Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Day Back Pack
Quote | Reply
I love the Zoot transition bags.
I love riding my bike to local races.
It's damn near impossible to ride your bike with your aero helmet on with a transition back pack.

Who is going to make the first transition bag back pack that is cut lower on the back to allow for the rider to wear an aero helmet without forcing the head into an odd position?

It can be a half hard shell so that it is somewhat aerodynamic itself.

Just need pockets for sneakers, wetsuit, goggles, towel/mat, hat, wet/smelly clothes and protection/water proof pockets for food, electronics, cash, sunglasses. 2 Large pockets for water bottles.

Over the shoulders WITH waist strap, cushioned, and perforated for ventilation.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Back Pack [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero helmet in the pack, road helmet on your head.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Back Pack [beanmj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, too much crap. And even so, it is difficult to get in the aerobars even with a regular road helmet.

C'mon, if it was made of kevlar or carbon fiber with a funky cut-out design you know it would sell!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And an insulated, waterproof pocket to keep our water bottles (and maybe a post race beverage) cool. I've seen this in tennis bags...would love it in a tri bag!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
C'mon, if it was made of kevlar or carbon fiber with a funky cut-out design you know it would sell!

that's sad but true
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Back Pack [PeaTearGriffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have so many creative carbon fiber project people here on ST.
We can make a sprint size and half ironman distance size.

It will be a developmental bag.

It will be a slow twitch small development bag and a slowtwitch big development bag.

Code name = ST Big D-Bag and ST Little D-Bag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an REI flash 30 pack, as long as I don't fill it to the top and remember to yank the compression straps I can ride it just fine with my aero helmet on. No need for a specialized pack, just head to a store with your helmet, tell them what you're looking for, and try a bunch on.

As mentioned in a previous thread, Ogio has come out with some awesome bags, though if I could combine two of their models I could create the perfect bag!
The Endurance 9.0 is obviously larger than what you are talking about, but seems to be a great new transition bag for all your gear, and apparently this guy below rides with his aero helmet on racing his way to the starting line!

However, their bags they have designed for motorcyclists actually are pretty close to what you are describing, though maybe a little small for all your race day essentials. The No Drag and Less Drag come with packable helmet hoods that tuck into the bottom of the pack. Designed to carry an extra motorcycle helmet, I think it would work perfectly for aero helmets if positioned properly.

Last edited by: dmohara: Feb 8, 12 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just ride on the horns instead of aero?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an Osprey Daylite. It is small and secure, but holds everything I need it to and you don't look like a Sherpa. That guy in the ad above looks like he's going to a week long convention.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Day Back Pack [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends. If the race is 20 miles away, I tend to want to get in the aero position part of the time. I'm actually more comfortable in the aerobars.

See how the guy above has the tail of the helmet is under the backpack. If he goes to sit up, the tail will catch the bag. If he goes to get in the aerobars again, the tail will catch the bag and knock the helmet down over his eyes.

I try to ride to most local events to warm up. Hasn't really dOne me that much good though.
Quote Reply