Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race Weight Challenge
Quote | Reply
Why don't we have one of these? It seems like a lot of us could see more gains by getting to race weight than through 100 runs, guppy, swim, whatever challenges.

The math could be a bit tough to code, but it seems like it could be some sort of quadratic equation (or whatever).

(CW - RW)^3 + (RD - CD)^2 = Skew

Where
CW = Current Weight
RW = Race Weight
RD = Race Date
CD = Current Date

And you measure progress along your skew. For instance, if I have 20 pounds to race weight I have a different skew than somebody who has 5 pounds to race weight. I'm not a math person by any stretch so I completely made that up based off 7th grade math (I think).

I bet I could shave 15 minutes off my 70.3 by being race weight. Damnit. I want a challenge (and it ain't weight watchers or some BS cleanse thing).

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could get into this. I need to drop about 5-7 lbs to get to a perfect world race weight, but my race is on November 12th and I've been doing tons of intensity, so I don't know how that would pan out.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could use a challenge like this. I've packed on about 10 pounds this year, mostly just being lazy about nutrition, and know I'd feel so much better without carrying that around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dumb question...... how do I know what my race weight should be? am 45 years old, 5ft 6inches, and currently 190 pounds. prob like 30% body fat (yes a fat ass).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I'm riding mostly gravel races next year and am coming to the conclusion that my fat ass is even more of a hinderance on loose gravel than it is on my tri bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [brosemail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you've got that much to lose I don't think you can even think about race weight. Get close to 10% then you might be able to calculate what your ideal race weight would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in too, but my race isn't for awhile. I'm fine with an earlier deadline though as I don't want to be losing weight close to the race anyway.

Current 170
Goal < 160
Race date Apr 28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, count me in too. I've already started (end of August) after a season out due to illness - weight ballooned to 107kgs, so 235lbs. Leanest I raced at was 78kgs (171lbs), and even then I think there were still another 10 - 15 that I could have got off to hit race weight. I'm in IM Austria July next year, and have a lot of work to do. In 6 weeks I've taken off 7kgs, so am hovering around 100 kgs at the moment. Seem to have hit a bit of a plateau as this is where I have been the last 3 weigh ins. It'll shift down again, but frustrating to say the least.

I too have no idea what my ideal race weight should be. I'm a shade under 6'2, and of a broad shouldered swimmers build - played a lot of rugby and lifted a lot of weights in my youth. I'm going to have a stab in the dark that if I can get under 75kgs (165lbs) then I should race pretty well. Whether I can get there is another matter, but I have 10 months.

All data saved on a Withings scale so easily shareable here for motivation :-)
Last edited by: Ironmike78: Sep 28, 17 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar question about how to calculate race weight. I'm 5'6", weighed in at 143.3 lbs this morning, and currently stand around 8% body fat. I don't want to give up much muscle, but want to optimize race weight. It's quite the quandary...

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [brosemail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be new here

Quote:
the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

originally posted Feb 20, 2006, but quoted often

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are your eyes sunken into your face? Lol

Ok here's something that may or may not be accurate. But it's fun to mess with

http://racingweight.com/rwe/#/

Edit to add: I just did this for myself and it grossly overestimated my race weight. Either that or my garmin scale grossly underestimates my body fat %. Actually I'd guess the scale is wrong.
Last edited by: Sean H: Sep 28, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't start looking sickly until I get to 135 lbs, so I guess there's a starting point! My eyes always look sunken after a good workout, but I'm still working towards Dan's cancer/AIDS questions.

The calculator said 141, but I'm not convinced. I'll play with weight over the winter and see what feels good, and try to report back (if I remember).

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My "A" race is July 2018. When do I have to start getting down to my race weight...whatever that may be?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try and do it in base training. During build everything is hard enough, I don't want to make it worse by being underfueled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For reference, it told me 168. I was just about 160 for my A race last spring and that seemed about perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, my training plan is about 30 weeks – 10 week base, 10 week build, 10 week peak - beginning just after the new year. What you’re saying is during January and February I should be dropping down to my race weight and then maintaining it until my race in July? Sorry to sound like a dummy…just trying to understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert but that's what I would do and have had success doing in the past. If it spills over to build I wouldn't worry about it though. Have it lost before peak though.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
You must be new here

Quote:
the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

originally posted Feb 20, 2006, but quoted often

Not nearly often enough.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in. Currently at 162 lbs, 6"1' is the height, race day is 04/07/2018. I'd like to be at 155 lbs, and these 5-7 lbs are a bitch to lose.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, interesting. Without any research, I would've assumed get to race weight just before taper, but this is great info.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Race Weight Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but you'll be fast AF! Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well maybe someone can chime in with some research. I just know once the volume goes way up I don't want to be restricting myself too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Weight Challenge [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
At 116 pounds I could seriously be trending the sunken eye look!!

Some girls look good that way

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]

Prev Next