Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Races to do before they're gone
Quote | Reply
There's the other thread about the prospects for Wildflower's survival in future years, and it makes me think... I wanted to do Tahoe (gone), Muskoka (did it once and wanted a second crack, but gone), and still want to do Wildflower (but maybe waning?).

So here's the question: Are there great races out there that I should really try to do, but that are on life support or might become that way? Just curious if there's anything that ought to be at the top of my "might do one day" list.

So not really a greatest race list, but a greatest endangered race list.

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [Darkwing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMTX
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St. Croix
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't last year the final IRONMAN TX?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to wonder about Savageman. I did the oly twice and the 70 last year. It seems to be drawing a smaller crowd each year. It makes me sad because it is a convenient, well-organized race on good roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savageman has a triple race this year -- Sprint, then Oly, then Half the next day. That sounds like a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Savageman has a triple race this year -- Sprint, then Oly, then Half the next day. That sounds like a lot of fun.

I am not tough enough for the triple race, but I have already registered for the half. I blew up last year and barely finished, so I need to redeem myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Formerly XTERRA Richmond, but it's being brought back after XTERRA dropped it as the James River Off Road Triathlon. Hopefully it'll stick around and grow under the new organizer, as there's really no other race experience quite like riding through Party Rock with a guy in a Mickey Mouse head and a luchador costume funneling beers while cheering/yelling at you.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
St. Croix

I had been thinking the same thing. After this past weekend it may be too late. Results indicate 256 total participants. I know the course can be savage with wind and heat, but the delta on finish times for the first 40 is something like 1 hour 20 minutes!
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:

that really sounds awful.
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
spudone wrote:
St. Croix

I had been thinking the same thing. After this past weekend it may be too late. Results indicate 256 total participants. I know the course can be savage with wind and heat, but the delta on finish times for the first 40 is something like 1 hour 20 minutes!
I really hope WTC will do whatever it takes to boost interest in that race. It has a long history and shouldn't be allowed to fade away. Get the pros back there, add the Kona slots back, or whatever gets people motivated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree! St. Croix is an important part of triathlon history!
Remember the yearly battles between Crowie and Richie C? Man, I miss they don't show those on TV anymore.

I was pretty much one and done with St. Croix-- it chewed me up and spit me out, but I got across that finish line. Will never forget it.
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bt wrote:
I agree! St. Croix is an important part of triathlon history!
Remember the yearly battles between Crowie and Richie C? Man, I miss they don't show those on TV anymore.

I was pretty much one and done with St. Croix-- it chewed me up and spit me out, but I got across that finish line. Will never forget it.
It's a race I've wanted to do for a long time but the timing hasn't worked out with my job.

Since Kona is WTC's big carrot, another thing they could do is make it count towards the 12 required races for a legacy slot. That might draw even more people than direct qualification slots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Croix is a fantastic race in a beautiful place. I did it twice and it was a true IRONMAN race. Until IM Tahoe it was the only race I ever saw strong athletes pushing their bikes because they just couldn't go fast enough to stay upright. BUT- it's a pain in the ass to get there from anywhere, the roads are atrocious and it's very expensive. I had to ship my bike on FedEx because the commuter planes that go there from Puerto Rico are too small to take bikes as baggage. Some of this may have changed in the last few years, but considering the trend toward flat, fast and easy access, I'd have to add it to the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One that I would like to try, hopefully next year, is the long course at Peasantman. They call themselves a steelman distance because steel is harder than iron, and the bike at that race is 116 miles. I don't know anyone who has done the race, but it looks like a good challenge. I also have friends in the area, so it would make a nice long weekend for us.
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Savageman was my first thought as well.
It's a fantastic event that provides a unique challenge in today's world of "easy" IM courses with the tough courses disappearing.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: Races to do before they're gone [ironwoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not thrilled to see St Croix on the list. When I first started actually training, I did a winter computrainer group and one of the courses we did regularly was St Croix. I've always wanted to race it, but like one other poster said it's a PITA to get to.

Cheers!

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like they said - Savageman. great race, nice area.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll +1 Savageman, and add the American Zofingen Duathlon for the similar challenge.
Though AmZof doesn't need to be popular to survive, so hopefully will keep going in it's small, relatively under-the radar fashion.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: May 3, 16 9:10
Quote Reply