Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Races you wish you do again and do better
Quote | Reply
I was talking to friend about this and we talked about do-overs for races where you just know you could have done better. I would do Strawberry Fields again, because the last time I raced there I was well on my way to a great finish when a mechanical ended my day. I skipped the next year and it seems that the race folded the year after that, and appears to be dead and gone, so I'll never get that do-over, but it would have been nice to have tried.

What races do you wish you could go back and do again?

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Races you wish you do again and do better [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
I was talking to friend about this and we talked about do-overs for races where you just know you could have done better. I would do Strawberry Fields again, because the last time I raced there I was well on my way to a great finish when a mechanical ended my day. I skipped the next year and it seems that the race folded the year after that, and appears to be dead and gone, so I'll never get that do-over, but it would have been nice to have tried.

It may seem ridiculous but every race I have done. Hear me out.

Every race I do, as I believe all dedicated endurance athletes are, I am searching for that perfect race. Where everything goes well, you are firing on all cylinders, etc. It's very elusive and you only get so many perfect races in your life. Still looking to put one together. Every race to date there is always something that can be addressed for next go round. It's a moving target. That's one of the things I love about it.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could do NOLA 70.3 that was last weekend again. It was my first long course tri since getting diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. All other races I normally use inhaler before swim and race is short enough I don't need it again.

Used it an hr before swim at NOLA and about 1.5 mi Into run asthma started coming on. Should have used it again in t2. Ended up having to walk most of the run. Lesson learned.
Quote Reply
Re: Races you wish you do again and do better [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:

It may seem ridiculous but every race I have done. Hear me out.

Every race I do, as I believe all dedicated endurance athletes are, I am searching for that perfect race. Where everything goes well, you are firing on all cylinders, etc. It's very elusive and you only get so many perfect races in your life. Still looking to put one together. Every race to date there is always something that can be addressed for next go round. It's a moving target. That's one of the things I love about it.

Yes, that is an excellent point - I always feel I could have done a bit better at something.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Louisville. Finished in 16:32 last time I was there and would like a do over but it won't be the same now that they changed the date.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vineman 70.3 a couple of years ago. My only nutrition bottle ejected (you know why) and I had to spend 2 minutes looking for it. I also walked a few aid stations. PR at the distance 5:00:02
Last edited by: arkmann: Apr 25, 15 11:25
Quote Reply
Re: Races you wish you do again and do better [arkmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arkmann wrote:
Vineman 70.3 a couple of years ago. My only nutrition bottle ejected (you know why) and I had to spend 2 minutes looking for it. I also walked a few aid stations. PR at the distance 5:00:02
Yeah, I saw a lot of bottles on the ground at the bridge, and one poor woman had ejected over into the dry creek bed. That was a tough race and another one I will try again.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMWI The first 3 miles of my 1st IM last year where i went out too fast... and that part where I goofed up and got a drafting penalty on the bike. Needed 5-6 minutes to pretend to be a pro and get my ass kicked by guys with real talent but save a little on entry fees. Oh well. I'm too slow of a swimmer anyway.

I also didn't savor the finish line. I let the excitement get the best of me and raced across the finish. You only get that 1st IM finish once.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:

Alcatraz. Granted 2013 was my first time ever, I certainly learned what not to do. 2016 baby (hopefully).

Quote | Reply
Bone Island Half in Key West... I had some GI issues that surfaced on the run and I puked.. along with some other stuff for 13 miles. I have some ideas what went wrong and I wanted a do over but they looked to have folded that race as well.

Otherwise I could go back and change little things about ALL of my races but that had to be my largest train wreck to date.
Quote Reply