Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant
Quote | Reply
I guess essentially this is yet another 'can I KQ' thread. What I am looking for is some input from guys that are fairly regularly getting to Kona in M35-39 and what sort of splits they put down in Tremblant. I am considering attempting to qualify next year, and just looking for some feedback whether my times from Tremblant are in the ballpark of guys who can usually make the cut, and even use them as a gauge of where I need to get to in order to have a shot.

I had a pretty solid race, pretty much came in close to the times I was expecting at 4:28. 27:15 swim, 2:28 on the bike (legit - no drafting, IF of 0.82), and a 1:27:30 run. Bike I was hoping to be a little closer to 2:26 (although bestbikesplit basically told me I had no chance in hell, but I didn't believe it!), but ended up being about 10 watts lower on the power that I planned. I attacked a few of the packs in the first 30k of the race and I think the power spikes took a little too much out of me. Felt the quads twinging on the Duplessis and decided to take it easy to try and keep them from cramping up. I had hoped to run around 1:25 on the regular course, so I feel like my run time was on target considering they more than doubled the elevation gain of the standard course.

So, my question is - do these splits point towards me having a decent shot? Not sure which race yet - Muskoka is close, I know the course inside out, is an easy drive, but timing sucks. CdA, and Whistler have much better timing, but logistically are much tougher.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't KQ'd yet (missed by 7 sec last year), but anyone going sub 4:30 on that course at Tremblant should be in pretty good shape in regards to a KQ as long as the proper IM training is done.

For someone in your position, I'd really focus on the bike over the winter to get into an even better position. Also, I'd strongly discourage you from racing at IMMT next summer! ;)

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at those times on an honest course like Tremblant, my gut says it is pretty reasonable. You don't have any real low hanging fruit with those splits, but if you plan on racing a hilly course, try getting comfortable pushing a little too hard then settling into aerobic endurance and recovering there.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate, great bike you threw down in Tremblant. You came flying by just before the big climb on the highway, and by the time we got to St. Jovite you were out of sight! If I could ride like you it would be a no-brainer for me to go for a spot. I noticed you looked like you were fighting an injury (I think you mentioned IT band on your blog) when I passed you again just before the 2nd turnaround in the old village. I threw out a couple words of encouragement - not sure if you heard me or not. Anyways, great race, good luck at IMMT next year, I won't be there, but I am happy to see you settled on that race because IIRC you had mentioned thinking about doing Muskoka next year in that thread.

The bike is definitely where I have the most to gain. I feel like this year I could have quite comfortably swam about 57, and run sub 3:20, its just getting that bike into the low 5hr range that will be the biggest challenge for me. It seems no matter what I do I have trouble getting my FTP past 3.9-4 w/kg - which is probably enough if I do the proper training to allow me to ride at .75 and still feel good for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:
I guess essentially this is yet another 'can I KQ' thread. What I am looking for is some input from guys that are fairly regularly getting to Kona in M35-39 and what sort of splits they put down in Tremblant. I am considering attempting to qualify next year, and just looking for some feedback whether my times from Tremblant are in the ballpark of guys who can usually make the cut, and even use them as a gauge of where I need to get to in order to have a shot.

I had a pretty solid race, pretty much came in close to the times I was expecting at 4:28. 27:15 swim, 2:28 on the bike (legit - no drafting, IF of 0.82), and a 1:27:30 run. Bike I was hoping to be a little closer to 2:26 (although bestbikesplit basically told me I had no chance in hell, but I didn't believe it!), but ended up being about 10 watts lower on the power that I planned. I attacked a few of the packs in the first 30k of the race and I think the power spikes took a little too much out of me. Felt the quads twinging on the Duplessis and decided to take it easy to try and keep them from cramping up. I had hoped to run around 1:25 on the regular course, so I feel like my run time was on target considering they more than doubled the elevation gain of the standard course.

So, my question is - do these splits point towards me having a decent shot? Not sure which race yet - Muskoka is close, I know the course inside out, is an easy drive, but timing sucks. CdA, and Whistler have much better timing, but logistically are much tougher.

Cheers

I say you are definitely in KQ range, but your bike is relatively weak given the engine on display in the swim and run. You're bike should be closer to 2:22 on that course given what you can swim and run. So I agree with Nate, up the bike training this winter. I bet you that Muskoka ends up being one of the best races to KQ for a number of reasons:

1. Close to Kona...fast guys want to KQ earlier
  2. Same weekend as Austria 70.3 WC taking some fast guys there, or as a bare minimum, some fast guys will want to qualify elsewhere so they can do Austria and Kona
  3. You seems to be a strong runner, and the Muskoka bike course will shred run legs.
  4. Don't pick Tremblant to KQ. There is too much drafting and a lot of folks end up with fast marathons on account of sitting in packs. Muskoka and Whistler everyone has/will have shredded legs, which means your run strength should truly shine and not get diluted by people who sat in packs passing you on fresh legs. Don't get me wrong, I love Tremblant, but the packs are getting out of hand at the 140.6. At the spring 70.3 with good wave spacing the packs are much less. The problem with the Tremblant course is that tough elevation comes too late, so the packs don't break up till loop 2. Kind of like the old IMC Penticton with massive packs down to Richter pass.
  5. I got to ride almost all of the 140.6 there solo with a fast enough swim and transition to get out ahead...but people swimming 5-10 min slower got into the prime time train. You will be frustrated at Tremblant, because your swim will be 6 min faster than mine, be totally solo on the bike and have massive groups chasing you down on the bike riding at 100W at 45-50 kph doing nothing.

All this to say, do Muskoka or Whistler. I can't comment about IMCDA, but it is early enough that you will have more studs trying to punch their KQ ticket early. I think Muskoka offers the best odds for you, the least amount of drafting possible (also will have less people to start with) and finally many studs who are over in Austria.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words on lap #2! ITB issues since Feb limited me to a max of 20 mpw and an hr long run. My focus for next year will be getting that run fitness and speed back.

Muskoka could be a good course - the bike will be challenging. I rode a 2:35 for the half last yr and that was right near the top of AG rides. The full won't be quite as hilly due to course configuration, but there are very few flat sections - hopefully it won't be longer than 180k (the 70.3 bike was actually around 58.5 miles). I imagine a bike split of around 5:10-5:20 will be where most guys looking for a KQ will ride. Overall times will definitely be slower than IMMT. Your run strength would help you at Muskoka as it's also quite a hilly run.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Thanks for the kind words on lap #2! ITB issues since Feb limited me to a max of 20 mpw and an hr long run. My focus for next year will be getting that run fitness and speed back.

Muskoka could be a good course - the bike will be challenging. I rode a 2:35 for the half last yr and that was right near the top of AG rides. The full won't be quite as hilly due to course configuration, but there are very few flat sections - hopefully it won't be longer than 180k (the 70.3 bike was actually around 58.5 miles). I imagine a bike split of around 5:10-5:20 will be where most guys looking for a KQ will ride. Overall times will definitely be slower than IMMT. Your run strength would help you at Muskoka as it's also quite a hilly run.

I think the biggest advantage at Muskoka over Tremblant for guys like you is that people can't get a tow to T2 at Muskoka. At Tremblant as a very minimum, several 100 are getting 80 kilometers for free...so they only need to ride an honest 100K vs an honest 180K at Muskoka. That is a big kilojoule savings once you get into the last 10-8 miles of the marathon where the KQ slots turn into reality vs "almost grasped". Nate, I think your chances in Muskoka are infinitely better for this reason. You should transfer there if you already have not as I believe you should be able to transfer to any race that is not sold out.

Edit: And all you guys know how much I love the Tremblant venue so I am just saying this objectively for those of you who swim and bike strong...your advantage is magnified in Muskoka
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 13, 14 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I say you are definitely in KQ range, but your bike is relatively weak given the engine on display in the swim and run. You're bike should be closer to 2:22 on that course given what you can swim and run.

The story of my life! Always has been my weakness, it seems no matter what I do in training I always seem to plateau around 4 w/kg which isn't that bad I guess, but being 6'-2" and 153 lbs race weight seems to serve me a lot better in the swim and run than on the bike. Climbing is a bit better, but lets face it, on a course like Tremblant if I push 3.2 W/kg that amounts to around 220 watts, the guy who weighs 25 lbs more and pushes 260 watts, his 3.2 W/kg will pretty much trump mine all the way until Duplessis, at which point there isn't enough time to get back in the game!
I really felt stronger on the bike going in to Tremblant than I feel showed up in the results. Two weeks out I did the Brunel TT which was a pretty hilly 31k and averaged 40.6 kph on 282 watts (Dev you probably know the course as it was the first and last 15k of the old Muskoka chase - straight out Brunel until turning around just before South Portage.) The next day I did the Lake of Bays gran fondo which was the whole Muskoka 70.3 course (minus the single lane bridge in Dorset, we just stayed on the highway which cuts out one fairly significant hill up to hwy 117). I wanted it to be a steady tempo race simulation ride so I only sat in with the group periodically through the first 15k or so, then after Dwight hung about 50m behind the lead group so I could be in the aerobars and out of the draft until they started to yoyo back and forth a lot approaching Dorset so I decided to pass. I put my head down and just pushed what I thought was around my HIM effort (went by feel didn't look at the numbers until afterwards) and fully expected the pack to shut me down a few miles down the road. I felt great on the flat stretch through to Baysville, and never looked back once but I could see the shadow of one guy right on my wheel. When I sat up and tried unsuccessfully to grab some water/calories in Baysville (I bounced both my bottles out the brutal roads at the beginning) I found out that I had two guys on my wheel, and the pack was nowhere in sight. Settled back in at the front of the paceline again and shortly afterwards it was down to two. I was still just setting a steady pace, but now also thinking about the win! I knew if I attacked on south portage and could get out of sight I would probably be gone (unless I bonked since I was now riding the 94k on absolutely zero calories) Still feeling good on south portage so when that nasty steep hill came and I saw it was gravel I attacked and never saw the guy again. Hung on as best I could hoping not to bonk and ended up crossing the line with just under a seven minute gap. I rode the muskoka course in 2:31 which was 12 minutes better than my previous PB I set in the 2013 70.3. All this to say that I felt like my bike was really solid heading into Tremblant, maybe my taper wasn't great, maybe it was just an off day.
I think sometimes I unconsciously hold back too much on the bike because I am thinking about the run. I only racked up 168 TSS for the ride so certainly I had room to push a little harder. That being said I was also thinking about an earlier half I had done where I hit the same TSS and then dropped a 1:22 run-which is stupid fast for me (even on a flat course under optimal conditions), and felt great doing it. So I knew I could run really well off of 170 TSS. 180-190 TSS was a bit more of a question mark.
I've never done a really high volume cycling period, so maybe I'll try that over the winter. I've always felt like the running and swimming just came a lot more naturally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you rode 220W for a 2:28?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 226 NP, only 215 avg, if I recall I was sitting closer to 220 until the last turn-around, but the last 8 k was at really low power, partially spinning out the legs from the climbs, but mostly trying to empty my bladder before the run. Can't pedal and pee at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell us more about you mix of training. You might need to bike more or run more frequntly to get better quaslity on your rides.

I also wonder if you have some improvements in position and bike setup. Your tall but lean. With a good position, I think you should be going faster.

I think your on the bubble if you pick thed right race and execute.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:
Quote:
I say you are definitely in KQ range, but your bike is relatively weak given the engine on display in the swim and run. You're bike should be closer to 2:22 on that course given what you can swim and run.

The story of my life! Always has been my weakness, it seems no matter what I do in training I always seem to plateau around 4 w/kg which isn't that bad I guess, but being 6'-2" and 153 lbs race weight seems to serve me a lot better in the swim and run than on the bike. Climbing is a bit better, but lets face it, on a course like Tremblant if I push 3.2 W/kg that amounts to around 220 watts, the guy who weighs 25 lbs more and pushes 260 watts, his 3.2 W/kg will pretty much trump mine all the way until Duplessis, at which point there isn't enough time to get back in the game!
I really felt stronger on the bike going in to Tremblant than I feel showed up in the results. Two weeks out I did the Brunel TT which was a pretty hilly 31k and averaged 40.6 kph on 282 watts (Dev you probably know the course as it was the first and last 15k of the old Muskoka chase - straight out Brunel until turning around just before South Portage.) The next day I did the Lake of Bays gran fondo which was the whole Muskoka 70.3 course (minus the single lane bridge in Dorset, we just stayed on the highway which cuts out one fairly significant hill up to hwy 117). I wanted it to be a steady tempo race simulation ride so I only sat in with the group periodically through the first 15k or so, then after Dwight hung about 50m behind the lead group so I could be in the aerobars and out of the draft until they started to yoyo back and forth a lot approaching Dorset so I decided to pass. I put my head down and just pushed what I thought was around my HIM effort (went by feel didn't look at the numbers until afterwards) and fully expected the pack to shut me down a few miles down the road. I felt great on the flat stretch through to Baysville, and never looked back once but I could see the shadow of one guy right on my wheel. When I sat up and tried unsuccessfully to grab some water/calories in Baysville (I bounced both my bottles out the brutal roads at the beginning) I found out that I had two guys on my wheel, and the pack was nowhere in sight. Settled back in at the front of the paceline again and shortly afterwards it was down to two. I was still just setting a steady pace, but now also thinking about the win! I knew if I attacked on south portage and could get out of sight I would probably be gone (unless I bonked since I was now riding the 94k on absolutely zero calories) Still feeling good on south portage so when that nasty steep hill came and I saw it was gravel I attacked and never saw the guy again. Hung on as best I could hoping not to bonk and ended up crossing the line with just under a seven minute gap. I rode the muskoka course in 2:31 which was 12 minutes better than my previous PB I set in the 2013 70.3. All this to say that I felt like my bike was really solid heading into Tremblant, maybe my taper wasn't great, maybe it was just an off day.
I think sometimes I unconsciously hold back too much on the bike because I am thinking about the run. I only racked up 168 TSS for the ride so certainly I had room to push a little harder. That being said I was also thinking about an earlier half I had done where I hit the same TSS and then dropped a 1:22 run-which is stupid fast for me (even on a flat course under optimal conditions), and felt great doing it. So I knew I could run really well off of 170 TSS. 180-190 TSS was a bit more of a question mark.
I've never done a really high volume cycling period, so maybe I'll try that over the winter. I've always felt like the running and swimming just came a lot more naturally.

OK, I see your problem now (at least I think so). It's the 6'2" part of the 153 lbs. You need to talk to Rapp about how taller guys like you get more aero. I have had a few friends like you who are over 6 feet and 140-150 lbs who climb like crazy, but are (relatively speaking) Aero sails. My 223 NP watts gave me 2:25 ride time (the other thread explains in detail my elapsed time of 2:29), but I am only 5'6" so even if my aero position is bad, my hole in the wind is likely smaller then yours and we'll both climb the same (by the way, I rode at 3.5W per kilo...but my run just sucks). If your FTP is 280W you should be getting more speed out of those top line watts for sure, so my only answer is that you must be pushing too much wind.

By the way, if you look at last year's Kona top 15 they are all centered around 180 cm and 70-73 kilos. So you're basically in the right weight range and height range, so you must be generating some extra drag for your height.

I'd maintain with your top line watts, 2:22/2:23 on the Tremblant course should have been in reach. Or maybe you were on Gatorskins :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Tell us more about you mix of training. You might need to bike more or run more frequntly to get better quaslity on your rides.

Generally swim twice a week, a third session if I can fit it in. Early in the year I focused on the run training for a 30k race, did the BarryP thing peaking at 80k a week. The higher run volume early on was new to me, so my legs didn't have a whole lot left over to hit the bike too hard. 2, maybe three sessions on the trainer, usually a sufferfest or something, quite often dialed back in intensity. Once the snow finally cleared out here I usually did one sweet spot interval workout on the trainer, one tempo ride for about 90min, and then a longer ride mostly steady z2. Still running 5-6x a week. Did a flat half in june in 4:16, decent ride 2:22, great run 1:22. After that I started the build for Tremblant. June and the first half of july was great. A couple weeks I hit 3-4 swim, 3-4 bike session (key session would be a 3-3.5 hour ride with 4 x 30 min HIM power + some sweet spot/threshold work , other time 1 - 1.5 hours trainer of intervals - tempo/sweet spot, big gear work etc. If I fit a 4th session in it would be a more technique based recovery type workout. Running was 5 times a week, a couple easy runs, one longer one 1.5-2 hrs fairly steady, usually tried to make it hilly if I could find a route. Another 1.5 hour steady working on form. Not much speed work. Often I would do a short 7-8k tempo run after my long ride, but usually didn't have the time to do it immediately after, so it would be in the evening when the kids were in bed. A lot of those key rides would be in the 220-240 TSS range so I think it might have been worthwhile to try and go for a half hour at race pace off of them just to see how the legs responded. Good weeks I hit 16-17 hours, with around 60-70k running. Not sure about the riding mileage as a lot was indoors.
Middle of July got a chest cold, turned into a sinus infection requiring antibiotics. Took a full week off, did absolutely no training until I was sure things were better. Did a few days of easy stuff and felt good so started to dial it up again. But I never was able to get to the same place I was before I got sick. Lots of vacation time, kids not in school etc. I just never really got the same amount of training in. I was lucky to hit more than 14 hrs in a week, but never missed a key bike or run - it was the swim I usually threw under the bus. Before I got sick I think I pushed my CTL for bike/run up to around 110, afterwards I just barely pushed it back up to 100 before tapering. I will say that I felt my best biking was 2-3 weeks before the race - did a couple 3hr+ race simulation rides where I didn't look at the power until after. Just went by feel and usually ended up over my planned race power by about 10 watts.

Quote:
I think your on the bubble if you pick thed right race and execute.

That's what I figure too - fortunately execution is usually something that I do very well. I always make a pretty thorough race plan and stick to it, until 10k to go, then you just do what you gotta do! With a strong bike my first and only IM would have had me positioned for a spot. 1 hr swim, and a 3:28 run (coming off injury, no running for 5 weeks leading up to the race). But the 5:35 ride had me way out of contention. But, I wasn't in a position to accept a spot even if I did get it, the goal for the day was get to the end. The ride was meant to be easy, and it was! Right now I think a 57-58 swim and a 3:15ish run isn't out of the question, which means I don't need to go <5 hrs on the bike, but still need a significant improvement in that department.
Last edited by: cl60guy: Sep 14, 14 19:22
Quote Reply
Re: Question for KQ guys that were racing 70.3 WC in Tremblant [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'd maintain with your top line watts, 2:22/2:23 on the Tremblant course should have been in reach. Or maybe you were on Gatorskins :-)

Attack/Force w/ latex, but I'd maintain that at Tremblant a 2:19 was in reach at well under my top-line watts - but lets not open that can of worms again!

BTW, I did see your other post, didn't chime in there but very well played sir, playing it even more than straight! Wish there were more athletes like you in the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think at 88% of your top line watts, so lets say 240-245W you should definitely be in the 2:20 range. As a point of reference, see the IM Whistler wattage thread. Jeff Symonds is 160 lbs and biked 4:50 off 240W on a tougher course than Tremblant. Whistler has 150m more vertical per 90K and it also has rougher pavement than Tremblant. You might be a touch taller than Jeff too. I suppose the question is "how much slower do you run if you bike harder" Or maybe you get more slippery and bike the same watts and bike faster and still run just as fast. It seems like you can bike a bit harder assuming you have the mileage in the legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike 6 days a week, run 6 days a week swim as much as you can fit in logistically/schedule...ideally 4 or 5 swims.

Do that, maximize your trasining load mixing bike workoutd, asnd I think youll see results.... or your social/family life goes to shit....maybe both.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply