Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quick fix for Junior Gear restrictions in cycling
Quote | Reply
I am helping my nephew get a start in bike racing and I just realized he is subject to gear restrictions for sanctioned road races. His bike is a cross bike, so it has a 48 big ring. The smallest gear in back he can use is a 13 with the gear restrictions. However, the only cassettes I can get on short notice have a 12.

Will the refs let me lock out the smallest cog (crank in the set screw) so physically it passes the roll-out test? Or will there be issues with the fact that the bike could be modified to to cheat?
Quote Reply
Re: Quick fix for Junior Gear restrictions in cycling [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they will let you block those gears out.

They should also rollout the bike after the race (generally) to insure it meets the minimum.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick fix for Junior Gear restrictions in cycling [HOWSER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. You can block out gears, except for junior nationals.
In Reply To:

Jogging - I guess you just run for an extended period of time
Quote Reply
Re: Quick fix for Junior Gear restrictions in cycling [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a junior, and yes they will lock it out (unless it's a big deal race like nats of something of the other). Make sure that you get him smaller chainring or the correct cassette for the real deal races.

The most common gearing combo is 52x14 and it is what USAC recommends in their rulebook. Can't go wrong.

Hope he does well! Crit, RR,or TT?
Quote Reply