Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

REI Rewards & Garmin
Quote | Reply
Has anyone been able to successfully use the REI member rewards 20% discount on Garmin? The fine print says that GPS devices are excluded & if you try to buy online it won't apply the coupon, but I was curious if anyone was able to apply it in store?
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been able to use their 20% off coupon for Garmin products in their store.

I have been able to use the dividend though.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My dividend from last year is a whopping $4, so not a lot of savings there. I was hoping to find a way to use the 20% off on a 920.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 90% sure Garmin does not allow for stores to discount its products so there is that

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Garmin has MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) policies and restrictions on publicized discounts, but if a retailer wants to offer discounts on their site or in store, and they take due precautions to say that Garmin is excluded, they can still apply a store-wide discount. Usually a disclaimer as a soft restriction is enough to minimize abuse & keep a vendor off your back.

Of course, some retailers don't poke the bear with a short stick & abide by vendor restrictions religiously.

I work for a big box retailer & I used to manage all online promotions. You would be surprised how much or how little control some large companies have over how they can discount items or restrict certain discounts.
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to use a 20% one day discount on a Garmin 510 at Nashbar.com last summer so its possible to get a discount sometimes. I must admit I was a little surprised it worked but it did.

The REI coupon restriction is an REI thing and applies to "any item with GPS technology" and does not even mention Garmin. There is a whole list of exclusions for a host of product types (e.g "hard-shell boats"), not just GPS units.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a former REI employee, I can tell you that management always made sure we knew the exclusions for the coupons. Given the restrictions placed by Garmin as others have noted, I wouldn't hold out much hope for being able to use the coupon for a Garmin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the exclusion applies only to GPS devices of any manufacturer, and not specifically to just Garmin. I was successfully able to apply the REI rewards 20% discount to my Garmin Vectors last year. Saved a few hundreds.
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [applefritterz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got nearly $300 in rewards this year (put some home construction stuff on the cc). With the 20% off I'm looking at what to get. A few pairs of Cliftons and some nutrition is what I'm thinking.

This is straight from the link provided in the 20% off e-mail:

• Discounts not valid on hard-shell boats, stand up paddleboards, any item with GPS technology, activity trackers, personal locator beacons, action cameras, avalanche transceiver and airbag products, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Garmin or REI, but I was able to use the 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond to get a new espresso maker (even through the fine print said Breville products were excluded).

Ask an employee. If s/he says no, try again at the register.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to work for non-GPS Garmin products (including Vector)….
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [PDH72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
Not Garmin or REI, but I was able to use the 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond to get a new espresso maker (even through the fine print said Breville products were excluded).

Ask an employee. If s/he says no, try again at the register.

BB&B accepts their coupon on pretty much every and anything. I've never had them say no to a 20% off coupon... even years old

STP wrote:
I was able to use a 20% one day discount on a Garmin 510 at Nashbar.com last summer so its possible to get a discount sometimes. I must admit I was a little surprised it worked but it did.

The REI coupon restriction is an REI thing and applies to "any item with GPS technology" and does not even mention Garmin. There is a whole list of exclusions for a host of product types (e.g "hard-shell boats"), not just GPS units.

nashbar's 20% off order sales normally don't exclude garmins. short of buying used, waiting for a nashbar sale is generally the best way to get one.
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I've got nearly $300 in rewards this year (put some home construction stuff on the cc). With the 20% off I'm looking at what to get. A few pairs of Cliftons and some nutrition is what I'm thinking.

This is straight from the link provided in the 20% off e-mail:

• Discounts not valid on hard-shell boats, stand up paddleboards, any item with GPS technology, activity trackers, personal locator beacons, action cameras, avalanche transceiver and airbag products, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings.

I never understood this exception, unless it is just a carry over from when GPS things were very very expensive. So you can use the 20% off on $1400 garmin vectors but not a $120 garmin 10?
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:

This is the kind of "soft restriction" I was referring to. There are a ton of companies that say that there are restrictions on discounts in the fine print, but when they swipe them through, they process just fine. Last week I bought some jeans at Macy's. The coupon specifically excluded Levis. Sure enough, the coupon worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to REI today & I was so close to getting the 20% off the 920. When I went to the counter to ring up the watch, I told the guy that I wanted to use my single item 20% savings on it. He said "I know you can't use it on FitBit activity trackers. I'm not sure if Garmin counts as an activity tracker though." He called a manager & asked if it was OK to apply the discount & the manager, who happened to be standing 10 feet away, nixed him on it. He was pretty apologetic & said he couldn't do it.

It was worth a shot, and your mileage may vary at your local REI. The guy seemed like he wanted to apply the discount on it had the manager not been right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why bother with the 20% from REI? I am in NY so REI would also charge tax. So, find a 10% online discount with free shipping and no tax and its almost the same thing. (i think ny sales tax is around 8.7%)
Quote Reply
Re: REI Rewards & Garmin [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
Why bother with the 20% from REI? I am in NY so REI would also charge tax. So, find a 10% online discount with free shipping and no tax and its almost the same thing. (i think ny sales tax is around 8.7%)

That's the only reason I would even try a local retailer is if I can get 20% off. 10% pretty much negates the tax, so 20% off is just a little better than 10% off online. The problem is that I can't find a reputable known online store that has 10% off that won't charge me tax. Road Runner Sports has a 10% savings, but since they have stores in Georgia, ordering online saves me nothing because they charge me tax. Clever Training offers 10% off & no tax, after you pay $20 for their VIP membership.

If anyone knows an online retailer offering 10-20% off the 920 & with no tax to GA, I am all ears.
Quote Reply