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Brooks Mach Spikeless have only a thin layer of cushioning and are very lightweight. I have a pair I wear for xc wo's, but I wouldn't necessarily want to wear for a road race (although probably just enough to get by). I wear the Racer ST and love them (only size 13 though), and if you could ever find them in a 15, I would strongly recommend those.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shoes for large feet [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know - thanks for the feedback on the Brooks. I'm fairly lean for my height and have good enough mechanics, but I still might need a little more padding at 170.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shoes for large feet [Crocwrestler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crocwrestler wrote:

What I'm trying to find is a Hoka like shoe that comes in a 15 (Hoka stops at size 14), for all the long training runs. If you have any suggestions there let me know.

Hoka does have some models now available in size 15. Bond 4, Conquest 2, and Constants all have size 15 options, the Clifton does not yet.

Hoka One One - Field Service Rep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Altras. They run large so my size 16 feet fit in a size15.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shoes for large feet [mcrae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know! Hadn't looked at Altra yet.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little more feedback for you on the Asics now that I've spent some more time in them. I'm 6'4" and 180 so a little heavier than you, and I feel a 13.1 would be the max distance I'd race in these right now. Anything longer and I just need a little more cushion so my feet don't get completely trashed.

I over pronate a bit so am always concerned about how the toe box will hold up, and these have enough lateral support there to feel fine. As a comparison I raced in the Nike Free's a couple of years ago and always felt as though my foot was going to rip through the side of the toe box. The sizing is also spot on for me and the 15's fit perfect. I'll definitely be using them this season.

Thanks to Zach P for the tip on the Hoka's. Got a pair of size 15 Bondi 4's arriving in a few days to try out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome - good to hear. I pronate as well, so a little help is probably not bad. That's one of the reasons I enjoy the Saucony Mirage.

Are you Brad Beven? Wasn't his nickname The Croc? Or did you wrestle Brad Beven?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad's already in the Aussie Triathlon Hall of Fame. I'm still waiting for my acceptance letter to arrive.

If I did get the chance to wrestle him I'd bet the farm on me taking him down in the first round. I've obviously eaten a few more meat pies than him over the years so I could just sit on him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Size 15 as well. Major mileage shoe for me is Newton Momentus. Can't give you insight on racing flat, but for cushion shoe look at Saucony Triumph ISO 12. Has worked well on days when my legs need a rest. Dave Jewell's review http://endorphinfanatics.blogspot.com/...-triumph-iso-12.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crocwrestler wrote:

Thanks to Zach P for the tip on the Hoka's. Got a pair of size 15 Bondi 4's arriving in a few days to try out.

Glad to help!

Hoka One One - Field Service Rep
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shoes for large feet [ZackP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackP wrote:
Crocwrestler wrote:

Hoka does have some models now available in size 15. Bond 4, Conquest 2, and Constants all have size 15 options, the Clifton does not yet.

Which is annoying, because it's on their website. Any ETA on the Clifton?
Quote Reply