Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by sbrrepeat
Re: Question about low heart rate after a long swim [sbrrepeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sbrrepeat wrote:
This morning I planned to swim 90 minutes/approximately 3 miles. I enjoy getting in the water, zoning out, and just going back and forth completely disconnected from everything other than the whoosh of the water. I’m never pushing myself, it’s just a casual pace. My swim’s purpose is nothing more than enjoyment (stated so I don’t get told it’s a useless workout…)

After 90 minutes today, I didn’t feel like stopping so I swam another 30 minutes/approximately a mile. At the end of the 2 hours/approx. 4 miles, I still wasn’t tired and wanted to keep going, but duties of the day were calling. I immediately took my heart rate upon stopping expecting it to be around 100-110 (where it usually after a swim when I sporadically take it), but it was only 70 bpm. Thinking that had to be wrong, I took it again a minute later and it was in the 60s.

My question is, with a heart rate that low, am I getting any physical benefit from the swim? (Even if the answer is no, it won’t change my beloved swim approach, it’s just a question of curiosity.)

What is your resting HR first thing in the morning, before getting out of bed???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Question about low heart rate after a long swim [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mid to high 30s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sbrrepeat wrote:
Mid to high 30s

That's what I was thinking, very low resting HR. If we take 35 vs 70, you're at double your resting rate, which would be like the avg person w/ RHR of 70 going 140. I think you've just gotten yourself in such good swimming shape that even a 4-mi swim does not cause your HR to be high at the end. Maybe you should not even bother with the B and R and just be a swimmer??? I'll bet 95% of ST could not swim 4 miles easy and end with a HR of only double their RHR. Also, though your HR never got high at all, I'd bet your arms and shoulders feel at least somewhat sore, or will feel sore tomorrow, since I'm guessing you don't swim 4 miles every day.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that makes sense. The water was colder than usual today as well, so I'm thinking that may have factored in.

No, I don't swim 4 miles every day...once or twice a week I swim 2-3 miles, but 4 miles happens every month or two (usually without soreness since there isn't a big difference between 3 & 4 miles, and I don't push it.) (Yes, I have permanent goggle marks.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sbrrepeat wrote:
Thanks, that makes sense. The water was colder than usual today as well, so I'm thinking that may have factored in.

No, I don't swim 4 miles every day...once or twice a week I swim 2-3 miles, but 4 miles happens every month or two (usually without soreness since there isn't a big difference between 3 & 4 miles, and I don't push it.) (Yes, I have permanent goggle marks.)

Are you swimming OW or pool???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 50m pool that is usually 77-78*F but was 76.X today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sbrrepeat wrote:
A 50m pool that is usually 77-78*F but was 76.X today.

Ah, I see. I would be a little chilly after 2 hrs in 76* water, unless the air T was pretty warm and it was sunny.

Quote Reply