Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case
Quote | Reply
I want to first start off that my background is in Sports Medicine and usually practice eveidence based medicine and have reviewed probably 100+ articles related to the IT band. I am now seeking the athletes insight to help my case. I have a constant battle of my Sports Medicine Angel and Athlete Devil going on in my head for about the past 20 days.

Little background information. I am 28 y/o male 6ft 220lbs former collegiate football player making he transition to Triathalon with the challenge of doing my first Ironman August 2012. My Active and Passive Range of motion is horrible. Hip strength is also poor.

3 weeks ago I developed pain during running on lateral aspect of knee was able to finish that 5 mile tempo run. Next running session left me walking back to my car I was stopped with excruciating pain felt like someone was hammering a nail into Gerdy's Tubercle on my anterior Tibia. I automatically started reflecting and remember feeling the tight clicking feeling without pain on my lateral knee over the past few weeks. (shake it off and perform a quick quad stretch). The light bulb kind of went off that I the person that usually fixes this sorta thing was actually injured and suffering from ITB friction syndrome. I was able to continue biking and running without pain.

I jumped into panic mode and took the shotgun approach and through my best knowledge at it. Foamroller brought me to tears, my abductors are crying from fatigue, hit a chiro that does Graston and a massage therapist for some deep tissue MFR and hit my traditional modalities of Ultrasound, E-Stim etc. I started doing Hip PRE and following a traditional rehab protocol. Gave it some rest and fell into the classic case of it not getting any better. I took off my nametag and had one of the non-surgical sports med ortho's take a look (they are usually more creative). Well he didn't think it was too bad gave me a prescription compounded topical and diclofenac 75mg BID. I was skeptical gave it 10 days ( he really wanted me to give it 3 weeks) and I tried to run. It was getting worse couldn't even run two miles. I put my name on the end of the list as another non-surgical doc was seeing my athletes and he said lets stop messing around with this and do an ultrasound guided injection. This is what I wanted to hear. So that was about 3 days I got a pretty good cortisone flare the first 48hrs (which is usually a good sign) I am now ready to test it out and this is where the devil and angel are battling. I am still symptomatic Tender to palpation over the lateral condyle and get some "clicking" I was planning to ride and swim as it has never caused any pain biking or swimming but I do I know that these activities put me into the repetitive irritant of 10-30 degree flexion zone.

So all that to get to this question:

For those athletes that have suffered and recovered from this before: When did you know you could start running again? What did you feel? any other insight from the athletes perspective?

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [prosh8905] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 When did you know you could start running again? It took a while, but at first it was 5 min pain free, then a few days later 10 min, then a couple of days later, 2-3 days of 5-7 min in a row, then a couple of back to back 10-15min runs.

Of course it took me 13 months to get to that point. I'd test it out every Saturday morning. Had a short 5 min loop around the house. Took me ~ 8 months before the pain was low enough that I could run the whole thing. Another 5 before I was pain free.

What did you feel? Pain in the knee. I also had noticeable swelling along the ITB.

any other insight from the athletes perspective? It sucks, I've had 3 bouts with it. The first two were in college and in 2 weeks I was fine. The third bout changed me. I used to run pigeoned toed. My right leg now has a slight duck footed stance to it. It forever (so far) changed the way I run. Also I had taken ~ 1.5 years off of running, inflamed the ITB within 3 months of returning. My run speed was never the same. I think I broke 36 x2 after, before hand I was breaking 35 with out thinking about it. My half times were ~5minutes slower as well. I finally figured out that, or my massage person did, I had adhesions in my glutes and the origination point of the ITB. Some painful therapy and 13months later, good as new. Still have some pain once in a bit, but I now know to get the knots out of my ass and roll the crap out of my leg. Typically it happens starting up the season again after some time off when I've lost fitness and had a significant decrease in my mileage for an extended period of time.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [prosh8905] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been struggling with ITBS since March. Welcome to our little unhappy family. It sucks.

I had a cortisone injection after 8 weeks of rest / PT. I was instructed not to run for one week following the injection. I then resumed with a 3 mile run and was elated, thinking I had solved the problem. Doc said that there was some inflamtion in my bursa sac that no PT or massage therapy was gonna get to.

Fast forward 6 weeks and it flares up again (early August). I have been to see my ortho twice but no additional injections since there is no tenderness at the bursa sac.

I am now doing a difffernt set of leg exercises designed to better isolate my glutes / hip muscles. My doc thinks I may have been using my other leg muscles / hip muscles in the exercises I was doing to compensate. we'll see....

But you gotta get to the root problem, which is likely week hip muscles. A cortison injection may resolve the symptoms, but it won't solve the cause. Do a search on the board for tigerchik's hip exercises. Very helpful. And just do a search on ITBS....lots of threads about it.

Good luck.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITBS and plantar fasciitis have been my on and off companions for the better part of the last 15 years, and in my own experience they never really go away...always do they lurk if I do not work on controlling the underlying causes.

For me, it's a daily dose of the foam roller with particular concentration on my hips, and being careful not to overuse any single pair of shoes or any single type of surface. Running on pavement tends to worsen both conditions for me. I've never taken any considerable amount of time off--with one exception, about 20 years ago when I had my one and only operation to clean up some bone fragments in my ankle...was suffering a nasty case of PF during that time; had to take about 6 weeks off and when I started back running, the friggin PF was still there. Moral to that story was that I did not do anything to treat the PF during that off time, so it never went away.

So it's a continual battle of prevention and monitoring the first symptoms if and when they do occur.

You describe yourself as basically inflexible and with poor hip strength...fix those issues and you will be well on your way to handling the ITBS.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Welcome to our little unhappy family. It sucks.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Wish I did my preventative work ahead of time instead of playing catch up now.
I have treated this condition hundreds of times as a clinician. Completely different scenario as an athlete and the one hurt. I always thought that "they" should always be able to just fight through it. Yeah right!!! Gave me an entire new prespective on my athletes. Def gonna be a little more empathatic moving forward.

Power13 mine was bursitis as well. We hit the lateral condyle bursae putting about 3 units above the IT band and put a good amount of fluid in the insertion point as well. Symptoms down = my fear up. Playing it safe as I have a long time until my event (August) and hitting my rehab.

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the tensor fasciae latae (TFL)

I had a rather annoying itb issue that would not go away until I figured out that the problem was 18" away from the part that hurt like hell. Rolling and stretching the TFL fixed the problem in about 2-3 days (after 2-3 months of pain)
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not intending to hijack but I had a PT friend recommend using PVC pipe in lieu of foam once you're at the "prevention" stage. I've been focused on cycling for the past few so my running hours have been minimal (2/wk) but have had good luck to date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an ITB issue this past spring and it sucked! i immediately thought the worst but it ended up just taking some stretching and recovery time. I visited an ART practitioner 3 times a week for 2 months and tried running easy ever few days as well as hitting the foam roller/lax ball a few times a day. as a few other people have said here, i was able to run pain free at first for a few minutes and grew until i was 100%. everyday i tried to run id get so excited cuz i was able to run longer but would be crushed soon with the killer pain in my knee and walking back. I highly recommend getting ART work done. I believe it helped tremendously to speed my recovery along.
good luck. be patient
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi my name is Damian and I am a recovering ITBS sufferer. I had ITBS for part of last summer, undertreated it during the fall, overtreated it during the winter and gave it a total break during the spring. Only the total break allowed the inflammation to go down to the point I could start training again. I did all of the things you have read about to make it better - in short, nothing worked. I am a physician and read every article, spoke to multiple orthopods and almost had surgery. I finally did 2 months of intensive couch sitting and then came back with short 10 min runs and added 5 minutes a week until I hit my previous weekly mileage. I am fairly convinced my ITBS was due to my bike position even though the worst pain was experienced on the run. I am now three weeks from IM AZ. I just finished a 300 mile bike week and have done multiple runs in the 18-20 mi range during my build up. I don't think this would have been possible without the total break from all activity. Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"For those athletes that have suffered and recovered from this before: When did you know you could start running again? What did you feel? any other insight from the athletes perspective?"

I had one really bad bout of ITBS in 2005. I took ~3 months off from running; resting the first month, and doing water-running the next two. I knew I could start running again when *I felt no pain at all* in the ITBS.

I've had some mini-bouts since. Every time I get impatient and try to run before it's stopped hurting, I seem to get re-injured for a while. So I've learned to wait for the pain to disappear entirely before taking my chances.

Patience. Bike. Swim. Water-run if it does not seem to strain the ITB. You have a lot of time before your IM. The worst thing is to panic about your Ironman schedule and re-injure yourself.

When you do start running, try soft surfaces (trails) and limit the downhill running.

- Oleander

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same story, different guy.

Flared up because of a massive volume increase on the bike (spring break trip to Florida = way too many miles). That was 2 years ago. I tried to fight through it for about a month and it only got worse. The HMO wasn't able to get me to a therapist until a month later (with 1 month before my HIM). They did a good job, so I got refitted on my bike and forgot about it.

Again, this year, massive mileage on the bike (compared to my winter/school year miles) and it flares up. Kept me from 'racing' most of my races. Excruciating pain.

So, enough about me:

You should probably give it a day or two PAST whatever your docs say. And in the two weeks following, I would only do 'light' runs/bikes. It may suck but at least you're maintaining (you're not getting slower). You will be slower if you don't take the proper time off. Believe me, it sucks to be stuck indoors, getting fat :(
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Oleander. When your pain went away did you have any non painful clicking, fullness, tightness etc...? I guess the real question is most ITB pain only presents during the aggrivating activity with an insidious onset and is quite excruciating bringing the runner to a crawl. Since it is often not painful walking, biking etc... any signs that you were ready?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents: I switched to Pose method and my ITBS went away almost immediately. On the other hand, for a year and a half I then had intermittent bouts of foot and achilles injuries during high-mileage periods. Eventually, my form improved and/or my lower legs got stronger, so no issues now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first time I got ITBS I continually made the mistake of trying to run on it too quickly, and just ended up back at square one. It's not something you can push through, and by the time you feel it the damage is done. I did lots of ice at first and then alternating ice/heat, along with some massage (this is pre-foam rollers). After a few days I could swim without making it worse, after a week I could bike without making it worse (if it feels worse post workout you're not ready for that workout yet)...but running even a few miles at that point would ruin everything because the inflammation was still there to a degree. Finally I just committed to three weeks w/o running and just hit the bike and pool hard; viola then I could run with no issues.

A few years ago I was at the turn around of a 10 mile out-and back training run when I felt that telltale twinge. Being older and wiser, I didn't try to HTFU and finish the run (which I could have done and would have a few years earlier), but put my tail between my legs and walked the five miles back. I stuck to biking/swimming for a week and was fine (since I had minimized the initial irritation).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in my late 30s, 6'0, 200 lbs and played NCAA tennis. I was an avid runner when I started to experience the IT band issue about 10 years ago. My running went from 6 miles, to 4 miles, to 2 miles, to about 15 minutes no matter what speed I ran when I felt the pain on the side of my knee. If I ran more than once a week it quickly returned. About once a year I would try to run again, but the pain quickly returned. I could still bike, swim, play tennis, lift weights, elliptical, or anything else EXCEPT for running.

Last year I wanted to try triathlons and wondered if I could "sneak" by the run portion on the sprints through elliptical workouts and other means of exercise for the run without having to run. So I started reading a lot and talking to people about the IT band to reduce the issue. After doing three types of stretches daily, not only has the IT issue reduce it is gone. I competed 6 triathlons this year up to the Olympic distance, ran a 1/2 marathon last month, and I am signed up for a 70.3 in December.

First I started icing my knee and taking Ibuprofen to reduce inflammation. The three stretches consist of 1) the foam roller, from knee to hip for a good 30 seconds to a minute, 2) a stretch on my back with my knee across the other leg (hard to describe) and 3) a stretch on my stomach while I bring my knee up to my chest laying face down.

I no longer ice or take ibuprofen and the IT band no longer hurts. I don’t know exactly when it stopped hurting because I was trying many different things. But the current combination of these three allow me to run every other day for up to two hours at a time while still cycling and swimming. The stretches are the key, I can feel them stretch near my hip flexor.

Send me a PM if you want more details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a PT or a chiropractor in your area that is working with cold laser therapy... relatively new technology that does wonders for getting you back on the road!!!!!

Look into the TP Massage (TriggerPoint) products for working the knots out of the tight areas. They may seem expensive or too good to be true, but they work (!!) and that's what you are looking for! These products are excellent for the injury that you mention. I tried to mimic them at home for over a year before breaking down and buying -- the big orange roller is well worth the investment (about $40). http://tptherapy.com/...oducts/the-grid.html

Train your glutes with walking lunges, straight-legged dead lifts (not too heavy) and the whole hip region, including abductors and adductors! It will change the way your ITB tracks.

Have your stride and shoes checked out. You may be pronating or suppinating, which could cause either injury. A new (different) pair of shoes and/or over-the-counter inserts may do the trick.

Stretch the heck out of your entire legs and lower back. Do NOT try to run through this injury... you may need 1- 3 months off along with the the rehab before being ready to run again -- not what you want to hear but I learned the hard way. Don't keep going out to "test" the leg, either, to see if you are healthy again -- just prolongs the repairs.

Ray

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spent about a year battling ITBS. It would feel better, then come right back, pretty much regardless of the rest period.

Its a little different, and I was very skeptical, but I ended up visiting an Egoscue clinic about an hour away. They specialize in correcting postural imbalances and weakness through very specific exercises and stretches. So it tackles issues like hip weaknesses and imbalances. For me it wasn't so much weaknesses, but major imbalances both in my hips and shoulders. It took a good 4-5 months to get those corrected. But with that, and a proper slow re-entry into running, I havn't had an issue since. Its been well over a year now. Also did ART and Graston before that, didn't see too much improvement for my issues. Also had a cortisone injection, did nothing at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I had a bad case in Apr/May 2010 from bike racing. Pain was often 7-8/10 during warm up and then after hard rides and races.

Tried stretching, foam roller, etc with no results for 3-4 weeks.

Picked up some KT tape on a whim and used their "IT knee" technique on their website. Pain cut in half immediately, gone in the next week. Still gone when I took the tape off. No fit changes or any thing else in the meantime.

I realize yours is more of a running issue and mine was bike, but it was a pretty nice use of my $12 :)

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks as if we had identical backgrounds, be it 12 years ago. No at 40 I have learned a few things in the process. If anyone suggests surgery run (or get carted the opposite direction as quick as possible) because it is not the way to go. My struggle is not over and it occasionally flares up again, now I know why it flares up though. For me it was a combination of inflexibility of glutes, hamstrings and hip flexors. I was administered cortizone a few times before races so I could do the race without pain but that was never addressing the problem, only masking it.

The fix... I dropped weight and got down to 200lbs through increased swimming volume, and made an attempt to fix the flexibility issue. Everyday I stretched to lengthen the ligaments and muscles associated with the IT band and it seemed to take care of it. I continued to water run (as long as I could stand it) throughout the winter of season. Pain was all but gone in the spring and returned to road running. No more nail being driven under the kneecap. I just have to keep up on the stretching.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Physiojoe925 wrote:
For what it's worth, I had a bad case in Apr/May 2010 from bike racing. Pain was often 7-8/10 during warm up and then after hard rides and races.

Picked up some KT tape on a whim and used their "IT knee" technique on their website. Pain cut in half immediately, gone in the next week. Still gone when I took the tape off. No fit changes or any thing else in the meantime.

I realize yours is more of a running issue and mine was bike, but it was a pretty nice use of my $12 :)

-Physiojoe

I have tried every method they list for treating IT (there are 4 or 5, I think) and none of them have worked for me. I keep trying it, but zero effect for me.

I'm gonna try Rocktape as well in my quest to try and and everything possible to improve it.

FWIW, I have yet to have anyone explain to me how a tape which neither provides support or restrictcs movement actually provides any benefit. I asked my ART guy the question the other day and his response was "If I punch you in the shoulder, you'd rub it to make it feel better. It is kinda like that."

Uhhh...no it isn't.

But plenty of people swaer by it. Maybe I'm just using the wrong color.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Physiojoe925 wrote:

-Physiojoe

I have tried every method they list for treating IT (there are 4 or 5, I think) and none of them have worked for me. I keep trying it, but zero effect for me.

I'm gonna try Rocktape as well in my quest to try and and everything possible to improve it.

FWIW, I have yet to have anyone explain to me how a tape which neither provides support or restrictcs movement actually provides any benefit. I asked my ART guy the question the other day and his response was "If I punch you in the shoulder, you'd rub it to make it feel better. It is kinda like that."

Uhhh...no it isn't.

I have done this taping on my athletes many of times. I use it more as reminder tape and tape at the Gluteus Medius (which is usually the culprit in this condition) the proprioceptors in the skin are stimulated by the tape and help the athlete keep more normal biomechanics and neuromuscular firing pattern of the hip musculature.

They do have some IT band "Cho pat" straps which basically choke the IT band proximal to the lateral femoral condyle and somewhat reduce movement during contraction of the TFL (not the biggest fan of these)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Uhhh...no it isn't.

Depends on the specific technique and yes people swear by it (remember placebo is 20%!). Techniques can open lymphatic systems and improve the clearance of swelling, thereby decreasing pain due to inflammation. Some techniques also improve the muscle firing patterns by facilitating certain muscle groups. It is not about support from tape, it is all about facilitating what you have. There are some techniques that will provide a small amount of bracing, but this is more about facilitating as well.

To the OP: you state you work in the 'sports medicine' world. I do as well as a PT and I find a separate PT to look at me and recommend treatment. It is hard to treat yourself even if you know 'all the information'. Yes I am biased, but I do believe in PT. A good PT will do manual therapy (ART, etc), exercise and stretching, and give you guidelines for recovery. Have you looked at your hip, Hamstrings, foot structure, muscular balance, gait, cadence, core strength, bike fit, etc, etc. Just ideas.

In my experience it is more than just rolling the crap out of your ITB. And IMHO ITB friction syndrome is a catch all diagnosis for all lateral knee/hip pain.

Dana

Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridana wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Uhhh...no it isn't.

Depends on the specific technique and yes people swear by it (remember placebo is 20%!). Techniques can open lymphatic systems and improve the clearance of swelling, thereby decreasing pain due to inflammation. Some techniques also improve the muscle firing patterns by facilitating certain muscle groups. It is not about support from tape, it is all about facilitating what you have. There are some techniques that will provide a small amount of bracing, but this is more about facilitating as well.

To the OP: you state you work in the 'sports medicine' world. I do as well as a PT and I find a separate PT to look at me and recommend treatment. It is hard to treat yourself even if you know 'all the information'. Yes I am biased, but I do believe in PT. A good PT will do manual therapy (ART, etc), exercise and stretching, and give you guidelines for recovery. Have you looked at your hip, Hamstrings, foot structure, muscular balance, gait, cadence, core strength, bike fit, etc, etc. Just ideas.

In my experience it is more than just rolling the crap out of your ITB. And IMHO ITB friction syndrome is a catch all diagnosis for all lateral knee/hip pain.

Dana

Yeah Dana,

I left out the specifics to spare the majority of the forum goers the medical jargon but since you asked.

My Dx would be lateral femoral condyle/ Gerdy's Tubercle bursitis, which does fall under that general umbrella of ITBFS. The IT band itself looked good with no thicking when we did the Musculoskeletal US during the procedure for the guided injection. 8 units was injected in two seperate portals. 1 at Gerdy's tubercle under the IT band and filling over the distal 4 cm. The second injection traveled trough the it band into the femoral condyle bursa and then filled over the ITB.

- Trendelenburgs test statically + Ober's + Nobles- Mcmurray's - for all clinical laxity stress tests Thomas test indicates restrictions in psoas and rectus etc etc... can barely get my leg into a patrick FABRE test due to tightness my piriformis hates me. strength is 5/5 in all directions with noted weakness in Hip flex, Hip flexion with ext rot. and basically all other directions. So yes this is a hip problem for me. Greater Trochanteric Bursa has palpable edema accumulation. TFL is TTP from origin to the musculotendinous junction.

Postural: Left foot has noted navicular drop during fiess line or navicular drop test when compared bilaterally. Functional leg length discrepancy that has been adjusted at the SI by a chiro and has held pretty well.

Core strength - noted weakness in posterior and lateral musculature and have been targeting it appropriately

Bike fit - professionally fit

I agree with the comment on manual. I was desperate and went to a massage therapist today and asked them what the origin and insertion for the piriformis was before I started my session. As they stared with a blank absent look on there face I walked out. The foam roller can only do so much and is barely even a start . btw ever see the plunger technique? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwtw7-GUK6I no I have not tried it but I do kind of like the philosophy.

I should have done a lit review from all of the articles I have reviewed recently. But the PT minus the good manual (my number one person is not available right now) is on point and targeting all problem areas.

Really wasnt trying to turn this into another what to do for ITB thread. Just looking for insight on subjective information from people that have recovered. I love the stories of shared frustration and welcoming to the family.... yes this sucks....

Last edited by: prosh8905: Oct 30, 11 17:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional info...guess i missed the point of your original post! In that spirit - I too have suffered! Mostly Right knee, however at times, bilaterally. 2 weeks before my first marathon I could hardly walk. I had lateral release (manual therapy technique) done - basically think of a PT trying to stick his thumb through the lateral aspect of your knee, then leaning a little more! Hurt like hell, but I ran the marathon, except the down hills per instructions, and didn't have ANY knee pain.

As you know, by the time you get to bursitis, things have been wrong for awhile. This isn't going to get fixed in a short time. Don't rush. Do your stretching - get your hip flexibility improved (also to avoid hip issues down the line) and take heart that you have time to train. The advice that I keep hearing...actually listen to your body. Two random tapings I have found help (not 100% on why): low-dye taping for the foot and McConnel taping for the knee...again only symptom management, but sometimes can really help to start to get you back, which for me mentally is often a huge thing.

We spend so much time preaching what we know...sometimes we have to listen. I am a chronic instability kid...just out of the sling from my second R shoulder surgery to hopefully prevent the chronic dislocations, chronic instability at the SI, spondy in my back....Hang in there! My surgeon just informed me that just because I know rehab does not mean I heal faster....I was SHOCKED! :)

Hope you are feeling better soon!
Take care

Dana

Re: Question for those who have recovered from a tough ITB case [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dana, thanks for the input. Since you mention "specific technique", if you don't mind, I would like your input on the following videos / taping methods. KT tape seems to ahve 4 or 5 different methods, while RockTape has theirs, etc.

Also, do you believe it is possible for the patient to tape themselves, or assistance mandatory? Many of the techniques call for the IT / leg to be in adduction, but is the benefit of that lost if the patient has to lean up to perform the taping?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3FSPx8TEtA

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Any input /insight appreciated. I've been struggling this for so long and am not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. ART, Graston, foam rolling, PT, rest....you name it, I've done it. Nada.

Quote Reply

Prev Next