Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP, Jobst Brandt
Quote | Reply
The industry lost another legend......author of the seminal work The Bicycle Wheel. Probably responsible for teaching more people how to build a wheel than anyone else, not to mention his work with Avocet back in the day.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a loss. In the dictionary next to "curmudgeon" is Jobst's photograph.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jobst is the guy who taught me to always question the "myth and lore" around cycling equipment.

RIP indeed.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jobst Brandt was indefatigable in precisely answering frequently asked questions and continuously rebutting myth and lore. Few today have the persistence he had. His book inspired my high school senior project, and I used his formula to create spocalc.xls. I'm very grateful to have been in a world he inhabited, and lucky to have met him on occasion.

RIP Jobst.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Jobst Brandt was indefatigable in precisely answering frequently asked questions and continuously rebutting myth and lore. Few today have the persistence he had. His book inspired my high school senior project, and I used his formula to create spocalc.xls. I'm very grateful to have been in a world he inhabited, and lucky to have met him on occasion.

RIP Jobst.

DR, an awesome tribute from a guy working in the field still.
me, i'm just a guy who once built a wheel and never did it since. but yes, an awesome book and an awesome contribution to the cycling commmunity. RIP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Thanks for letting us know; I hadn't heard. What an incredible loss for the industry - may he rest in peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike world just got a little dumber... RIP JB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for starting the tribute thread. RIP, Mr. Brandt
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

RIP Jobst.

RIP Jobst.

I remember an argument on r.b.t between you and Jobst, and how he eventually came around. I was impressed that you were able to hold your ground and explain yourself clearly -- and I was also impressed that he was, above all, someone who could be convinced by evidence. Lots of guys won't reconsider even when the proof is there. That episode raised my respect for both of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rip, book owner here.

Surely he is hanging out with Sheldon Brown now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This photo of Jobst had an enormous impact on me when I was younger:

Mark Chandler, Editor In Chief
GRAVELBIKE.com | ride everything
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lennyk wrote:
Rip, book owner here.

Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gravelbike's photo and yours are both awesome bits of cycling history.

Quote | Reply
RIP. I read his book when starting FLO. Great info for sure.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tis a shame.

Jobst and me were exchanging emails about how to make a bottom bracket power meter and he sort of disappeared. 4 years ago? Found out he'd had a bad cycling accident and stroke and hadn't heard from him since on the forums or anywhere.

Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, Avocet sold a crapton of tires because of that image.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sad to hear this news. I've had the book for, oh, more than 30 years now - that's pretty much how I learned to build wheels.

In later years, once Usenet was invented, Jobst used to post on rec.bicycles.tech. The phrasing was always interesting!

I will hoist a glass to his memory, and better yet to honor the man, "Ride Bike".
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:

RIP Jobst.

RIP Jobst.

I remember an argument on r.b.t between you and Jobst, and how he eventually came around. I was impressed that you were able to hold your ground and explain yourself clearly -- and I was also impressed that he was, above all, someone who could be convinced by evidence. Lots of guys won't reconsider even when the proof is there. That episode raised my respect for both of you.

remember that on r.b.t also, it was an admirable display of rational argument.

in the Orthodox church tradition, we say of the dead, may their memory be eternal.
As long as we ride bike wheels Jobst's memory will be..
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Jobst is the guy who taught me to always question the "myth and lore" around cycling equipment.

RIP indeed.

Yet I never understood his stance on bicycle helmets, which seemed entirely based on myth, lore and anecdotal evidence. His attitude that "they don't completely prevent head injuries, so why bother" seemed to defy the logic he brought to his other arguments.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markg wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

RIP indeed.

Yet I never understood his stance on bicycle helmets, which seemed entirely based on myth, lore and anecdotal evidence. His attitude that "they don't completely prevent head injuries, so why bother" seemed to defy the logic he brought to his other arguments.

Well...to be fair...we all have our "blind spots". Plus, the actual data on the subject is somewhat equivocal...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
The industry lost another legend......author of the seminal work The Bicycle Wheel. Probably responsible for teaching more people how to build a wheel than anyone else, not to mention his work with Avocet back in the day.

A man to be celebrated. I use his published information and reference his thoughts on bicycle dynamics and shimmy often.
RIP Jobst.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: RIP, Jobst Brandt [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
lennyk wrote:
Rip, book owner here.

Outstanding picture!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the book too. Its how I learned to build wheels. Not on board with no helmets. I've broke enough of them instead of my melon.

Jobst R.I.P.
Quote Reply