Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race wheel combo question.
Quote | Reply
What's a better combo. 45 and a disc or 60 + 90. Talking about all-round combination that could be used in all kinds of race conditions calm or windy
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheel combo question. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
provided the disc isnt banned from the races you want to do, most people here will probably tell you disc + whatever front, 45, 60, 90.. other people will tell you go 60/90 and then spend the small amount of cash for the wheelbuilder cover for the rear. personally I run 60/90, or 90/90 depending on conditions. good luck with your decision, probably not a huge difference either way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would thing the best is (in order):

90/disc
60/disc
45/disc
60/90

I'll let the true aero experts debate 3 and 4, but I feel pretty good about 1 and 2.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheel combo question. [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know that some races wouldn't allow disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

What distances are you talking about? I've used a Zipp rear disc/front 404 combo for short distance and have a pair of 8.9 Enves for longer distances. Are you doing local/regional or national events? If you are doing events where there is a history of the wind being a non-factor, go with the disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheel combo question. [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

What distances are you talking about? I've used a Zipp rear disc/front 404 combo for short distance and have a pair of 8.9 Enves for longer distances. Are you doing local/regional or national events? If you are doing events where there is a history of the wind being a non-factor, go with the disc.

Good question. It will be a wide variety of races this. A couple of local hilly sprints with some Olympics that will be flat and the 70.3 in obx in September ( flat but windy). I have Flo carbon clinchers in 45 front and rear but thinking about a disc or 90 rear as well .Also PM you.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Mar 18, 17 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are only a few races that don't allow solid disc wheels.

Most notably, the Ironman World Championship in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Good question. It will be a wide variety of races this. A couple of local hilly sprints with some Olympics that will be flat and the 70.3 in obx in September ( flat but windy). I have Flo carbon clinchers in 45 front and rear but thinking about a disc or 90 rear as well .Also PM you.[/quote

It's very rare when a race won't allow a disc. But at Chicago Worlds in 2015, it was so windy that discs were banned until race day morning when they announced they would be allowed.....I would have been in big trouble. But since you have a set of Flo 45s as back ups, I'd definitely get the disc. Really up to you if you wanted to spend the money on a front 60 or 90 or spend the money on something else like a top of the line aero helmet, swim skin/suit, etc. Thanks for pm.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheel combo question. [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Just out of interest, what is your reasoning for using the 8.9's for longer events instead of the disc/404??
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheel combo question. [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Just out of interest, what is your reasoning for using the 8.9's for longer events instead of the disc/404??

Got the Enves when I first started doing long course in 2015 just to get practice and feel for the wheels since my goal was Kona in 2016......and of course, no discs. Actually did a couple short course with them as well last year prior to Kona.....again, just to get used to the feel. No plans to do long course this year (signed up for the new Escape Series) so will probably try a front Enve / rear Zipp disc combo just to experiment.
Quote Reply