Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much?
Quote | Reply
Just did my first 70.3 this past weekend at Chatt and I am hooked. This is my first year at doing long distance and I wanted to make sure I did not over do it. After racing Chatt 70.3, I want to race either Racine or Munice 70.3 in July before I head off to Louisville for my full in Oct.

I was told I might be doing too much from I guy I met this past weekend but I feel like it would be good for my overall training.... Am I wrong?

Also, has anyone raced either of these? What do you think about the two and what do you prefer?

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [sabotony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two 70.3s before a full is definitely not too much with that spacing unless you lack the training depth to recover. I have already done two this year and have two more long course races before Louisville. I've done Muncie twice and suggest that...very well organized. I have not done Racine but read frequent negative comments about water conditions and road quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will depend on how long you need to recover from a 70.3...

It may be too much if you get injured easily...
It may be great if you have an appetite for racing and need it to get prepared for a bigger race (my case)...
etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for the help. I thinkI will sign up for another one! I Def got the bug for them!

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would choose only one of those.

Since I've done both of them I would choose Racine.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why racine over Muncie if you don't mind me asking

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the swim at Racine better
The bike courses are IMO equal
The run at Racine is nicer with a bit of shade. Racine was a double out and back when I did it while Muncie is a single out and back.

Racine's weather is a bit milder in the middle of the summer too.

Both races are well run and are of the same difficulty

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I RD Muncie as well as Chatt. Racine is also a great race. Can't go wrong with either. Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go with Racine. My research into Muncie does not yield positive results. The water looks really dirty and mucky. The water temperature was about 85 to 87 degrees recently. People were having hydration issues on the swim. I know a guy who did it a few years ago and a huge storm rolled in on the swim. During the swim he noticed rampant lighting and had to blow through his swim to get out of the water. It gave him a scare and fortunately a good story. As well, the air temperature was around 110 degrees just a couple years ago. It is notoriously hot on the course. Some people like these race conditions, but I've crossed it off the list permanently. Mid-July in Indiana doesn't scream great race conditions for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, my recommendation is getting trammeled!

Again, I have read bad things about the road quality at Racine including current reports. But here's a comment from a 2010 RR that sums it up: "I don't think I'd do this race again, though - the course really blows. The bike especially. The road quality is for crap - bad pavement, and the course spends way too much time on narrow portions of the highway." http://talesfromthemidpack.blogspot.com/...703-race-report.html

As to the swim - I've only heard about how bad the 2013 water conditions were at Racine. Read about it this RR (along with more comments on the bad roads): http://tootallfritz.com/...ne-2013-race-report/

Note that I recommended Muncie for outstanding race organization. I've done it twice including the year (2012) it was truncated due to extreme heat...so yeah, I know from personal experience that Muncie can be a cooker. Weatherwise, it could go either way for which race is best in any given year...sometimes it's just a crap shoot and you get what you get. So I would recommend choosing based on other criteria...like perhaps which is closer and fits your schedule better.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by rdm [ In reply to ]
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Man, my recommendation is getting trammeled!

Again, I have read bad things about the road quality at Racine including current reports. But here's a comment from a 2010 RR that sums it up: "I don't think I'd do this race again, though - the course really blows. The bike especially. The road quality is for crap - bad pavement, and the course spends way too much time on narrow portions of the highway." http://talesfromthemidpack.blogspot.com/...703-race-report.html

As to the swim - I've only heard about how bad the 2013 water conditions were at Racine. Read about it this RR (along with more comments on the bad roads): http://tootallfritz.com/...ne-2013-race-report/

Note that I recommended Muncie for outstanding race organization. I've done it twice including the year (2012) it was truncated due to extreme heat...so yeah, I know from personal experience that Muncie can be a cooker. Weatherwise, it could go either way for which race is best in any given year...sometimes it's just a crap shoot and you get what you get. So I would recommend choosing based on other criteria...like perhaps which is closer and fits your schedule better.

many of the road sections have been repaved since 2010, so that report isn't very up to date. That said, there are definitely a few rough sections (frost heaves mostly) that can be annoying when on aerobars. Unfortunately, the worst of those sections is the main road coming back to T2....so that is what sticks in people's memories.

Swim was definitely tough in 2013, but pristine in 2012 and 2014. I am talking about "pane of glass" flat with great visibility (although a bit chilly last year).

Haven't done Muncie, but the rap against the roads in Racine is really overblown, IMO.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [rdm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rdm wrote:
You've done a ½. You'd be better off training for your full IMHO.

How is doing another half not training for a full?
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half is too short. A 56 mile bike cannot serve as a replacement for 4 to 5 hrs training rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be at both Muncie and Racine this year. Both are GREAT races and you will not be disappointed doing either race. If fact, do both races and between them you can ride with me from Muncie to Racine! 340 miles - I start cycling on Sunday and arrive in Racine on Tuesday afternoon. Best part of the ride is the 45 miles of bike trails along Lake Michigan through Chicago. Plenty of time to rest before racing Racine on Sunday! Z
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where your information about Muncie comes from:

1. Water quality has been excellent for years and years. Never an issue. Not one poor report in my memory. Zero BG algae either.
2. Ave water temp has been in the sub 78 over the course of races since 1980. Not one race we host since 2010; America Multi-Sport, on the lake has been over that number.
3. Race temp. Except 2012; heat wave year, has been excellent racing conditions May, June, July with the exception of COLD in May
4. Thunder/Lightning...maybe 3 years since 1992...only once during the swim since 1980

Venue. Stellar
Community. Super Tri friendly
Bike course. Second to NONE
Run. Hard. It's a Triathlon...not lawn darts...

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Racine or Munice? Or am I doing too much? [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, talked me into it. I am doing Muncie. =)

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply