Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about the steering tube insert # answered (brain trap)
Quote | Reply
What can be the reasons for the insert to come out of the steering tube about 0,3mm after 40k? It is glued in with the special 2CA that came with the fork. The headset cup was always closed relatively tight because of cobblestones on my way home in our city und the stem screws tightened with 6Nm as they should.

Could that relate with a printing on the steering tube from the upper stem clamp on the screw side ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Feb 9, 17 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Question about the steering tube insert [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long have you owned it?
Quote Reply
Re: Question about the steering tube insert [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On February, 11th is the second birthday of the bike ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Feb 8, 17 23:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this a 3T fork? 3T uses a similar insert that is glued with two part epoxy. I've had the bond fail several times on different bikes; it always starts out looking like this. Tap it with a hammer, and it will push down.

So you need to pull it out, remove as much dried epoxy as possible (use sandpaper to remove the dried epoxy from the insert and lightly sand the inside of the steerer), clean the insert and inside of steerer with isopropyl, and rebond with 2 part epoxy.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
poor mixing of 2 part epoxy and or finger grease on the insert or tube before application of epoxy.

I had one start to pull out once, but it also took the carbon fro steerer with it as a result of a car hitting me
Quote Reply
Re: Question about the steering tube insert [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
poor mixing of 2 part epoxy and or finger grease on the insert or tube before application of epoxy.

I had one start to pull out once, but it also took the carbon fro steerer with it as a result of a car hitting me

In general, I agree this could be a cause. In my case, the failures took a few years each, on cross bikes that were ridden quite harshly. And I have a lot of experience in carbon fabrication, so I am relatively sure my mixing and cleanliness were proper.

If this happens quickly on a bike not exposed to harsh surfaces, then I agree with you that this is due to faulty installation.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Question about the steering tube insert [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We can't apply any force to move the insert, it is bomb proof fixed in the steering tube. The mechanic of my trust and myself start to believe we just made it like that. There was never any problem until the head set had to be replaced. Thanks for the thoughts, sorry for the time, it looks like our brains build a trap that worked ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply