Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed - meant to reply to Dan.
And I agree: with the likelihood of a cancellation more common than not, why not just change the date of the race? Or delete it from the calendar. Or warn the hell out of everyone who enters - the disclaimers and waivers are endless as it is - what's one more of each?
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetsuits now are 5mm chest and 3mm back, I surf in 356 degree water for hours in the winter in a 4mm suit.

Slowman is correct, Its a different clientele

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently they measured all over the place on the actual swim course at 5am. Most readings were in the high 40's, the 51* was the warmest they found. No choice but to cancel

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Door County triathlon is held about 200 miles north on the same day and in Lake Michigan. However, on the Green Bay side (west) of Door County. The water temperature dropped 10f over night (58) two days before the event. It rose to the mid 60s on Sunday but there was 4 foot waves and and a strong current that a full swim impossible. I never heard from any of the participants that a shorten swim was the wrong call.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
This is WTC's rule since 2013:

Swim Temperature
  • Water temperature below 52 degrees Fahrenheit or above 88 degrees Fahrenheit will result in cancellation or shortening of the swim portion of the race

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz4n5VChAIn

I get the upper limit restriction, but for the lower limit, doesn't always make sense to me.

It would be nice to see them, when it was too cold, make it optional, but the people who elect to not swim can't compete for age groupawards or something like that. Just a thought..
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 swim cancelled [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so this year has been horrible, is IM softening? Isn't the whole idea of Ironman that conditions get tough? they also cancelled IM 70.3 Gulf Coast due to strong currents and riptides and shortened IM 70.3 Chattanooga due to a strong current (this one was absurd, they actually let the pros swim the whole course but shortened it for the AG)...

i was asking a friend who's been around for a while about swim cancellations at IMFL (since im doing it in November) and he told me "back in those days (2003-2004) they didn't cancelled swims.. a lot of people have talked about RD concerned on safety of weaker competitors, but what will happen if IM keeps seeing weaker and weaker people coming into it precisely because they are more and more lenient and willing to relax the rules and make it easier for the average unprepared "athlete"? i think IM should man up, its supposed to be tough!
Quote Reply

Prev Next