Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quick Clayton 2 review, and Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3 question
Quote | Reply
OK, first run today in the Clayton 2 to replace my Clayton 1's. Did 14 miles with varied intensity sets. I can say I'm quite happy with them so far. The arch of my feet from the Clayton 1's always felt like I might blister there, though I never did. Heard this was a common complaint of the 1's. Today did 14 miles out of the box with the 2's, and felt nothing there. Feet were just comfortable. Toe box had plenty of room. And nice to run with new non worn out soles. Thought the Hoka people out there might like to know

Now for my question. Thinking about a 2nd pair of Hokas for longer runs; ones with more of the traditional Hoka cushion. Was thinking Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3. My wife loves her Bondi 5's, but I've read some bad reviews on the Men's side, like the tongue cutting into the ankle. Any thoughts out there? Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Clayton 2 review, and Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3 question [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did my first 2 runs in the clayton 2, love them. Tongue is much better designed this time around.

I use a clifton as my road running shoe as my more cushioned hoka.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Clayton 2 review, and Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3 question [some_devil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some_devil wrote:
OK, first run today in the Clayton 2 to replace my Clayton 1's. Did 14 miles with varied intensity sets. I can say I'm quite happy with them so far. The arch of my feet from the Clayton 1's always felt like I might blister there, though I never did. Heard this was a common complaint of the 1's. Today did 14 miles out of the box with the 2's, and felt nothing there. Feet were just comfortable. Toe box had plenty of room. And nice to run with new non worn out soles. Thought the Hoka people out there might like to know

Now for my question. Thinking about a 2nd pair of Hokas for longer runs; ones with more of the traditional Hoka cushion. Was thinking Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3. My wife loves her Bondi 5's, but I've read some bad reviews on the Men's side, like the tongue cutting into the ankle. Any thoughts out there? Thx!

Would you say the toe box on the 2 is wider than the 1? I just got a pair of 1's and I'm feeling a bit of that blister issue on my right arch and finding myself wanting a tiny bit more width in the toe box. Wouldn't mind a bit more width in the midfoot too actually.

Spoke with HOO customer service and I might be able to warranty my 1 for the 2 and I'm thinking it might be good just to go for it.

Side note: I got two insoles with mine, Blue and Yellow Speed ones. They told me the yellow was the original that caused blisters and the blue was what they sent out as replacement. But I read somewhere else it was the other way around. Any idea?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the cushion of Hokas, but I've moved away from them due to the lack of durability. Seems like the outsole frays after only a few runs on every pair I've had (Cliftons, Bondis, Huakas).

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Clayton 2 review, and Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3 question [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The toe box on both the 1 and the 2 look about the same to me. I previously had Cliftons, and clearly the toe box is bigger in the Clayton than the Clifton.

There's now 135 miles on the Clayton 2, and I have not had any arch problems. Longest run in them so far is 16 miles. My Clayton 1 only came with the blue insole, and always nagged me a little on the arch. I think I blistered once there sockless in a race

I'm quite pleased with the 2, and plan on ordering a second pair to use in IM Santa Rosa
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Clayton 2 review, and Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3 question [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On all the Hokas I've owned, the outer heel sole is what quickly wears out for me. Even after the first run. I still feel that the shoes are worth it. I think my body will have better durability with the brand : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some_devil wrote:
The toe box on both the 1 and the 2 look about the same to me. I previously had Cliftons, and clearly the toe box is bigger in the Clayton than the Clifton.

There's now 135 miles on the Clayton 2, and I have not had any arch problems. Longest run in them so far is 16 miles. My Clayton 1 only came with the blue insole, and always nagged me a little on the arch. I think I blistered once there sockless in a race

I'm quite pleased with the 2, and plan on ordering a second pair to use in IM Santa Rosa

Thanks! I'm definitely going to try and warranty with them since it was a known issue with the 1. Hopefully the 2 will be that much better!
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Clayton 2 review, and Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3 question [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
I love the cushion of Hokas, but I've moved away from them due to the lack of durability. Seems like the outsole frays after only a few runs on every pair I've had (Cliftons, Bondis, Huakas).

While to the eye they do wear quite quickly, I'm nearing 1000 miles on a pair of Clifton 1's that are used strictly on my treadmill. The still seem fine to me, although my left outer heel is very well worn by this point.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy the Clayton 2's as well. I think the toe box isn't as wide as the 1's which is better for me. Heel cup and tongue are nicer as well. Why not just do all your runs in the clayton? I think the rest of the line are too squishy and you get "energy bleed."
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Clayton 2 review, and Bondi 5 vs Vanquish 3 question [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the direction I've gone with them. They seem to be fine for the long runs
Quote Reply