Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Racing in Elite Wave vs. Age Group Wave [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the top 3 were in the Elite wave. They are classified as overall or whatever it is in the results for purposes of awards (which are not duplicated). So the top 3 overall got awards for that and not for their elite AG position.

As for elite AG waves, it's just too bad more races don't offer it. I know that some races require proof of a certain time (like the Philadelphia Triathlon / Nations Tri used to / still do?) but it would be awesome to see WTC do something like this. I know that's not an original idea but waiting around for an hour or more to see how you did in the overall arguably takes something away from it and the competition itself suffers. But I'm not holding my breath. I'll gladly take those rolling starts for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Elite Wave vs. Age Group Wave [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
So - how did it go?

I train with a group, and talked with the group coach. He seemed to think I would have a better experience in the elite wave so I planned on doing that UNTIL race morning. A small craft advisory caused them to shorten the swim. I wanted to do elite to have a clean field ahead in hopes of putting up the best time possible for a 70.3 PR, but seeing as the swim was shortened, I felt like I could no longer really PR so I decided to change to the AG wave that morning and compete for an AG award.

The bike was interesting making my way through the field. A lot of people are truly clueless out there, like riding hugging the yellow center line with no one around them. This puts you in a precarious situation when you are approaching them going 10 mph faster then them. You don't wanna pass on the right and you don't wanna go over the center line. There were also a lot of wild cards that would be riding right, but would make sudden movements into the center or left side of the lane for no reason. There were not a ton of people riding three across, but a few groups. In the end it was not too bad and I perfected my "On your left" call and my whistling technique in cases where I really needed their attention, haha.

I donno if I would have ridden a faster bike split in the elite wave or not. There were a couple of places where the crowd caused me to slow down a bit but it wasn't terrible. I did try to legally take advantage of the people I was passing when it was safe to get a little draft effect so that helped. I did make a questionable turn as I was passing around someone and veered into a pothole causing a pinch flat. That flat was avoidable and I learned a good lesson, but I probably would not have done that if I was not fighting through people. I actually learned a few good lessons in this race, and seeing as it was a B race, it was a great place to make a couple mistakes to learn from.
Quote Reply

Prev Next