Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quietest Bike Trainer
Quote | Reply
Bang for your buck what is the quietest bike trainer?

I currently have the Cycleops Fluid 2 and it tends to wake up the house during the early morning spin sessions.

Suggestions?

If I go the smart trainer route with erg mode I can imagine it is substantially quieter.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest Bike Trainer [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was reading about this a couple months ago. Sounds really cool. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ac-zero-trainer.html

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a noise perspective, erg mode has the advantage that you can keep speeds low (and thus the trainer quiet) and watts high. The absolute quietest trainer on the market, IMO, is the Tax Neo but it's also one of the most expensive. Noise/$ is a ratio I don't think I could properly give guidance on though I'd say definitely avoid the first generation Kickr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want as quiet as you can get, the STAC Zero is the droid you are looking for. There is no physical contact between any moving part of your bike and the trainer; resistance comes from a super strong magnetic field acting against your aluminum brake tracks. The only sound is your drivetrain and any wind noise your wheels make.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 5, 17 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest Bike Trainer [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
If you want as quiet as you can get, the STAC Zero is the droid you are looking for. There is no physical contact between any moving part of your bike and the trainer; resistance comes from a super strong magnetic field acting against your aluminum brake tracks. The only sound is your drivetrain and any wind noise your wheels make.

Anyone here have one?

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neo
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest Bike Trainer [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one, been using it since late February.
Mine is the power meter enabled version. Compares favourably to power meters and other power enabled trainers I've used.

It uses magnets, so no contact, no friction = no noise except for your drivetrain. Keep your drivetrain clean, and you reduce noise!

It does still generate floor vibration though. Much less than other trainers, but it can still be enough to bother sensitive downstairs neighbours. Even with a few layers of mats and padding, my neighbours complained a bit. They are hyper ultra sensitive though, so it might be fine for others. With the TV or music on (or thicker, properly built floors), there shouldn't be any issues.

I like that it is so light weight and folds small. Best trainer I've ever had.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest Bike Trainer [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
I have one, been using it since late February.
Mine is the power meter enabled version. Compares favourably to power meters and other power enabled trainers I've used.

It uses magnets, so no contact, no friction = no noise except for your drivetrain. Keep your drivetrain clean, and you reduce noise!

It does still generate floor vibration though. Much less than other trainers, but it can still be enough to bother sensitive downstairs neighbours. Even with a few layers of mats and padding, my neighbours complained a bit. They are hyper ultra sensitive though, so it might be fine for others. With the TV or music on (or thicker, properly built floors), there shouldn't be any issues.

I like that it is so light weight and folds small. Best trainer I've ever had.

Really sounds awesome. I listen to books on tape on the trainer but as a youngster I lost a fair amount of hearing so background noise is tough on me. I'd love to have a quieter trainer.

How the heck does the power meter functionality work? I looked around their site earlier today and there doesn't seem to be any details. The power meter function would need to know how much the magnetic flux lines was slowing down the wheel. Maybe it works because the trainer has not magnets, but electromagnets. Then there'd be an induced voltage proportional to the work done by the wheel. But my recollection is that this thing does not use electromagnets so that kills my theory.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Aug 5, 17 17:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I have no idea. You can position the magnet arms to increase or decrease tension, and the power readings adjust accordingly, so it's not like it has to be set up very specifically in order to work.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Really sounds awesome. I listen to books on tape on the trainer but as a youngster I lost a fair amount of hearing so background noise is tough on me. I'd love to have a quieter trainer.

How the heck does the power meter functionality work? I looked around their site earlier today and there doesn't seem to be any details. The power meter function would need to know how much the magnetic flux lines was slowing down the wheel. Maybe it works because the trainer has not magnets, but electromagnets. Then there'd be an induced voltage proportional to the work done by the wheel. But my recollection is that this thing does not use electromagnets so that kills my theory.

My understanding was there is a strain gauge in the arm that holds the resistance unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest Bike Trainer [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

My understanding was there is a strain gauge in the arm that holds the resistance unit.

Ah so. Those clever Canucks. Yes, I can see how that would work. This just gets cooler and cooler.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I was reading about this a couple months ago. Sounds really cool. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ac-zero-trainer.html

They had a booth at the Kingston Triathlon today with a competition to play guess your watts.

They said that the DCR article was based on a model a few iterations ago. I had a spin on it and it is definitely quiet. Not a peep out of the trainer. Seriously. Given that I also have a Cyclops fluid 2, which is prone to waking up my 3 year old, I'm seriously considering buying one.

Also, I suck at guessing my watts.
Last edited by: timbasile: Aug 5, 17 18:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chiming in, I have one as well. I got in originally to use it for my cyclocross bike to avoud the noise and wear problems with using knobby tires on rollers. It's definitely quieter than anything else I've used or seen. A minor nitpick is that it can be tricky to get aligned if the rear wheel is out of true, which I seem to have more often than not during cross season. Even still, definitely glad to have it and highly recommend it.

STAC talked in the past about ideas fpr another version that would support erg mode. I imagine they would electromagnets instead of the current permanent ones and keep the same power measurement setup. Not sure if this is still in the works, haven't heard anything in a long time. If they can do it, I think they've be in a strong position to take a lot of the smart trainer market. In the meantime, I've thought about trying to rig an old bar end shifter and a spring to control the spacing on the magnet. Never got around to it, too easy to just shift gears on the bike.
Last edited by: RunningChoux: Aug 5, 17 19:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neo by far.... Smart Trainer Noise Comparison - 35km/h Flywheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGICkxSdsk

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one also and it is really quiet. For low cadence high power work I still prefer my Fluid Trainer, but for higher cadence work it works really well. Some of that is just my preference.

The power meter also requires a magnet to be installed on the rear wheel. I do not use it even though it is on my, since I have P1 pedals, but the few times I have checked it they were surprisingly close, and moved together as the power changed.
Quote Reply
Re: Quietest Bike Trainer [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only care about smart trainers nowadays.... = Tacx NEO
Quote Reply