Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

R&R Weeks- Reduce Frequency or Just Intensity/Duration
Quote | Reply
I'm using a classic periodisation model of 2-3 weeks build then 1 week recovery.

I usually swim/bike/run 3x each sport each week.

On my R&R rest week should I keep training 3x each week and just reduce the volume and intensity or should I reduce the workouts per week to 2x each?

I'm building up for an olympic distance event and train at most 10-11 hours per week.
Quote Reply
Re: R&R Weeks- Reduce Frequency or Just Intensity/Duration [kiwi nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of frequency so I'd go with option 1.

Many people seem to disparage the 3 week build/1 week rest week concept but I think it's fine if it works for you/keeps you physically and mentally fresh. They'll tell you to build recovery in to each week etc....

Since it is slowtwitch - I must throw in more suggestions and answer questions that you did not ask -

I vote you run more often even if it means you run shorter (and you should run shorter if you increase frequency).
10-11 hours is plenty for ANY distance.
I'd recommend you spend your intensity dollars on the bike. Swim - technique focus. Run - frequency focus.
Generic recommendations as I know absolutely nothing about you.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: R&R Weeks- Reduce Frequency or Just Intensity/Duration [kiwi nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a recovery week right now. I cut frequency in B & R but not swim since I enjoy the swim the most. I also cut intensity in R, and some in B, but raise a bit in S. For me it is just as important to rest the mind and get some more social time in, and cutting frquency really helps.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love duration, i do a lot of duration with enough recovery between no rest weeks
Quote Reply