Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Across America Experience
Quote | Reply
EDITED subject based on Hook's feedback down below. Thanks all.

Good morning ST Gang - I had the unique opportunity to compete in the Race Across America (2 person division) a week ago. Amazing experience and encouraging outcome. Now it's time to prep for IM Tahoe so after a few days off, I went out for a short run. Epic failure. Made it 2 minutes before massive cramping in both quads (think of those night cramps you get in your calf when sleeping but in both quads). I've repeated the attempt the past 5 days and basically the same outcome. I can get about 2 1/2 - 3 min before the cramping stops me cold. After a little rest, I can go for another minute, etc. But max of 6 minutes (total) the past 5 days and no real improvement noted over the 5 days.

My theory is that it's simply a neuromuscular imbalance. I'd had a wreck about 6 wks prior to RAAM where I broke several bones so was not allowed to run at all during that period. Then I focused on riding primarily in aero position during training and RAAM, so the quads were functioning in a shortened position (ie, hip angle in aero). Now the re-introduction of running is asking the body to function in a lengthened position and the muscles simply aren't adapted so the cramping kicks in after a couple of minutes.

I'm not concerned about a muscle tear or bone issue, as it doesn't hurt at all the first 2 minutes and is relatively equal bilaterally. I have a feeling it's just going to take a couple weeks of re-adapting to walking/running and then will get back to normal (since I'd been doing absolutely zero running and almost no walking due to the wreck prior to RAAM). I'll keep trying a short run each morning and add a lot more walking to my day to speed that up. But if you've ever experienced this and have any suggestions, I appreciate it! Only about 10 wks to Tahoe and I hear there's a run at the end of that event :-)

Thanks!
Last edited by: Ironcoop: Jul 6, 15 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Post RAAM Extreme Quad Cramping w/ Running [Ironcoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No suggestions but congrads on RAAM! Studly.

See you at Tahoe.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on RAAM- awesome.

You need to treat this as if you're recovering from an ultra-distance run. Bilateral quad "cramps" like what you're describing are due to not recovering enough- even if it's 1 or 2 runs a week. Physical trauma is physical trauma.

Would suggest not running on the road for 3-4 weeks, and aqua-running instead (deep end, flotation belt). Work up to 4-5 aqua-runs/week. Depending on how many runs you maintained weekly during RAAM prep (if any), don't try to make up for everything in 7-10wks. Get your road running in gradually after the 3-4 weeks. Yes, it will freak you out to not be on the road, but you'll come out stronger in the "long run."

Let the bike frequency slide as well for the upcoming weeks. Maintain some bike volume, don't push the high-intensity as much. You've already built up a big bike-specific foundation, no need to push that with as much emphasis.

Good luck at Tahoe...

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a PT or masseuse? I would have someone spend 60 minutes beating the crap out of my quads, then take another day off. If there are knots in there, they will take weeks to heal on their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Post RAAM Extreme Quad Cramping w/ Running [Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. The more I study it, the more I think it's not so much an "injury" but rather is related to a combination of the "new" eccectric contractions (something we don't do when cycling) and the "new" range of motion (I spent 80+% of the RAAM race in aero so hips functioning primarily in a flexed position and now the running motion involves end-range muscle utilization).

I'll add the roller idea (good reminder) and this morning I jumped on the treadmill (similar compression forces to the trails vs. roads - another good thought - thanks!). The treadmill allowed me to go almost 5 min before any issues (previously 2 1/2 min was max) and 10 min over 3 brief sessions, so progress!

Adding back in some core work and light strengthening and will get the TrekDesk (walking at work) rolling for an hour or two at work today to remind the body that there's more to life than spinning pedals :-)

Open to any other ideas. Appreciate the insights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're asking why your legs are really messed up after completing the Race Across America, which probably consisted of riding 10-12 hours a day for 7-10 consecutive days, with exceptionally irregular sleep patterns? That sounds like something you may need more than a week to recover from to expect any semblance of normal leg function. I suggest using this recovery to post about the about the awesomeness that is your RAAM accomplishment versus trying to run.
Quote Reply
Re: Post RAAM Extreme Quad Cramping w/ Running [Hook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Fair enough Hook. Fair enough. Well said and thanks for the reminder.

It was an amazing experience. I'm more of a "running triathlete" than anything, and the longest I'd ever ridded prior to training for RAAM was 140 miles. That changed when a friend of mine shared his idea of competing in the 2-person category in the Race Across America last winter. 20 week build-up that included a lot of time on the Computrainer (I'm in Colorado). Averaged 25 hrs/wk of cycling/core/strength and thanks to family's support, a couple of weeks with 35 hours (mostly made up of a monster 3 day weekend of 14/10/8 hrs back to back to back). 6 weeks out I was feeling pretty good on all fronts. And it wasn't just high volume. FTP - in aero position - increased to 4.35 w/kg (which is nothing compared to many on this forum, but for 49 year old guy who was primarily a runner, it was pretty encouraging). Huge emphasis on getting and staying in the aero position using the new Aerobar Edge (shameless plug - http://www.AerobarEdge.com) and it seemed to be working, as I came to enjoy that position more than upright for first time ever and ended up spending 85% of non-climbing/non-sketchy RAAM sections of RAAM in Aero, which made a huge difference in our time.

Then 6 wks before the event, I was doing TT repeats out at a favorite spot and a goose took off into my bike and it wasn't pretty. Long story short: 4 broken ribs, broken clavicle, concussion, 8 stitches and 3 fractures in the pelvis. I wasn't worried so much about the ribs and clavicle for the cycling, but the pelvis was a huge concern long-term. Consult with 2 outstanding surgeons here in Colorado eventually determined I was ok to continue training and pursuing the event if no sharp pains noted (the pelvic fractures were non-displaced, which was an immense blessing).

So after clavicle surgery and a few days off the bike, it was time to get back in the game. The body responded pretty well (although those 14 hour days on the Computrainer while everything was healing and riding outdoors was too great a risk were something I'd prefer not to repeat). And we launched from Oceanside on June 20th.

The experience of RAAM itself is impossible to explain. Our crew was AMAZING. All of us were rookies - including everyone on the crew. But they came together so well, sacrificed not only their time but sleep and every possible comfort to help us get across the country as fast as possible. The extreme heat this year in AZ and the non-stop wind/rains through the midwest slowed us down, but it impacted everyone equally, obviously. Favorite moments? The night riding the first few days was amazing. All the teams were closer together at that point. So you could see - and then attempt to chase down - the other teams overnight who could be seen a mile or two ahead of you in the darkness. The other incredible aspect was how the body really does have another level. On day 5, I remember saying to one of the guys on our crew that my last pull was so ridiculous that my grandmother could ride it faster on a single speed, and she's not even alive anymore! It just felt like there was absolutely nothing in the tank. But then something happened and the next pull ended up being one of the best I'd had all day! Crazy.

I won't add to this already long response. But you're right Hook - I need to soak in this once in a lifetime thing that just happened. The running will come...

Thanks.
Quote Reply