Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race wheels...Decisions, decisons
Quote | Reply
Hey All,

I'm now down to the last 6 weeks to my first Ironman (Copenhagen) and need to get myself some carbon wheels. The three sets I'm choosing from are

Just about me I'm a decent cyclist and looking to average about 35-36kph on the course. Which is rolling terrain and pretty windy.
Weight: 77kg
Current Ride: 2014 Speed Concept 7.5

• Profile Designs TwentyFour 78: 1600EUR
  • HED jet Plus 6/9: from bike24 for about 1668 EUR
  • Reynolds aero 72: for about 1700EUR

I would ideally like to have a wheel set that I could use in all conditions so that has put me off going for anything like the aero 90 or Jet 9 front, especially seeing as I have never ridden deep sections before. And unfortunately the place I want to get the Reynolds from will not allow me to get a split set 72/90 and I haven't seen anywhere else offer that sort of price.

Does anybody have any good input to provide me. I think I would probably be happy on any of these wheels.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a thought:

The HED Jet's are the only ones you listed that have an aluminum brack track, is that important to you?
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not massively important to me as I will need to adjust the breaks anyway when I switch from training wheels which i think might be interesting on the Speed Concept. So swapping out the pads really isn't much more of an effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really thought someone would have chimed in by now, I really only have experience with the HED Jets and I like them.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 404/808 with the current 20% off sale.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard only good things from swissside hadron wheels, you can choose your set as you want. From my point of view there is no big gain from Planet X 52/80 to zipp FC 404 speed/handling wise compared to the 4times as much price wise.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Profile's include everything you need to run them, including pads. For the money, they are the best all around IMO, and what I will be running this year at IMAZ.....even compared to the Flow masters!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Speed Concept owner, I would recommend your training and race wheels match in terms of depth and braking surface.

My vote is the Hed Jets and to buy yourself some wide training wheels.

I run a 900 disc on the rear and use an older narrow carbon wheel for training.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
As a Speed Concept owner, I would recommend your training and race wheels match in terms of depth and braking surface.

My vote is the Hed Jets and to buy yourself some wide training wheels.

I run a 900 disc on the rear and use an older narrow carbon wheel for training.

As another Speed Concept owner, +1. For your sanity, do this. Plus aluminum brakes better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my jet 6/9 combo. Not having to worry about the brake pads is golden and they have held up well. Got mine from mybikeshop (Brian) new (think he is a dealer now for hed) for a really good price and haven't looked back.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Jet and love it. The width issue is not important for me, but arriving at a race and finding out it rains and having decent aluminium rims to break is important for me.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to wake up to some fresh responses on this one. Thanks for the input guys.

Ideally I would go with the crowds and get a nice shiny pair of 808s, but unless I can find a good second hand pair which can be pretty tricky at this time of year I think they are out of my price range even with the offers available.

I can see, lots of love out there for the Jets out there, which is good to hear, because it can be quite difficult to find many reviews for them. I am very tempted to go that way and if I can and then maybe think about a disc cover or a cheap second hand disc over the winter. Plus a good set of wide training wheels to save the bother of having to switch out all the time.

I know they tend to be the less popular options due to the non standard rim shape, but is there any input on the Reynolds. I know weight is usually considered less than less than aero, but for 200g less it has to make some sort of difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked into FLO wheels? They have a massive sale going on in 4 hours.

http://www.flocycling.com/
Last edited by: champy: Jul 16, 15 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love a set of Flo wheels, but as I am outside the US the Import taxes to get them delivered make them pretty expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the HEDs, I may be biased though, their office is all of 5 miles from my LBS and HED engineers are in the shop on the regular. I love my Jet 6+s, my wife is on the blacks, the brake track noise is amazing and the best bike bling you can get.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent... thanks!

more bikes and gear available at:

http://www.mybikeshop.com
sales@mybikeshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have in-line barrel adjusters on my Trek for much needed brake adjustment; although my disc and training wheel are fairly similar in width; it's the 808 rear that needs the tension adjustment.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting, where do you fit those? If you have any pics it would be interesting to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
Nice to wake up to some fresh responses on this one. Thanks for the input guys.

Ideally I would go with the crowds and get a nice shiny pair of 808s, but unless I can find a good second hand pair which can be pretty tricky at this time of year I think they are out of my price range even with the offers available.

You're in Denmark, right? Have a look on timetriallingforum.co.uk, specifically in the Wheels Classifieds forum. There is usually a good selection of good condition wheels in there (808 FCs are a favourite), and within the EU you won't have to worry about import tax.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think, I'm pretty much there with a decision. I am pretty convinced by the swisside wheels. They seem to be a pretty good deal and from what I have seen on here and other forums people seem pretty happy with the ride and quality. Plus as they are throwing in free set of gp4000s it would be silly not to.

As for depth, as nice as a full set of 800+ would look nice. They actually claim that there is only a 23 second advantage over Ironman distance between the 625 and the 800+. So maybe given the ease of handling I will go for 800+rear and 625 front.

http://www.swissside.com/swiss-side-hadron-project-update-23/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really ?

Import tax for Flo 60s a few years ago was £120 so £900ish all in

Seems a lot less than €1600

For that amount I would want lighter carbon clinchers
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To get them out to Denmark I was quoted over £300 so makes a big difference. Plus they are pretty heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeez 300 is a big hit !

The Flos are 200g or so heavier, I and plenty on ST are happy with them, I have a buddy with Hadrons 625 and he's quite happy with them.

Review here

http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/swiss-side-hadron-625-wheelset-review.html#rzR1L3AGgk3QsRPI.97
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheels...Decisions, decisons [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soo,the decision was made and I've finally recieved the wheels. Went for the Profile designs in the end....To be honest they were the ones I originally wanted. Wasn't expecting that but they came with the black decals and as we know black is definitely faster :-)

First ride out tonight!!

Quote Reply