Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quick Training Peaks Question Re Structured Workout Builder
Quote | Reply
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...;utm_content=athlete

So I recently noticed that TP has a structured workout builder. My question is, could one use this workout builder to build a bike workout (say something simple like a 2x20 @95% FTP), export said workout to your Garmin, and then have the Garmin control your FE-C compatible trainer in erg mode (Kickr, Neo, etc)?
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Training Peaks Question Re Structured Workout Builder [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, in theory.

First of all it requires that you have a Garmin head unit that is capable of FE-C trainer control (i.e. only the Edge 520, 820 and 1000, I believe) and secondly you have to get the workouts on there, either day-by-day using the TrainingPeaks Connect IQ app, or do a manual bulk loading of them.

How well the Edge unit works in executing these workouts I can't say because I haven't tried it myself, but here's a thread that shows some of the difficulties involved. I know when importing a TrainingPeaks-built workout file onto my Garmin (either manually or through the app) the target Wattage you set in the TP workout builder will be converted from a point value (e.g. 200W) to a rather broad range (e.g. 180-220W) because that's how the Garmin's handle workout targets; I'm not sure how that would work with trying to control a trainer through ANT+ FE-C.

Call me cynical, but I'd be surprised if it works as well as you'd want it to...
Quote Reply