Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon?
Quote | Reply
Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/HyVeeTriathlon):

Gary McKibben
Is it true that the triathlon is no longer?

Hy-Vee Triathlon
Hy-Vee is currently evaluating all of our events for the 2015 season. We hope to have more information related to the Hy-Vee Kids Fit events soon. Thank you for your patience!
Last edited by: calcio20: Jan 29, 15 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [calcio20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be shitty to the 10th degree if so. Hy-Vee was wildly successful as an ITU race, but it only took 3 years to kill it. Disappointing

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
........but it only took WTC 3 years to kill it.

Fixed it for you.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Especially not good for the pros.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
........but it only took WTC 3 years to kill it.

Fixed it for you.

Honestly, it's like they tried to kill it.
2011: First year as nondraft. 5150 series fairly successful. Can't recall what kind of coverage there was for HyVee though.
2012: series starts to wane, with various races leaving series, others disappearing. HyVee a marquee event, with incredible fields and pretty respectable coverage
2013: cut pro prize purse significantly, remove $5,150 primes for each swim (2x), bike (4x) and run (4x) lap. Pro race no longer separate from amateur race. No more Mini Cooper for amateur winner (the one positive in my opinion). I was racing it that year, so uncertain what coverage there was. I believe I recall my coach telling me there was tolerable live results.
2014: course flooding (outside organizer's control) alters pro course back to a loop course, but still done early morning, as amateur races changed to a sprint. No coverage anywhere. I had to hunt over Twitter because I was curious, as the live results weren't even updating

I said this in Twitter the other day in a conversation with you, DD, but I have mixed feelings about Life Time taking over all WTC short course events. It was shitty competition, but at least there was competition for a major non-draft Olympic series with 5150. Major olympic distance triathlons shouldn't be the red headed stepchild they are.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually really glad my SC pro, James whom I think you know, is heading to Europe then AUS to race late this spring. More opportunity to race, both draft legal and non drafting plus more opportunity to jump into the paying half IM race when it fits into his schedule.

I remember watching it the race the last year it wasn't a WTC race. Packed stands. good coverage online. watched it the first year it was a wtc race and knew it was doomed. For every 10 in the stands the year before 1 that year.

Hopefully races like Memphis in May and some others can regrow their race and increase. Would hate to see many of these races die bc of the failure of WTC to understand SC racing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 29, 15 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I'm jealous of anybody who gets to do that. I may only be 24, but I'm tied to work like I'm 34.
I know I'm never gonna be the 30-31' 10k runner necessary to make ITU racing worth my time, but if I ever got to the level of racing pro, having healthy non-draft short course racing on this continent would be nice, seeing as I'll likely never quit my real job.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
calcio20 wrote:
Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/HyVeeTriathlon):

Gary McKibben
Is it true that the triathlon is no longer?

Hy-Vee Triathlon
Hy-Vee is currently evaluating all of our events for the 2015 season. We hope to have more information related to the Hy-Vee Kids Fit events soon. Thank you for your patience!

Officially gone.

Emails have been sent out.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad it has come to this...there goes my pay-day for the season! I thought perhaps that just the WTC-owned 5i50 series would die off and Hy-Vee would keep the open race. It was such a great mid-western race but when they moved it from June to Labor Day weekend it killed it on so many levels.
http://www.hy-vee.com/company/press-room/press-releases/hy-vee-triathlon-events-discontinued.aspx
--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. This email was sent out on February 3rd regarding awards from last years Hy-Vee race. At least they are planning on honoring these. Disappointing to see this race dissolve.

"Good morning Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to thank everyone for your patience for the past 4 months while we work on securing your gift cards won at the HY-Vee 5150 Championship race. We received notification the cards will be sent next week via fed ex to our office then mailed to your homes asap.

We understand your frustration through out this long process and appreciate your support.

Have a great week. "
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...triathlon_j4882.html

Official now. I can't say I am surprised. I'm not exactly sure what a regional grocery store chain got out of providing a massive pay day to global athletes (from a marketing standpoint vs. the exposure GoPro gets for example). That said it was a great race, I am glad I had the opportunity to race it and it is sad to see it go.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw the RIP note of the HyVee Triathlon. I am sad to see its loss from the triathlon schedule. When Ric & his Hyvee Team came to ITU to get started they decided to do EVERYTHING at A+ quality. Their prize money to make sure each athlete got a pay cheque. Their TV production, world-class athlete hosting, suppers, and charity work for kids was truly inspiring. I know that athletes like Hunter Kemper and Sarah Haskins were big role-models for the school programs and they impacted thousands of kids and families.

A handful of athletes, had life-changing days with wins at HyVee. I remember Laura's big win around the same time that hubby Greg Bennett' won the million dollar Life Time Series Bonus money. Laura had the guts and smarts to knock off a world-class woman's field and upstart Kirsten Sweetland passed out a few hundred meters from the finishing line and didn't get her big pay cheque or Beijing Olympic berth that hot day in Des Moine.

The incredible come from behind victory by Simon Whitfield over Brad, Jan, Bevan, Kris and a handful of others in a 100m final sprint down the blue carpet. Hyvee saw Hunter Kemper knock off Andy Potts for the final Olympic berth on the Beijing team when there was only one spot left for the team and both superstars had to battle each other for the final spot. Danish triathlete Rasmus Henning won twice in HyVee and sold the hummer he won at the race because it was too hard to get it back home.

Emma, Tim and others had life-changing days in Des Moine. In the early days, it was THE PLACE TO BE.

While there were certainly exciting days after Hyvee parted ways with ITU, in my biased (personal) opinion, it was never the same. Never did you have 40 of the BEST men & WOMEN racing each other. No question in the last few years, there was certainly a great top 10 men & women's field, but the depth of field was never there in the last few years. Unfortunately, last year, the World Championships were in Edmonton the same day as HyVee, and Allistair, Javier, Gwen and Kirsten were all in Edmonton that day.

Thank you HyVee for thinking big and making an impact on the sport and the great athletes that showed up to race in Des Moine. You might have been the only race I have ever been to, that ever single pro who started the day, went home with a pay cheque and a sense that their efforts were valued, appreciated and compensated. I remember how hard your volunteers worked during the year of the flood (having to change the entire location and site in 4 days). You would have never known the city was under water as we raced 20km away at a new venue.

Hyvee's model is still the greatest model I have ever seen. The grocery store chain of 300 stores, using their signicant buying power/influence to have a dozen big companies (Pepsi, bread, sunblock, cereal, etc) paying very solid money to have better aisle space and TV, Radio, Newspaper exposure by being a sponsor of their event. With many products, all making better sales in their 300+ stores, there was many hands feeding the pot, and not just one big company. I am sure the resources that Hyvee used for the big-races, will now be re-directed to new physical activities for youth and local charties.

I am pretty sure, I would have never made a trip to Des Moine on my own, but numerous times, I made the trip to announce the Hy Vee race and be in awe of how hard, our great athletes raced for the biggest pay cheque of their lives. You will be missed HyVee. Thanks for some great memories and paying for the new homes of a half-dozen great athletes!

Note: These memories are my personal memories and do not represent ITU's official thoughts on the subject.

Barrie Shepley
Voice of the ITU
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barrie,

Great stories. Indeed, RIP.

The race also produced arguably the best finish photo ever for a triathlon race:

Photo - Delly Carr

Love the demonic look on Whitfield's face! Wow!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
Interesting. This email was sent out on February 3rd regarding awards from last years Hy-Vee race. At least they are planning on honoring these. Disappointing to see this race dissolve.

"Good morning Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to thank everyone for your patience for the past 4 months while we work on securing your gift cards won at the HY-Vee 5150 Championship race. We received notification the cards will be sent next week via fed ex to our office then mailed to your homes asap.

We understand your frustration through out this long process and appreciate your support.

Have a great week. "

That doesn't sound promising...
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Barrie,

The race also produced arguably the best finish photo ever for a triathlon race:

Photo - Delly Carr

Sadly, I was at that race and stayed for 2 run laps before my coach made me go to my team dinner. Missed the finish.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, Hy-vee didn't spend enough effort on how to spell Des Moines.

Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Feb 10, 15 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Sadly, I was at that race and stayed for 2 run laps before my coach made me go to my team dinner. Missed the finish.

Do you pay him or does he pay you? Serious question.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent today

"Greetings,

I am please to inform everyone your gift card awards are in the mail. I appreciate all of your patience during this difficult time.

Take Care and please contact us with any questions.

--
Michele Burke"
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Well it was free coaching at the time, so yes he was kind of the boss then

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Well it was free coaching at the time, so yes he was kind of the boss then

In that case, its a real bummer you missed the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only participated in this event for the past two years and was planning again for this year. Enjoyed it both years and appreciated the effort to make it a first class event. I'm sure local Des Moines businesses especially hotels and restaurants are/will be disappointed as well. It appears they have an aggressive store expansion plan in Minnesota and have heard they will be shifting marketing/promotion budget to perhaps a major sports sponsorship to help support these new Minnesota stores. But I won't miss the long day of travel to get there from Philly. On another note, does anyone have a another recommended OLY distance event for that weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Hy-Vee Triathlon? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Barrie,

Photo - Delly Carr

That indeed is a great photo. Watching it on youtube is awesome, that sprint for the line was one for the ages.

I would probably be making a face like that too if I just made $100,000 in just under 2 hours ;).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:
Sent today

"Greetings,

I am please to inform everyone your gift card awards are in the mail. I appreciate all of your patience during this difficult time.

Take Care and please contact us with any questions.

--
Michele Burke"

That is a welcome surprise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:

"Good morning Everyone,

Have a great week. "

Interesting. I received my card in October.

Quote | Reply
damn Kansas fans always getting special treatment :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next