Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racing in a speedo.
Quote | Reply
For some stupid reason I've talked myself into this for a sprint tomorrow... Any tips? Running an ISM and planning on copious amounts of body glide.

Ideal placement of the boys? Let it ride up or try for maximum coverage of the thigh/sit bone area?
Last edited by: owen.: Aug 8, 15 19:58
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are running an ism you should be right, a little body glide on the tackle especially the under carridge and its all good, I have raced in Budgy smugglers for years and have actually found them better than tri pants. The freedom while you are running is amazing hahaha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
For some stupid reason I've talked myself into this for a sprint tomorrow... Any tips? Running an ISM and planning on copious amounts of body glide.
Ideal placement of the boys? Let it ride up or try for maximum coverage of the thigh/sit bone area?

I have fairly thin legs so i've never had any issues, and i don't even bother with any body glide or petrol jelly on my thighs. You may find this hard to believe but i've actually done 2 iron races in just a Speedo. That's what everyone raced in when i started, so i've just stuck with it. I wear bike shorts when i ride outside but mostly just due to peer pressure:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please... just don't. I'm already going to be a wheezing, phlegm covered mess when you blow past me on the bike... no need to add insult to injury!

Just having my traditional pre-race beer and trying to find my wetsuit! See you tomorrow!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah, triathletes take themselves (very applicable to me) far too seriously, might as well have some fun with it and torment my wife while I'm at it. I just barely got into my wetsuit today... so I'll be the fat kid in a speedo.

Three for a PB is the Slowtwitch motto right? I'm sure going to enjoy drinking your beer in that new beer glass ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although, blowing up on the run is still a very likely scenario... Two easy 4k runs and my shin splints are back with a vengeance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I've had two, so what's a third at this point! :)

I'm not going to psych myself out anymore by attempting to get in to my wetsuit tonight. Haven't worn it since whistler last year! Should be interesting. This is going to be such a gong show!

Sucks to hear about your shin splints. Incredible that they came back so fast. You know, there's no shame in walking the whole five k. Can't be too careful. Don't let your pride (and love of beer) cloud your judgement. Convincing you to walk is probably my only shot at beating you!

See you in the am! And thanks for the friendly bet, it has actually felt really good to get out and work hard again, even if only for a few days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and you may in a speedo, but I dug up a leopard print trucker hat from my fiance's stagette, so I'll be rocking that on the run :).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Oh, and you may in a speedo, but I dug up a leopard print trucker hat from my fiance's stagette, so I'll be rocking that on the run :).

Ha, that's nothing - my HS swimming team had leopard print Speedos (LPS) my last 2 yrs. We were way ahead of the current leopard print craze. Just for the record, i have not raced in the LPS but, if i should ever happen to find it, i just might:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thigh contact? Shave close, lube copiously. I got talked into doing an Oly in Speedos and the chafing was horrible.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first sprint in a drag suit.

You'll be fine.

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It went well... was comfy as could be.

I actually think my TT bike ate a smaller chunk of skin than usual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn't happen!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced 15+ halfs and 9 IMs in a speed with zero issues. Never used body glide or lube at all. I might just have small balls though.

You'll be good to go. Go represent in style.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here is a link to the pictures of 'Macho Man' #1607 at Ironman Boulder:

http://www.finisherpix.com/...-2015/pbib/1607.html

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be one of the few who dares to race triathlons as intended. When people ask you why its important not to answer "because i'm hawt" even though thats the real reason, you need to say that you honor the roots of triathlon.

Me in club champs:

Not uber excited for the swim in the chilly 60-61F (16-17C) water...

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Ha, that's nothing - my HS swimming team had leopard print Speedos (LPS) my last 2 yrs. We were way ahead of the current leopard print craze. Just for the record, i have not raced in the LPS but, if i should ever happen to find it, i just might:)

Ha,ha. My senior year we picked pink jungle stripe speedos for our team suits. School colors were green and gold, but that didn't seem like nearly as much fun. That suit is probably laying around somewhere. Problem is if I wore it to race in today I'd probably scar the spectators for life. It was a 26 and I'm, well, let's just say not a 26 anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered these:

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a number of races in this one:

For context: yes, I'm ginger...
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that I'm not the only person who has dreads and rocks a speedo!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [jagreen013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jagreen013 wrote:
Love that I'm not the only person who has dreads and rocks a speedo!

I need pics!

Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Here is a link to the pictures of 'Macho Man' #1607 at Ironman Boulder:
http://www.finisherpix.com/...-2015/pbib/1607.html .

Well, that totally does not count b/c he wore a wetsuit in a wettie-optional race plus he wore bike shorts on the bike. Wearing a Speedo for only the run is kinda stupid actually, if you didn't wear it on the other 2 parts of the race. He might as well have put on some running shorts but i guess he was trying to be ultra-macho. He missed some macho points IMO for not wearing the Speedo for the whole race, and definitely he lost a huge number for wearing a wetsuit in 78 degree water.

Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill have to get some during the coming up mini-marathon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I much, much preferred racing in a speedo as God intended rather than those dumb tri suits. But my high point was the time when I did the entire race in a speedo and didn't realize it was turned inside out. Couldn't understand initially why I was getting so many cheers at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in a speedo. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me in Ironman Kalmar:

"Omg there must have been a lot of chaffing!!"

Nope. Bodyglide between the legs for the run. No issue on the bike. Got loads of cheering. 10/10, would wear again.

Quote Reply

Prev Next