Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Races known by their location
Quote | Reply
There are endurance races that are immediately identified just by their host city or location. I'm thinking of Kona, Leadville, Boston. What are others that come to mind?

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Last edited by: Gary Mc: Mar 26, 15 14:17
Quote Reply
Re: Races known by their location [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alcatraz.
--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oceanside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Badwater

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Races known by their location [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Badwater

Good one. That's what I'm looking for. Races instantly known by the greater endurance community just by their location. How about any that are cycling only? Or other sports, XC skiing, Paddling, etc.?

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Last edited by: Gary Mc: Mar 26, 15 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daytona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St Croix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Auburn.

Donner

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
How about any that are cycling only?

For races that have amateurs:
Gila.
Battenkill.

Pro races? Mostly they're named by the start and end places... (or "via", like Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne).
Paris-Roubaix (also colloquially just called Roubaix, but not in front of any big-S reps) is probably the best example.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you clarify?

Are you asking for races of any size or fame that use a place name instead of some other name?

or

Are you asking for iconic races that use a place name that could have ambiguity but is assumed because of its ubiquity?

Examples of case 1: Auburn Triathlon vs Ice Breaker Triathlon (starts in the same lake) [and sorry Dave, I don't think many non-west-coasters, much less non-USers, know what Auburn or Donner is], or Ironman Lake Tahoe vs Expedition Man (also at Lake Tahoe)
Examples of case 2: "I'm doing Boston this year" could mean lots of things, but 99% of people correctly assume Boston Marathon. Flip side is that Norseman has location in its name, but you still have to explain to people that it's an uphill iron-distance race in Norway because no one knows.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Races known by their location [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Can you clarify?

Are you asking for races of any size or fame that use a place name instead of some other name?

or

Are you asking for iconic races that use a place name that could have ambiguity but is assumed because of its ubiquity?

Examples of case 1: Auburn Triathlon vs Ice Breaker Triathlon (starts in the same lake) [and sorry Dave, I don't think many non-west-coasters, much less non-USers, know what Auburn or Donner is], or Ironman Lake Tahoe vs Expedition Man (also at Lake Tahoe)
Examples of case 2: "I'm doing Boston this year" could mean lots of things, but 99% of people correctly assume Boston Marathon. Flip side is that Norseman has location in its name, but you still have to explain to people that it's an uphill iron-distance race in Norway because no one knows.

Example 2 is what I'm looking for. Endurance races that you don't have to explain to someone who knows anything about that sport. Your Boston example is perfect. I would add Kona, Leadville, and Badwater.
Any more?

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks for the clarification.

So Leadville is ambiguous as it could be run or MTB.

Yes for Kona, Roth, Alcatraz, and Badwater as mentioned.

Berlin probably for running, less so for NY, Chicago, London because there's ambiguity between running and tri.

Couer d'Alene probably.

Probably lots more, and it'll be a mix of huge races and funny place names, and sometimes both :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Races known by their location [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Cool, thanks for the clarification.

So Leadville is ambiguous as it could be run or MTB.

Yes for Kona, Roth, Alcatraz, and Badwater as mentioned.

Berlin probably for running, less so for NY, Chicago, London because there's ambiguity between running and tri.

Couer d'Alene probably

Probably lots more, and it'll be a mix of huge races and funny place names, and sometimes both :)

Leadville is a bit ambiguous but it still works because most would say "The ride or the run?" rather than "What's Leadville." That's what I'm looking for.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply