Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RIP IM Los Cabos
Quote | Reply
According to the facebook IM Los Cabos page 2017 is the final year. Not a surprise...wonder if 2018 will find a contraction of IMs and reallocation of slots.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been contemplating for 4 months about doing this race.

I have been a bit concerned with the low entry numbers that if I sign up it may cancel anyways.

It is in a tough time of year to get high numbers.

KONA OCT
Louisville OCT
Florida NOV
Arizona NOV
Cozumel NOV

It seems to be the harder one people don't want to do. Hope it makes it to November this year at least.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the North East (Ontario) it is one of the harder courses to get to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it the first year and really enjoyed it. Nice vacation spot, tough bike course and great crowd support. I don't think I would have went back but sad to see it not succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
I did it the first year and really enjoyed it. Nice vacation spot, tough bike course and great crowd support. I don't think I would have went back but sad to see it not succeed.

I think the move from March to October really hurt the race.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's definitely possible. It's competing with many established races at the same time. Although it's also a good opportunity to qualify for Kona.
Kona is at the same time, many of the fast people are there and it's far enough from Europe and Oz/NZ that the other fast folks are unlikely to go.

With that said, there are several races that are normally full, which are still open, like IMFL. Maybe we're just getting to the point of saturation, on top of a bad date.
It's a bummer though. It would be nice to have races that are not full, and have less congested courses.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a huge difference between IMFL not selling out and IM Los Cabos. The former probably has well over 2000 already registered and the latter won't hit 500 by race day. When they moved Los Cabos to the fall they basically put it head to head with Cozumel which was more established and flat. Yeah, they are on the opposite sides of the country, but for folks coming from far away the question is which Ironman Mexico should I do? It also doesn't help that there is a US State Dept travel advisory on the Los Cabos area but not for Cancun/Cozumel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know it was that low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
According to the facebook IM Los Cabos page 2017 is the final year. Not a surprise...wonder if 2018 will find a contraction of IMs and reallocation of slots.

Meanwhile, I'm registered for the inaugural Ironman Haugesund (Norway). So yeah, 30 of those slots from Los Cabos were reallocated up north.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I didn't know it was that low.
And I was being generous. Looks like they have 332 on the starter list as of today. Frankly, I was amazed they didn't kill it after last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you will get more than 300 people signed up this year after the whole tainting alcohol incidents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know someone that is signed up for this race purely to KQ. With the smaller field and the same amount of slots allocated as many of the bigger races it seems like a great chances, if your willing to spend the money on the travel.

Still trying to figure out how they thought it was a good idea to change the race date to the fall. Potentially to intentionally kill it and put out a different venue somewhere else, or just to allocate more spots at other races?
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [endurancealex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't think you will get more than 300 people signed up this year after the whole tainting alcohol incidents."

What incident, what did I miss? Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This I assume - http://www.jsonline.com/...l-resorts/519101001/

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this race in 2014 and have been seriously considering returning this year due to the low numbers of entrants. Never a better chance to KQ. However, this news from yesterday has me reconsidering. This is the site of swim/T1

https://www.yahoo.com/...otout-014904827.html
Last edited by: jt3: Aug 7, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [jt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn.

This is pretty brazen too since the getaway from that beach is via a single road.....

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [jt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of racing this race with aim of another KQ but man, 230 people killed tainted alcohol, WTF.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the same thought process but...

How often do these thing happen in the cities we all ready live in and visit.

My biggest concern for this race isn't my safety during or before the event. But rather the event it self has such low numbers, will they fold it and give race transfers if it stays under 500???

Once I have booked and paid for everything?

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
I was thinking of racing this race with aim of another KQ but man, 230 people killed tainted alcohol, WTF.

How often do we drink during an Ironman week? And after if you stick to beer no problem.
I'd be more worried about the 3 people shot at Palmilla Beach yesterday (where this race starts). In the article posted above ^^^
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

How often do we drink during an Ironman week? And after if you stick to beer no problem.
I'd be more worried about the 3 people shot at Palmilla Beach yesterday (where this race starts). In the article posted above ^^^

Agreed the shooting is more disturbing......I like to pretend like i am going to party and take shots of tequila post race! Odds of that actually happening? Slim to none, lol......looking of plane tickets now to Cabo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about it too. But just because less people show up doesn't mean its a guarantee you will get KQ spot even if your on the bubble. You could have 3-5 studs in each age group show up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ironman cancelled this with the recent shooting. It sounds like that area is a mess. There is also a US travel warning.
Last edited by: trimac2: Aug 7, 17 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: RIP IM Los Cabos [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
I thought about it too. But just because less people show up doesn't mean its a guarantee you will get KQ spot even if your on the bubble. You could have 3-5 studs in each age group show up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ironman cancelled this with the recent shooting. It sounds like that area is a mess. There is also a US travel warning.

Pointy end always shows up! I think i can almost put myself on the pointy end now though maybe. 4 weeks post Kona would make it a toss up on how the body is for me.

If they canceled would they refund entries?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you would be able to transfer entry to another Ironman....not sure about refund.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done Cabo 3x. Love the race. Challenging bike course (on the Airport road). May seriously consider going back this year to shoot for a KQ slot.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
Yes you would be able to transfer entry to another Ironman....not sure about refund.

You would think so, but they only offer transfers for US and Canada races for those 2 countries. Wtc doesnt allow transfers from Santa Rosa to Cabo for example. So I wonder if they would only allow a transfer to Cozumel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next