Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racine 70.3 Rolling Start
Quote | Reply
Just curious about this format. Racine will be my first WTC-sanctioned half, and just saw it's a rolling swim start. Will this likely be 3-5 people at a time being sent off?
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 Rolling Start [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This won't really be helpful, but the 2 times I've done it, 2014 & 15, it was an AG wave start. Last year the swim was cancelled IIRC due to weather and but I think it was supposed to still be an AG wave start. So I believe this will be the first year for a rolling start there. I'm signed up for steelhead in august and it appears it will be a rolling start for the first time as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt the time I did a rolling start it was the whole start/finish chute wide mass of people entering the water. It was a bit hectic for the first few hundred yards then was quite pleasant the rest of the way.

Basically the opposite of a wave start (unless you're lucky with an early wave), where you have clean water initially, but then have to swim through hordes of slow swimmers the rest of the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 Rolling Start [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm cool with that! I think I like that format better mentally. Standing on the beach for a category mass start always amped up my nerves!

Is it a "seed yourself" roll out? I really want to get out on the bike course with some fast people to have strong rabbits to chase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was seed yourself. I don't see how they could do it any differently honestly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. You seed yourself at the rolling start at Racine and Steelhead this year!
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 Rolling Start [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have corrals for estimated finish time like Santa Rosa I saw? Under 26, 27-30, etc.?

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 Rolling Start [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Signs with times will be held up in the swim start corrals. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same format at Choo 70.3. They do have folks with signs that attempt to seed you, but I know there were people who thought getting in the front of the line (even though they swim 2:50/100........and I'm not kidding) was a good strategy (even though your time doesn't start until you cross the mat and jump in).

I seeded myself in the correct place in line.......and had an OK swim (very little contact).

Good luck.

**Edit....we jumped off the dock in 2 steady lines.
Last edited by: nc452010: Jul 11, 17 2:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! That's what I figured but didn't see anything on the athlete guide or website. Is AG start at 7 or pro? Also, do you have a pro start list?! Looking forward to Sunday, and Steelhead next month!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rolling Swim Start at the 2017 Madison 70.3 in June.

At Madison 70,3 they announced a self-seeded start. It was up to each participant to position themselves in the group of choice. The first group was Under 27 minutes. Athletes lined up single file, crossed a time line and off they went. Second group was 30-33 minutes, third group was 33-35 minutes and so on. It resulted in a continuous line of athletes crossing the time line. I thought it went relatively well.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 Rolling Start [dmacst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp is 57.3 this morning! Bring you wetsuits! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard rumors of cutting corse short if too cold. What's the cutoff? Either way I'm excited to race Racine on a day when it's not 90 and humid!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Below 57 we go to a 750 meter swim. Below 53 the swim does not take place. At 57.3 we do the 1.2 mile swim. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Hopefully the wind brings some warm water!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Below 57 we go to a 750 meter swim. Below 53 the swim does not take place. At 57.3 we do the 1.2 mile swim. Z

I am hopeful the warmer weather today give the water temp a little bit more of boost. I am not the fastest guy in the water but I still want to respectfully warn my first 70.3 at the full distance. Not a shortened swim course asterisk next to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Is AG start at 7 or pro? Also, do you have a pro start list?!
Pro men gun at 7, women at 7:05, AG roller at 7:10.

Pro start lists: http://www.ironman.com/...ion/start-lists.aspx

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 Rolling Start [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! And I'll be instructing my dad to use your tracker for better results!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, use Ironman/RTRT

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. I'll let my followers know! Thanks!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51.5 water temp :-(

No swim. TT bike start.

Last edited by: sylvan: Jul 16, 17 3:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now it's time to play the waiting game...

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Good morning. The swim portion of IRONMAN 70.3 has been cancelled due to cold water. Water temperatures in the high 40's and low 50's were recorded this morning.

The pro men will commence at 7:20 with a time-trial start with men sent off every 30 seconds. Once all the men have started there will be a one minute break then the pro women will be sent off every 30 seconds.

The age group race will be a rolling start based on bib numbers.

Another advantage of AWA.
Quote Reply
Re: Racine 70.3 Rolling Start [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
Quote:
Good morning. The swim portion of IRONMAN 70.3 has been cancelled due to cold water. Water temperatures in the high 40's and low 50's were recorded this morning.

The pro men will commence at 7:20 with a time-trial start with men sent off every 30 seconds. Once all the men have started there will be a one minute break then the pro women will be sent off every 30 seconds.

The age group race will be a rolling start based on bib numbers.

Another advantage of AWA.

& this is the only reason I would pay for AWA. Is Racine now a Duathlon? With shit roads, why not do it on MTBs too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next weekend for lake placid where should we send family for the live tracking?

David

H & A Racing
Quote Reply

Prev Next