Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Report: FIRM Man Half Iron, First Sub 5-Hour Finish
Quote | Reply
I’ve always enjoyed reading race reports on here and thought I’d throw my hat in the ring. Hope you enjoy or learn something, as I always do when reading others.

About me: 28 YO, doing tri for 8 years total, (first 4 casual, last 4 performance oriented), no previous endurance sports background. This race was my third HIM (others in 2014 and 2015, both I went 5:37), most of my racing is sprint distance. I’m 5’9 and 137 ish pounds (little guy, lol!). Made efforts to take my racing to next level this year, and led off the year with 4 sprint races (2 in june, 2 in july), had fun racing faster at short distances, did pretty well (2nd, 3rd, 4th overall placings), and decided to use that fitness as a springboard into a fall HIM. Used late july and august to ramp up volume and focus my training. My goal for this race was to break 5-hour mark, which was asking a lot based on my two 5:37 HIM performances, but I thought it was possible given the speed gains I saw in my sprint races and my longer workouts throughout june/july. Also was a good round number to motivate me to break. I consider myself generally balanced in the three disciplines, perhaps running is my relative strength if I picked one, more on that later.

RACE: F.I.R.M. Man Half Iron, Narragansett RI. Ocean swim, rolling bike with about 2000’ elev gain, mostly flat run, couple gentle inclines. Small race, about 100 participants in half. also a sprint race, aquabike, relay, and open water swim options. My sister in law goes to URI grad school nearby, stayed there, about 15 mins from race site. Woke up 4:20, had PB+J, prepped my bottles, loaded car, stopped at Cumberland farms (open 24 hrs!) for a coffee, got to transition about 5:10 (race start at 7). I like having ample time to get set up in transition. Race conditions: clear, chilly low to mid 50s temps before sunrise, increasing gradually to about mid-upper 60s by race end. Winds calm at dawn, but picked up to 5-10 mph out of the north throughout the day. A gentle breeze, enough to notice but not enough to cause problems.

Swim: long walk down the beach to start. swim was arranged as out, perpendicular to shore, then back in so you basically had to walk about a mile down the beach to the start. there was some good surf, were it my first tri I would have been seriously worried, but I’ve had enough experience to not be bothered. Took a nice long pee in my wetsuit about 30 seconds before the gun, and off we went. Focused on getting past the surf, to the turn buoy, then just settling into a smooth rhythm. Tons of comb jellies in the water (they don’t sting), but you could feel them in your hands pulling thru water – anyone who’s been to a RI beach before should know what they were feeling in their hands, but a weird feeling it would be for anyone who didn’t know what they were feeling! I got through the swim smoothly and quicker than expected. I think my slightly-faster-than-expected time was from a low-ish tide which allowed some running up the beach to the timing mat…cross referenced another athlete’s strava, course didn’t appear to be short so I think I just swam well. For me. total time 29:38.

T1: my worst-case target to get thru the swim plus T1 to meet my 5-hour goal was about 36 minutes. My wife timed my swim and shouted 29-something to me as I arrived to T1 so I knew I had lots of time in hand already, and thus took my time in T1. Contrary to popular practice, I put my socks on in T1 (rolled them, was easy as pie). Caught my breath, bite of clif bar, off to bike. Time: 3:27.

Bike: my goal pace for the bike was between 20 and 21, with closer to 21 being danger of overbiking based on my training. I do not have power meter, and have had issues with wearing HRM in races so I trained to race off RPE and average speed of rolling terrain. I matched training rides to the total elevation of this course to help gauge. My biggest key to breaking 5 hours was to run well, so I was religious in my goal of not over-biking. Averaging 20.0 would give me great running legs, averaging 20.9 mph might put me in trouble later in the run based on my training. With the wind coming from the north, miles 3 thru about 20 and 35 to 40 had the tailwind. I knew the last 15 or so miles would then get the cross/head wind going back to town, so that helped me resist pounding on the pedals too hard early. Took about an hour for my legs to really feel as good as I was hoping, and overall the bike was uneventful and fun. I carried with me two bottles (one water, one with 4 scoops Infinit Jet Fuel). Infinit my only calories on the bike. Took on a water bottle handoff at aid station, so ended up drinking 2 bottles water along with the infinit on the bike. I’m new to the liquid calories this year, and im a big believer now! For those on the fence, I suggest trying it out! The course is mostly on route 1 which is basically a highway, by end of the bike there was a fair bit of traffic but it’s a big shoulder and it was ok, and trucks would help block the wind for a split second. You know how that feels. Haha. I was worried about how they would manage traffic, if anyone is considering this race in future let me know I’ll go into more detail but overall it was issue-free. Watching my average speed I was on target the whole ride and feeling good, the cross/head wind on the way back caused me to lose a few tenths on the speed but I rode within myself and knew I was ahead of schedule on my goal so there was nothing to be gained by over-exerting on the bike. Made sure to finish all my infinit and just get to T2 with no issues. Overall time: 2:45:39 (20.4 mph).

T2: had to pee sooooo bad. I’ve experimented with peeing on bike before and it didn’t go well, so I held it the last 20 or so mins of riding since there were porta johns not far away (and it was a crowded highway!). Knowing I was ahead of schedule again, took my relative time in T2, peed in porta potty, which gave me a mini-rest and I got out to the run. Time: 2:23.

Run: the run was always where my 5-hour goal would be fought for. Ive been working hard on the run and was targeting approx. a 7:05 min/mile average for the race. got off the bike feeling quite good. My one race hiccup: I had a handheld water bottle with Infinit in it for my run calories, the thing leaked and was empty by mile 1 (for the life of me cannot figure out what happened, I trained with it and never had leakage), but aid stations were plentiful, I took a gel at first aid station and sipped Gatorade at others for calories and electrolytes. First few miles went very well, cruised comfortably. Felt very satisfied that I didn’t over-bike and was letting my running carry me along well. Averaged 6:57 for first 6 to 7 miles, and at that point I felt the strength was dwindling but just ever so slightly. Average pace dropped to 7:02 by mile 10, but at that point I knew as long as I just kept moving and didn’t blow up I was likely to make my goal. Focused on just going mile by mile, counting em down and enjoying the nice RI scenery around me. I love RI. Miles 11 and 12 werent that great (8:04, 7:48), but there was also 100 yards of sand running right before the finish so I was just focused on keeping moving and getting just getting myself across the line because I knew I had my sub 5-hour performance in the bank. Made sure to sip water or Gatorade at all aid stations which were basically every mile, poured some water on my head and back to freshen up here and there. By mile 12 I was just on “don’t blow up because you got this in the bag” mode. Made it back to beach, through the sand, and across the line. Run Time: 1:32:13. Total Time: 4:53:21. Success. PR at the distance by over 40 minutes.

Takeaways: this was a breakthrough performance, just on a personal level. Shattered my PR, achieved a time I could barely dream of a couple years ago. I worked hard all winter, spring, and summer to train harder and more focused than ever, and it paid off. Cycling is by far my favorite discipline, but running is my best. I’m small, and don’t have the strength to put down big power on the bike (yet! I started doing 2x20s this year, they paid off, I’ll continue doing those), and will continue to work on cycling since it’s my low-hanging fruit in terms of where I can find time savings. Though I ran well in this race, I did fade toward the end miles and I feel that with more long runs in my training (I did one run each of 8, 9, 10, and 11 miles in my lead-up) I could knock more minutes off the run split too. Liquid nutrition rules. I had gut issues my previous two HIM races, and nothing of the sort in this race. Narragansett is a beautiful town, and this was a great, small race. it’s a budget race, don’t fool yourself (no medals unless you were podium in AG, basic post-race food, no swag besides towel and crappy shirt), but they aced the aspects they needed to (helpful staff, aid stations, traffic control). Though there’s lots of IM-brand and other 70.3s this time of year, if you’re looking for something different, want to avoid WTC, love RI, or never been there, I would not hesitate to endorse this race.

Glad to answer any questions on specifics of training if anyone is interested in specifics or is trying to accomplish a similar goal I can try and lend some insight.

Happy racing to all!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: FIRM Man Half Iron, First Sub 5-Hour Finish [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind me asking, during training, what swim, bike and run times were you getting at various distances? I'm looking forward to my first HIM in December and my training times are telling me I'll go sub 5. 4 weeks since I bought my first bike and with 2 hard sessions during the week and a long ride on Sundays. On my 4th long ride I was able to ride the 90km in 2 hours 50 minutes. My running is good. Can do 15km @ 4:40 and swimming is a struggle but its getting better. 2km in about 45 minutes. Definitely not my strong point but it will get better. Hopefully will do a 35 minute swim when it's all said and done.

As a rookie, I have no idea how much I should be slowing down for the actual race. So if you have any training numbers I hope to be able to compare, and use it as a guide to how I should pace myself on the day.
Last edited by: MJI16: Sep 11, 17 22:26
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: FIRM Man Half Iron, First Sub 5-Hour Finish [MJI16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My long rides were done at my goal race pace, between 20 and 21 mph average. I mixed it up a bit tho, not just one intensity cruise control for all long rides. one of my fav sessions was a 2 hr ride as 30 min warm up, 1 hour basically as a hard TT, 30 min cool down. That ride would turn in an average speed of 20.4 ish, but that middle hour was 22 or so average depending on terrain. I did one extra long ride of 68 miles, with more elevation than the race, and average of 20.7, that was a sufferfest for me. I did 2x20 interval rides throughout the year, on a flat, uninterrupted circuit with no turns I was averaging 24.7 to 24.9 mph for those 20 minutes. My Takeaway: gotta train faster than you plan to race if you want to avoid overbike. I did multiple long rides after hard swim workouts too, something I hadn't done in years past, I think that really helped me on race day.

Speaking of swimming, I'm an adult onset swimmer FWIW, leading up to race most of my key sets were 500 and 1000 TTs, and 20x50 on 1 minute. I think my fastest 500 times (SCY) were 7:48ish, 1000s were 16:11 to 16:30. Didn't do anything longer than 1000 straight thru, most sets were 2k to 3k total. Race swims are always subject to variation with currents or distances so YMMV.

Running: 7:45 is comfortable cruise pace for me, EZ runs on active recovery days were done 8:40 ish pace. One week out from race did a 56 mi race pace bike then hard brick run, ran 5.6 mi at 6:49 pace, and felt like I coulda kept that up on that day. Did one brick run of 9.2 mi at 6:55 per mi, other than that long runs done at 7:50 to 8:10 per mi pace. When I'd do speed work I would be in the 5:30 min mile pace area, but those were for short distances (0.5 mile repeats with 5 min recovery between, for example). Takeaway: again, gotta train fast to race fast. Your legs will be tired on the run. If you can, I highly recommend doing a long run or two of over 13 miles, even if it's at insanely easy pace. To help give your legs some strength for those later run miles.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: FIRM Man Half Iron, First Sub 5-Hour Finish [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enjoyed your RR! Also good feedback.

I'm also hoping to go sub 5 on my 2nd HIM...and have been putting in a solid build all year since I did my first full IM in April. My first HIM was a bad experience full of bad decisions and poor execution. Hope to take the lessons from that and my well executed full and come away with a good day. Congrats on beating your goal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That certainly helps a lot thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job PBT: enjoyed the write up and what a great feeling when it all comes together on race day! I enjoy reading race reports too, thanks for doing it. Your jellyfish swim experience reminds me of the movie Finding Nemo: "dude, swimming with the jellies"...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Last edited by: IL2tri: Sep 12, 17 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great RR, and congrats on breaking the huge PR!

I am 5'9" also, but 142 lbs at race weight. My guess is that you don't do any consistent heavy lifting, which would account for your weight at 137 lbs and your 2:45 bike split. True or false?

Nice run. What kind of volume and speedwork were you doing for your run training?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: FIRM Man Half Iron, First Sub 5-Hour Finish [Petrarch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petrarch wrote:
Great RR, and congrats on breaking the huge PR!

I am 5'9" also, but 142 lbs at race weight. My guess is that you don't do any consistent heavy lifting, which would account for your weight at 137 lbs and your 2:45 bike split. True or false?

Nice run. What kind of volume and speedwork were you doing for your run training?

you are correct, i do not do weight training. i just dont enjoy doing it. if i were going for a KQ or something like that and knew it was the key to getting to that level, i would pursue it but right now i just flat out have more fun by not doing it. and im fine with that.

i am a time-strapped athlete (3 hours commuting each day, working on being rid of that soon!) so my volumes aren't astounding, my weekly running mileage this summer was 14-18 miles per week, with peak of 25 miles/week but was as low as 10 miles/week at times. life gets in the way sometimes. but that's the best i could manage. for speedwork, i do mostly 0.3 or 0.5 mile intervals, at 5:20 to 5:40/mile pace for those intervals. usually no more than 1 dedicated speedy session per week. i did some hill repeats earlier in the year (like january and february) but i didnt get around to doing those as much later in the season. the other "speedwork" sessions i would do were just short fast brick runs after bike rides, like 1 or 2 miles, as fast as i could manage without fear of injury. usually was around 6:00/mi pace, in the lead up to this race i managed a 2 mile brick run after a bike ride at 5:50/mi average. i felt like those were effective uses of 6 to 12 minutes of training time given my limitations, and liked doing them so i did those a handful of times. i felt like they were effective sessions. i saw progression throughout the season as i did them more often.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: FIRM Man Half Iron, First Sub 5-Hour Finish [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IL2tri wrote:
Nice job PBT: enjoyed the write up and what a great feeling when it all comes together on race day! I enjoy reading race reports too, thanks for doing it. Your jellyfish swim experience reminds me of the movie Finding Nemo: "dude, swimming with the jellies"...

thanks, i enjoyed finally having a race worthy of a report! and yes the jellies were interesting for me, i have a masters degree in marine biology and actually researched that species of comb jelly while an undergrad student (went to school in RI) so it was a funny experience for me to just think about the specifics of why they were so abundant, what the composition of the plankton was like, what they were feeding on, and nerdy things like that. i'd be lying if i said i didnt enjoy swimming through them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work, and enjoyed reading the RR. I had to look back in my results history to realize that I did that one in 2006 - but still have very vivid memories of finishing the run on the sand. That was just an evil, evil finish for those who had no idea it was coming! Overall, I had a great day time-wise and enjoyed the course....would love to go back and do it again someday.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: FIRM Man Half Iron, First Sub 5-Hour Finish [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luckily I knew it was coming and was ready for it. I had sand running in 2 other races this year, and I daresay the stretch in this race was easiest to get thru. It was short, and sand was not as soft as my other races (escape the cape in NJ and greenwich cup triathlon in CT). But if you didn't know it was coming it would have been rough.
Quote Reply