Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo
Quote | Reply
Do you training all year on the training tri bike and only race on the race bike? Or do you turbo on the race bike? Or.....

What's your preference ?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a tri bike that stays on the trainer all the time. It gets ridden several times a week during the winter and at least once a week during warmer weather. I have another tri bike that I ride outside for training and racing during the outdoor riding season and a also road bike that I ride outside occasionally.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old tri bike is on the trainer / turbo year round. I do most of my training on my road bike outside. I race on my new (3 years old) tri bike. Since I live in Southern California, I don't use the trainer too much. I did the Sufferfest Tour of Sufferlandia one year and several 10-20 week bump your FTP training programs over the past few years.

Riding outside is my preference.

Jed

"If you want to ride by the Force, you had better make sure that you are a real Jedi." - FastYellow (6/13/2011)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switch off here and there.

Riding outside by myself im on my race bike( straight 50 mile creek trail)

Riding in a Group im on my training bike.

I have two bikes total both are tri.

the bike on my trainer upstairs is my race bike.
Trainer bike in the garage.

I stopped watching spinervals, I am caught up on most tv shows.

Rain*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my old tri bike to train on. I alternate between having it on my computrainer and on rollers. I'd estimate that I do 95% of my training indoors. It's time efficient and safe :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a unique situation in that I work in SF but my family is in Phoenix (I commute back and forth every other weekend). My TT/Tri bike is in Phoenix so I ride that every other weekend. Tend to put in some harder workouts on it (30-40 miles on saturday and 40-50 miles on sunday with both rides at 20-21 mph steady ride). Weather is always good enough year round in phoenix so never on the trainer there (i also have a road bike there but rarely ride it). In SF, i have my other road bike and ride that 4 times a week (2 times on the trainer and 2 times outside with my long 70 mile ride once every two weeks on the weekend). I think one needs to spend time on the TT/Tri bike as you use your hip flexors and other muscles differently than on the road bike but I don't think every ride has to be on the TT/Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo [Rainstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to hijack the thread too much but a couple of related questions....

Just picked up a TT bike for racing on (my other bike is a standard road bike).

I wouldn't have considered making the TT bike my trainer bike but it has a crank based PM so it would be great to use power on the turbo.

Should I:
a) look at learning to transfer the PM between bikes and use the older roadie on the trainer
b) use the TT on the trainer

Is using the TT on the trainer going to damage it (sweat, wear and tear, need new tyres regularly)?
How difficult is it to switch a quark system between bikes for someone who knows very little about mechanics....

Ta,

Blog: http://www.coopstriblog.wordpress.com
Latest blog: Setting Goals. With or Without Gin.
Date: 10/31/2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a road bike and tt bike i use the road bike on the trainer, for daily commutes to town, and easier rides. I use the tt bike only when doing an intense ride outside
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jac2689 wrote:
I don't mean to hijack the thread too much but a couple of related questions....

Just picked up a TT bike for racing on (my other bike is a standard road bike).

I wouldn't have considered making the TT bike my trainer bike but it has a crank based PM so it would be great to use power on the turbo.

Should I:
a) look at learning to transfer the PM between bikes and use the older roadie on the trainer
b) use the TT on the trainer

Is using the TT on the trainer going to damage it (sweat, wear and tear, need new tyres regularly)?
How difficult is it to switch a quark system between bikes for someone who knows very little about mechanics....

Ta,

Depends on what you want power for? Provided the BB on your road bike is compatible with the crank swapping it will be relatively easy. Failing that power isn't too difficult to approximate on an indoor trainer due to the relatively stable resistance, kurtkinetic make something that works it out for their trainers if you have one. If not get your TT bike on the trainer with the wheel you'll be using, set the pressure to something repeatable and the resistance to something and don't change it. Then ride and get everything warmed up then do a power sweep of a useable wattage range recording power and rear wheel speed. Write down key power numbers as rear wheel speeds and leave it near the turbo. Then use your road bike and keep the rear wheel speed to the power required using your conversion chart. If you keep tyre pressure and resistance constant (check every ride) it shouldn't be too inaccurate. You may want to recalibrate every once in a while particularly going from a very cold winter to a very hot summer but fluid T in the trainer should be dominated by heat rejection from shear friction so it will have only a small effect if you warm everything up.

Having said that if you're planning on doing your difficult sessions on a turbo use the TT bike, you want to be comfortable making power in the aero position.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Re: Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo [Iain Gillam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use my road bike on the rollers and my TT bike on the fluid trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo [Rainstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the training tri bike if group? Just curious
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am more comfy on my training bike its better fitted.
Training bike has aluminum brake surface
Training bike can take a crash. I usually ride in the back of a 20 person group.
Cervelo p3 training bike. Felt da racing bike.

Rain*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my old/ first road bike permanently on the trainer. I use my newer road bike for most of my outdoor riding and my TRI bike for racing and key training sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:
I have my old/ first road bike permanently on the trainer. I use my newer road bike for most of my outdoor riding and my TRI bike for racing and key training sessions.

What he said, except its my wifes old/first road bike with funky seat post and stem so my contact points are good - I wouldn't try to ride it on the street.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a racing tri bike (carbon fiber, etc.) that I only take out a few weeks before a race to get tuned in. the bike I use on my computrainer is dedicated to that and has very similar fit as my race bike except it is aluminum and ultegra not dura-ace. I spend most of my time training on a mt bike. Ii is safer and It takes less distance to get my workout done.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those with a training tri bike and a race bike...and a turbo [bcendrars456] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcendrars456 wrote:
I have a racing tri bike (carbon fiber, etc.) that I only take out a few weeks before a race to get tuned in. the bike I use on my computrainer is dedicated to that and has very similar fit as my race bike except it is aluminum and ultegra not dura-ace. I spend most of my time training on a mt bike. Ii is safer and It takes less distance to get my workout done.

My dilemma

Have a trek 2.5 on the trainer and race on a 9.5 positions identical. The weather just now in Scotland is more unstable :) than normal but Im enjoying going out on the road bike. I now need to get out on for longer rides I aero position. But don't want to use the race bike for my extended commutes as roads are still crap.

I have powertap training wheel with turbo tyre for turbo indoor work and one for outdoor training that's on road bike.
is it better to swap the wheels when using the 2.5 outdoor, cassette is different? Or is it better to put a road tyre on the turbo Powertap for using on both turbo and outdoor?
Quote Reply