Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race settings: which fields do you use on you Garmin?
Quote | Reply
Interested to know how you guys are using your Garmin for race day. Which fields do you monitor the most; specifically power data? Which fields do you set to help you achieve your goals during a race (flat and hilly)?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Race settings: which fields do you use on you Garmin? [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim: I only watch the swimming-time when I come out of the water.
Bike: Heart rate, average speed, speed, distance (I don't have a power meter: If I had, I'd need to switch between windows)
Run: Heart rate, pace, running time, distance
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jan 25, 15 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: Race settings: which fields do you use on you Garmin? [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Lap Power (set auto lap to 2.5mi) for 70.3 and IM this is what I look at mainly
2. 3s Power (this is to pace short efforts such as passes, hill climbs, etc... to make sure I don't go too hard)
3. Cadence
4. HR
5. Time

on a separate page:
1. NP
2. TSS
3. IF

on a separate page
1. Distance
2. Time of day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 500 I have time, distance, 10s power, 30s power, average and normalized power. Regardless of flat or hilly I try to keep average and normalized close by not going too crazy on uphills and holding as much power as possible on downhills. This is more efficient and I am always surprised how many people crush it up hills and I ultimately get to T2 before they do. You could also display VI which is normalized/average, closer to 1.00 is better.

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1
Powered by
Accelerate3 Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
speed, time, distance, 3s power, avg power, np power, hr, cadence

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Race settings: which fields do you use on you Garmin? [EmSher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. This is a HUGE help!

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the bike, I assume?
only one screen really:
- 3 Sec Power
- Normalized Power
- Average Power
(I do the math more or less on the fly to determine VI)
I do have autolap set to 5 miles, just as a reminder of how far I've gone, but don't look at that screen.

I pick the targets based on the type of race, and try hard to stick to them, so hilly vs. flat vs/ windy does not really figure into my calculations.

On the training screens I may have a lot more information to help, depending on the type of ride, but racing is pretty simple.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally think kJ is a much better metric to have for a race than TSS.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 910. On the bike I keep my screen on:

Lap split (auto lap 5 miles)
3 second power
current HR

Quote | Reply
910xt Race day

3s power
cadence
kJ

910xt Indoor Trainer

3s power
cadence
HR

page 2 on both
Time of Day
Total Distance
NP
Quote Reply
Re: Race settings: which fields do you use on you Garmin? [EmSher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't have IF on a garmin 500 or a 910 can you?
Quote Reply