Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing flats
Quote | Reply
Have been using the Adidas Adizero Adios 3 as the racing flat (with Lock Laces, sockless) for draft-legal sprint races. But I have found them to be a little hard to put on in T2; not sure the exact reason, but could be because the position of the loop on the tongue is quite low. Daily training shoes are Saucony Kinvara and Zealot.

Looking for some suggestions in racing flats (neutral) that are easy for fast T2 in barefoot.
Last edited by: dalava: Mar 20, 17 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: Racing flats [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just recommended them in Dev's thread above but if you like the Kinvaras as daily trainers, have a look at the Type A racing flats. I find them exceptionally comfortable sockless, easy to put on and tick all my boxes for a racing flat.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually hate Nikes, but I picked up a pair of Lunaracer +3s for $39 on a whim at my local Nike outlet. They are fantastic. Similar to you, I also typically use the adios boost for races, but I didn't find them comfortable at all without socks. These Nikes are a sock-type upper and don't have many (if any) seams.

I usually like to train in cushioned type flats as well, and I've done a few runs in these so far up to 10k with pickups in the low 5'/mile range and they've got plenty of cushion and the ability to go fast.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Racing flats [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... that's intriguing. I will definitely check them out. Like you, I am not a Nike guy, but from what you describe, it might be the right shoes for short sockless races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics Hyper Tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't a Nike guy either, but came across the Nike Streak LT 3 last year. Probably the best flat I've tried sockless. I came from using the Brooks T7 and the Saucony Fastwitch, both of which I really liked but couldn't run anything over 10K in them sockless. Even 10K was pushing it. But with socks I could race either up to half-marathon no problem, have tired the LT 3 beyond 10K, not sure there's enough support and cushion for my old back to handle.

I haven't tried the new Brooks Hyperion yet (replaced the T7). I've handled it jut haven't run in it.......yet.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Have been using the Adidas Adizero Adios 3 as the racing flat (with Lock Laces, sockless) for draft-legal sprint races. But I have found them to be a little hard to put on in T2; not sure the exact reason, but could be because the position of the loop on the tongue is quite low. Daily training shoes are Saucony Kinvara and Zealot.

Looking for some suggestions in racing flats (neutral) that are easy for fast T2 in barefoot.

Just rub some TriGlide/Lube around the rim of the runner. I have done this at every race and the added lubrication allows my feet to slip right in and the elastic laces keep them in place during the run. It's likley only 5-7K anyway so they will hold up for the duration.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Nike LunaRacer. I've used both the originals and the 3's and love them. If you are able, try them on ahead of time. They run small and will likely require you to go up 1/2 to a full size.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing flats [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abrown wrote:
I usually hate Nikes, but I picked up a pair of Lunaracer +3s for $39 on a whim at my local Nike outlet. They are fantastic. Similar to you, I also typically use the adios boost for races, but I didn't find them comfortable at all without socks. These Nikes are a sock-type upper and don't have many (if any) seams.

I usually like to train in cushioned type flats as well, and I've done a few runs in these so far up to 10k with pickups in the low 5'/mile range and they've got plenty of cushion and the ability to go fast.

Yep I have the Lunaracer 3+ and use them for everything sprint to 70.3 distance. My only issue is when I run 5k sockless in a sprint I get a blister on the arch of my right foot, every time.

I was actually thinking about trying the Adidas takumi sen 3 as my racing flats
Quote Reply
Re: Racing flats [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Asics Hyper Tri

Just had to send a pair back. Did you have issues with a smaller toe box? I've run in the same sized Asics for years (gel excell, hyperspeed 6, noosa fast 1 and 2, piranha, gel cumulus, etc). I really wanted to love the hyper tri, but weirdly they didn't fit my foot. Waiting for my running warehouse exchange to go through so I can try a size up.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing flats [tkeds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the new sub 8 oz. (sz 9) DS Trainer. It has the ability to be used as a racing flat plus the added stability factor. Looks to be a really new half to full IM shoe. I've used the entire Adios racer line & I'm looking forward to the DS Trainer 22 as my next shoe. However, if it just fits bad--I'll be resorting to the most recently used Clifton 3 (or 4 when it comes out).
Quote Reply
Re: Racing flats [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Check out the new sub 8 oz. (sz 9) DS Trainer. It has the ability to be used as a racing flat plus the added stability factor. Looks to be a really new half to full IM shoe. I've used the entire Adios racer line & I'm looking forward to the DS Trainer 22 as my next shoe. However, if it just fits bad--I'll be resorting to the most recently used Clifton 3 (or 4 when it comes out).

So it has more cushioning than something like the Hyper tri/Hyperspeed?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing flats [tkeds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkeds wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Asics Hyper Tri

Just had to send a pair back. Did you have issues with a smaller toe box? I've run in the same sized Asics for years (gel excell, hyperspeed 6, noosa fast 1 and 2, piranha, gel cumulus, etc). I really wanted to love the hyper tri, but weirdly they didn't fit my foot. Waiting for my running warehouse exchange to go through so I can try a size up.

I don't have a problem with the toe box, it's probably from all the years I've crammed my foot into speed and hockey skates.

I'm pretty sure it's nearly the same shoe as the hyperspeed but I've not worn that shoe. The Cumulus is massively wide for my foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might like Brooks Pureflow. I run in the Purecadence (same shoe with a bit of stability support) and love them - 4mm drop, decent cushioning, pretty light.

Also, see the thread I'm about to post for the run repeat shoe finder thingy. Lot of threads lately along the lines of "find me a shoe with x heel drop, y weight, z other feature" etc and I found this page really useful. Be posting it in a few minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing flats [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
though I don't have much experience on the racing flats department, I do enjoy my new balance hanzo S shoes! very responsive and just the right amount of cushioning for 5k and 10k... the toe box is a bit tight for ME but for the record I have wide feet and if you have mornal or narrow feet this would be a great addition or at could be considered!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply