Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race Day Ethics - question
Quote | Reply
Is it unethical or improper to finish a race and then head out for another lap on the run course? Assume that I would hit the aid stations (again) while on the run course.

I'd like to do some shorter races this season, but need to get in long runs also in preparation for IMWI. Running the course again would allow me to make-up my regularly scheduled run mileage and compete on the same day.

Would I be a jackass if I did this?

Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [dave in chicago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you talk to the RD a few days prior to the race and jump out just before the finish line (the second time around) I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

Alternatively, for local races why don't you ride you bike to and from the race? Also, after the race you can always just go for a run off the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't see a problem with it, as long as you don't go through the finish chute again. Talk with the RD prior, just to grease the skids.

Years ago, I did the Lake Padden tri, where they had two races -- a morning race for the "elite" and another race in the afternoon for the "regular joes and janes" (where they had a cut off time, if you were too fast you weren't elidgeable for awards). I did the morning race, placed in AG there, and asked the RD if I could do the swim and the last lap of the run to pace a buddy in the afternoon race. His reply: "If you're sadistic enough to do it, fine by me. Just don't go through the chute." I got some real confused looks when I got out of the water and stopped to look for my buddy. The crowd is going "The transition is THAT way!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave-
I would say that it is unethical to go back on the course for a second loop, especially if you are going to hit the aid stations. I say, do the race, then head out somewhere else to finish your run. By the time you get back to the race, the race will be finishing up and you can then pack up your stuff and get out of there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're faced with that very circumstance tomorrow; doing a Sprint in the early am, but needing to get in some serious training time for IM CdA. Our plan is to finish the run, the ride another 80 miles, returning to the finish area (which will be empty by then), and doing a brick run on the course.

I can't see why, if you've cleared it with the RD in advance, there should be any problem with what you've proposed. However, if by chance you find that the aid stations are low on things (drinks, food, etc), I'd say you should pass on taking anything during your second trip around the course, just to ensure the BOPers are not left without.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is one ethical framework: Ask yourself, if everyone did what I am planning to do, would the world be a better place or a worse place? Using this framework, doing the run course a second time does not pass muster. As others followed your example races would get more and more chaotic.

Even if you were the only one you will be confusing volunteers, eating food that other athletes might want, crowding the course, and possibly discouraging some athletes---The athletes still out on the course think they are racing and could be demoralized to have a guy out on a training run breezing past them.

I say do your run somewhere else.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you hit the aid stations the second trip through, I'd think that would upset the RD and BOPers, and while maybe not unethical in terms of good vs. evil, it would probably be "jackass worthy". I'd suggest grabbing a fanny pack out of your car and doing the second lap self-supported. I can't imagine why that would upset anyone, assuming you finish the second lap without causing the volunteers to be delayed (ie, ahead of the BOPers).
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [Colin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually do this as my wife also races and I'm done about 5 min before she gets in from the bike. I bring my own water, clap and cheer for her and others on the course, yield to other racers and have been know to end up working the undermanned aid station or corner at a few races. Near the finish I always drop her off about 400m before the line so as not to get in her way, other racers way or interfere with the timers in any way shape or form. All said I've never had a RD complain to me and have had a few thank me for pitching in when I saw a need.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A sidenote to this discussion: Is it ethical to help pace someone in a race if you have already finished the race? I think that it is not. I think that those who have finished the race should treat the race course just as those who are not participants. Stay off of it and allow all others to finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Desert Dude's conduct would fall under rules section 3.4.d.
d.

Unauthorized Assistance. No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon. The receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

This is a major pain in the @$$ at a women's only half IM here in NorCal. The RD ALLOWS/ENCOURAGES pacing since it's many women's first half. Please, if you can't do the course by yourself, GET THE HECK OUT OF THE RACE! (Yes, this is a peeve of mine.)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Ironclm,

It seems to me like you are a little harsh regarding Desert Dude's behavior. I understand the need for the rule 3.4.d: You don't want 50000 people on the course of a race where 500 people paid the fee, for obvious reasons of logistics. Also, you don't want anybody to win a race after pacing their significant other swimming with fins, then jumping on a pacing motorbike for the bike leg and last, pacing them on roller blades to the finish lane.

Now, if Desert Dude finishes the race before his wife finishes the bike, it is safe to say that she probably isn't competitive and that the people that are still in the race with her aren't probably either. In that case, it is not about giving her an unfair advantage but just about sharing a good time as a couple.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Now, if Desert Dude finishes the race before his wife finishes the bike, it is safe to say that she probably isn't competitive and that the people that are still in the race with her aren't probably either.<<

Obviously you have never been in a really late wave in a race with a few thousand folks. So what if some of us are slow? Even if we are slow, we may still be COMPETITIVE in what ever way we choose and someone getting paced when someone else is not is cheating. You want to spend time as a couple...do it in training.

I'd like to hear from Eric and Steve on this, since they are the officials.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't argue against the competition argument. I guess it is your right to feel cheated by that.

Personally, the only person I compete against is myself. I am not bothered by what other people do around me. And, yes, I have been in big races, and as a SLOW swimmer, I always have a lot of people in front of me.

You have a valid point. Let's hear from the officials!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I go out for a run after the race I always remove my number first so that no one thinks I'm still racing and then usually run back against the flow of the race and cheer people on, stay away from the aid stations (I already had my share) and then when it comes time to head back to the transition, I try to find another route so that I'm not pacing anyone. As for the posting about everyone doing this, that should never be a problem since most people racing should have run hard enough to not want to be out there running some more :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's totally ethical, IMHO it's unethical to suggest it isn't.

the race director doesn't own the roads. the price of some water in a couple of cups and a gel or sports drink is certainly covered by the high prices we pay for sprint races.

I'd take off my race number and encourage those out on the course and give some high fives and take time to thank all the police and volunteers for their help.

spode - live life.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner has it right. For us it is about spending time together. We finally live in the same country but in different cities. So I do the things that I think are right for us as a couple. If that means squeezing in an extra 25min out of the 48hrs that we have together each weekend by hanging out with her as she finishes the run then I'm there.
A couple of you seem to think I'm pacing her. I typically run a step or two behing her to stay out of others way. She is a MOP to BOP and I make an effort not to interfere with other racers.
I don't do this at races with thousands due to the sheer volume of people. Mainly at the local races people therewith 100-300 people. I typically know the RD's and none has ever said a negative word to me.
Every race doesn't see me running with her. Probably 20% of the time I end up manning a corner where the volunteer has lost interest, helping out at an aid station or even assisting the injured racer.
Am I breaking rule 3.something D, yeah it sounds that I may be. Pacing? if you want to call it that then, so be it. Let me apologize for irritating your pet peeve. Have I had many, many competitors tell me "thanks" for cheerring them on? Every single race because every competitor I see I give a kind word to. A few RD's have even thanked me for pitching in here and there. Not one racer has ever complained to me or to the RD that I am aware of. If we all raced together and you saw us on the course you would never know if I was racing or had finished already.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's Penalty If racer A has completed the course and he goes back on to Pace Racer [yes running alongside for more that 15 seconds is pacing] he is no longer a competitor as he has completed the race. I would give a time penalty to the Racer B, warn the pacer to leave the course. if they continue to pace its a penalty after another 15 second until the racer B is DQed The head referee could also DQ Racer A for continuing to provide outside assistance theby violating the competative rules as stated in 3.6

if A wants to run with B then A needs to hang out on the run course and wait for B without leaving the course or finishing [nothing in the rules that says 2 runners can't run along at the same speed]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about if a time trial roadie "poaches" the bike leg of a Oly tri to get some riding time in on a marked out course? is this bad, if the course is on public roads?

Gary (aka poacher)
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>If we all raced together and you saw us on the course you would never know if I was racing or had finished already.<<

That's not the point. It's against the rules. Period.

>>Probably 20% of the time I end up manning a corner where the volunteer has lost interest, helping out at an aid station or even assisting the injured racer.<<

Totally different thing. Good on ya.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [spode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on the race. A small local race it's ok. A big race it would probably be a pain for the RD. I always rest swim some then start back to find my wife. She does Tri's for fun and I run in with her , it's not pacing it's having fun at a small neighborhood triathlon. I don't do it at the larger tri's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. If everyone or even half the field did what you plan on doing it would be a bit of a mess, so NO, don't do it.

2. Why not do the race as a RACE ie. go all out and put it on the line, so that when you finish, you don't feel like doing anymore for the day. Save the mega training days for other days.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck has the correct answer IMO. If you have to do more miles keep away from teh course.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [PGPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rules are the rules for a reason. It always amazes me how people try to rationalize why it is OK for the rules not to apply to them (i.e. its just a small race..... I am not bothering anyone...).
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Waytooslow,

Does it bother you that people break a rule that way? Could you please explain why? I am interested in understanding that issue. Some people raised the competition factor, which I can understand. Is there anything else?

Maybe these people think more like " I accept the risks and consequences of breaking the rule because it is more important for me to..." and fill the blank with "sharing a moment as a couple", or what ever they want? That would be a little different from saying that the rules should not apply to them. Would that be more acceptable?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Ethics - question [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck,

I agree with you. If everyone did it the course would soon be a mess. I also like to call it a day as far as excersize when a race is done, enjoy the food and drink and talk to friends.

I had been following this thread, then the other night I'm reading Triathlete Magazine and in the Dear Coaches column Huddle and Frey suggest to somebody they take a post race run on the course. i know those guys do some race directing, they directed Ralph's recently. I guess they are pretty sure most people have no interest in doing that or they'd have to double the stuff at the aid stations.

Paul
Quote Reply

Prev Next